New MS462 C-M...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told at a dealer that they were told the saw won't be available until mid 2018. Not sure if that's old news to everyone already.

So essentially this saw is a 441c on a diet, but with more power.

I sure was hoping for the 461's 77cc engine displacement....

So essentially this saw is a 441c on a diet, but with more power.

I sure was hoping for the 461's 77cc engine displacement....

interesting point ? ... This saw replaces both. The 441 & 462. (may be irrelevant)

60, 70, 72, 76, 88ish, 92, 121cc, between both manufactures ... Should accommodate "Anything left standing" idk.

This seems to be the largest MS462 thread, so I will post here.

Ran a brand new one this week: never been run in wood, new 25" bar, new STIHL RS chain. Weight was impressive, speed was impressive, but I was able to bog it down several times cutting up a variety of wood (storm damaged willow, spruce, maple, etc.). Anyone else? First impressions, but I do not recall the MS461 doing this, and I did not have them side-by-side for comparison. Does this saw have less torque than the MS461? Maybe because it was brand new? Just my imagination? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Philbert

I never ran mine stock (muff modded it before I even started it), and a lot of saws (like my 362 C) really improved with break in. Also, I'm running a 20" light bar on mine and square file.

Give it some break in time and see how it improves. Also remember that they have the same HP at peak power, but the 461 has about 6-7% more displacement.

I have had several saws really "morph" with break in time, and others not. I can't explain why (my 462 seemed strong right out of the box). My 044/046 Hybrid gained considerable torque after break in, it was almost surreal!

This seems to be the largest MS462 thread, so I will post here.

Ran a brand new one this week: never been run in wood, new 25" bar, new STIHL RS chain. Weight was impressive, speed was impressive, but I was able to bog it down several times cutting up a variety of wood (storm damaged willow, spruce, maple, etc.). Anyone else? First impressions, but I do not recall the MS461 doing this, and I did not have them side-by-side for comparison. Does this saw have less torque than the MS461? Maybe because it was brand new? Just my imagination? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Philbert

personally I wouldn't make a judgement about a new saw until it had about 10 tanks through it - so say approx 90% of the way there to being "broken in".

I remember new 660s really coming alive at around tank 10-12
461s around tank 6-8
462 I'm not sure probably in that 8 to 10 range.
661 - 10-12 tank range.

Latest posts

Back