New member with a Tree ID question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JlemmondNC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
IMG_0417.JPG IMG_0419.JPG IMG_0412.JPG IMG_0326.JPG Hi I'm a new member from the Piedmont of NC. Helped a friend cut down some trees today and was wondering if I could some help as to the species. I'm thinking Hickory or Maple.

Thanks in advance guys! Love this forum!

When I was in college I did some work for a guy who told me about the last guy he had helping him...

Kid was splitting wood for him. Got to a piece of Sweet gum and the guy told him to just throw that one to the side. Kid said he'd split it anyhow. Drove a wedge in until it was completely buried. "Well...what are you going to do now". Kid flipped it over and drove another wedge in from the other side. Sunk that one too without splitting the log.

I haven't tried it myself, but that is all I needed to hear to not try! We don't have much up here. Not native to this area, and not enough people are willing to tolerate the balls they drop so they aren't widely planted.

When my grandma was still here I would go visit. On the way I picked up her groceries. I would mow her grass and anything else that needed done. One day she had about two pickup loads of wood that needed to be split. This was very important to her since it was the only heat she had. That was my introduction to splitting sweet gum by hand using a sledge and steel wedges. Twenty years later, she has since gone, and my back still hurts but not as much as my heart missing that crazy old coot, and her fried chicken.

When my grandma was still here I would go visit. On the way I picked up her groceries. I would mow her grass and anything else that needed done. One day she had about two pickup loads of wood that needed to be split. This was very important to her since it was the only heat she had. That was my introduction to splitting sweet gum by hand using a sledge and steel wedges. Twenty years later, she has since gone, and my back still hurts but not as much as my heart missing that crazy old coot, and her fried chicken.

My father in law was a foreman for Davey Tree, did it for 30 years. He taught me a lot but passed away way to soon due to lung cancer.

I can't crank a chainsaw without thinking of him. I still have an 009 that belonged to him. I let it eat every once in a while, kinda my way of paying my respects I guess.

IMG_0288.JPG IMG_0312.JPG
That next one is hickory.

Yes sir! I took it down today. When I go back there's another one right next to it that's coming home to. My wife's family has a horse farm with 15 acre stretch that's littered with them. I've never seen such a concentration of them like it before. It all gets used as cook wood for my BBQ catering business.

Back