New MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys just thought i would bump this thread,Few months ago i was milling with the big girl and about 4ft in this 8ftx 30" log the saw started to rev out ,at first i thought it was out of fuel so i let go of the trigger to let it idle ,whats strange is that i fill the tank before every cut so this had me stumped,when i let the trigger go it would just stay at WOT i tried to kill it on the switch,no good,i ended up throwing the chain brake on and then pushing it hard in the cut ,this worked and it stalled,

after about 1 hour of diagnosing and cleaning i came to the conclusion that it might be fuel related?,sortof,:confused:keeping in mind this thing is still under warranty i didn't want to pull the limmiter tabs off,intial thoughts were that the carb picked up some crap and blocked the circiuts,
anyway after about 3hrs of trying different things and pulling most of the skin from my hands trying to start the bloody thing and yeah some serious kick back going on i boxed it up ready to take to the dealer,
about a week later i dropped it of at the dealer and told them the story ,the first thing i was asked was "have you been running it 25:1",i told oldmate staight up YES and that its not seized or scored ,wel not by looking in through the intake and exhaust, all looked good to me ,all was good so i left it with them ,i rang their techs later that day and he said that it was a fuel problem,not getting any pulse from the crank and that he will have a look inside and get back to me,he pulled the cylinder and found that the impulse port in the case looked blocked and that there was a mark in the cyl which looked like a machining mark and a small piece missing and that the parts would have to be sent to stihl AU,this took like 4 weeks and i am thinking WTF,
anyway they made good with new parts P&C etc and labour all under warranty,good to have it back ,me thinks this saw had a problem all along because it has more grunt/balls now than it did before and it uses more fuel aswell,
gonna run the piss out of it while still under warranty just in case something else :censored:pops up:chainsaw::chainsaw:

I run 40:1

for some reason stihl AU want there big saws run on 25:1 even though the books tell it different

Bob L runs 40:1 on his 880 I figure he got alot more trigger time on his in a month than I put on in a year. I am around 1500 bf a year. So far I am its been Awesome saw. Still have not cross cut with it. Fuel and oil for this beast is a killer though....

I ordered a 088 coil for my 880 and it fit just fine. I sent the saw to Tree Sling'r for porting and it should be back here today. But Ive been using 50:1, maybe I should re think this, even though I'm not milling.

I ordered a 088 coil for my 880 and it fit just fine. I sent the saw to Tree Sling'r for porting and it should be back here today. But Ive been using 50:1, maybe I should re think this, even though I'm not milling.

50:1 should be fine if not milling. You can get into some very long runs when milling....I have had slabs take as much as 20 min's with the idle time....You should be fine at 50:1 but sure will not hurt to go a little heavier. 45:1 maybe?

Yeah fellas ,I too was running all my saws on 40:1 mix after being converted but they really insisted for warranty purposes,and heck if there gonna fix stuff for nothing under warranty ,last thing i want is them shafting me over a little oil diffence

I just picked up a used 088 a few weeks ago. It pulls 140psi cold. Starts up real nice and idles well. Going to set it up for milling as I think my 7900 is getting killed in 30" hardwood.

Just got a new clutch cover (old one had a crack between the studs), a .375 8 pin, and a large mount bar. I also bought some new rings and will put the hd-2 air filter on it.

The muffler on that dude sure seems restrictive, the one on my dolmar is more open. I am not going to mod it until I get a few hours on it and can see what it will do.

I was told to run 40:1 or richer for milling, and I usually put marine stabil or sea foam in the mix also.

Does 140psi sound OK???? Sure do like that de-comp button, I have pulled it without it in and have had my knuckels pop off my fingers---oooooowwwwwweeeeeee---moooooom, sob sob:msp_scared::msp_scared:

I just picked up a used 088 a few weeks ago. It pulls 140psi cold. Starts up real nice and idles well. Going to set it up for milling as I think my 7900 is getting killed in 30" hardwood.

Just got a new clutch cover (old one had a crack between the studs), a .375 8 pin, and a large mount bar. I also bought some new rings and will put the hd-2 air filter on it.

The muffler on that dude sure seems restrictive, the one on my dolmar is more open. I am not going to mod it until I get a few hours on it and can see what it will do.

I was told to run 40:1 or richer for milling, and I usually put marine stabil or sea foam in the mix also.

Does 140psi sound OK???? Sure do like that de-comp button, I have pulled it without it in and have had my knuckels pop off my fingers---oooooowwwwwweeeeeee---moooooom, sob sob:msp_scared::msp_scared:

140 seems on the low side. And yes with out that de-comp mine would blow your arm off!

at 140 psi I may tear this thing down first and hopefully only need new rings. I have a cheap compression tester though, may take it to a buddy that has a better one. Do you have to pull hard and fast to get a higher reading?? That saw ain't no fun to pull with the de-comp out!!!!!

at 140 psi I may tear this thing down first and hopefully only need new rings. I have a cheap compression tester though, may take it to a buddy that has a better one. Do you have to pull hard and fast to get a higher reading?? That saw ain't no fun to pull with the de-comp out!!!!!

If its kicking back like a mule your good...lol I dont trust the tester 100 percent....So use the 140 as a tool if your arm hurts its probally the tester.lol

From what I have read here, the bigger saws can get by on
lower comp than smaller saws. IMO if it starts good, and seems
to have good power. I would leave it alone.

TT

splitpost, or anyone that has the new and improved 880.
Have you ever had it kick back on start-up?

I was thinking the variable ignition timing may help.

Mine had been setting for reasons I will not get into here. No TT wasn't in jail or his wife left him :)
Anyway I went to start her, I think I was to relaxed and it ripped the rope out of my hand, hard.
It left blood marks on my fingers, I went to pull rope again and I think she could smell the fear. :eek:
As she done it 3 times, this has been the only time she has ever done me this way.

By the way I do check the spark plug on this saw more than any other I have.
As you sure can't set the rpm's by ear with it hitting rev limiter.

TT

I feel your pain and understand that apprehension to pull that cord again when it feels like your fingers just about got ripped off.....kinda like getting kicked by a horse and walking up behind and slapping it on the ass for a second go....lol

This may have been posted somewhere and i missed it ,does anyone know if the HD2 filter is available Down under and what sort of coin are we looking at?

Yes they are available here, as for cost I will let you know when I get a chance to chase one up for my 660 or speak to a stihl dealer unless we can get some cheap from OS.

for some reason stihl AU want there big saws run on 25:1 even though the books tell it different

I can assure you that despite many people running their larger saws on 50:1 I would still advise running 25-30:1 in our environment. There simply has to be a reason why the 088/MS880's have been junking themselves on a regular basis in Australia. I think it may be related to people running too lean on their oil ratio - in saying that though I know of a couple of MS880's that have packed it in running 30:1 as well.

Take the following information how you like...

In Tasmania last year I was having a good chat to one of Tasmania's largest Stihl dealers. They are in one of Australia's largest forestry areas for ground based felling although mechanisation is slowly creeping in.
We got onto the topic of oil ratios. They assured me that even in logger's MS660's they noticed a difference between piston and bore wear on saws that ran 25-30:1 oil and those that ran 50:1. After noticing these differences over many years basically all loggers in that area are now running 25-30:1 in their MS660's.
When Stihl and Husqvarna say that their larger saws need more oil they have a reason for this, what that is I'm not sure, but both Stihl and Husky will completely void warranties for saws with piston and cylinder damage if found to have been running non recommended oil rates - even if that is not the cause of the damage. In saws like my Husky 3120 with a fixed H jet I'm not taking any risks. I run 30:1 exclusively and always will.
Remember that with current EPA rules etc if these larger saws could run 50:1 with cleaner exhaust emissions Stihl and Husky would be recommending this.
I'd love to hear feedback from these companies tech guys as to what the reasons are for running higher oil ratios in their larger saws - I bet we'd all feel a lot dumber thinking we know better than they do.

Are you talking about the old dino oils or the new syn. oils....or both?

If not for AS I would have thought my 880 was running way to rich
when new, as with it hitting rev limiter it sounded something like
it was to rich out of the wood.

TT

Are you talking about the old dino oils or the new syn. oils....or both?

If not for AS I would have thought my 880 was running way to rich
when new, as with it hitting rev limiter it sounded something like
it was to rich out of the wood.

TT

Well I know of a couple of MS880's that have let go using full synthetic even at 30:1. As far as manufacturer specs go I can't see why both Stihl and Husky wouldn't be including the latest oil technology when recommending 25:1 - it's not like these saws were built back in the dark ages using motor oil, although they are both of pretty ancient design :)

Back