New Oregon Narrow Kerf Chain and SpeedCut Guide Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
For many years, Oregon has packaged certain loops of chain intended for 'consumer' use, and sold at retail outlets, with a letter-number combination to simplify selection. For example, 3/8 pitch, low profile, .050 gauge, reduced kickback chain (type 91) was designated as 'S', and a loop with 56 drive links is called 'S56' - much easier to remember .

More info at: http://www.oregonproducts.com/homeowner/products/chain/consumer_sawchain_loops.htm

Today at Lowe's I saw new labeling, in a distinctive, black, Oregon package:

photo 3.jpg
photo 2.jpg

This is .325 pitch, .050 gauge, narrow kerf (type 95) chain, labeled as 'Pro Series' 'M' series chain (e.g. 'M66' above). This is confusing, because .325 pitch, .050 gauge, narrow kerf (type 95) chain is also sold as 'G' series chain - I know this because one of my saws runs 'G66' chains (also known as Husqvarna H30 chain with 66 drive links, when SawTroll jumps in!).

(The package, below, is G78 for a longer bar. Older packages do not have the 'Micro-Lite', narrow kerf symbol on the front, but it is clearly type 95 chain)
G78 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg

There was also a 'E' series chain there, but I did not look too closely at that one.

I called Oregon, and it appears to be very new. The technical rep answering the phone had to put me on hold for a few seconds. She stated that this is something new they are trying with 'professional' chains, and that it is currently limited to Lowe's as a test market.

She stated that the 'G' and 'M' series are both type 95 Oregon chains, but that the 'M' chains are not rated as reduced-kickback chains (even though the chain in this package did have bumper drive links).

If you look closely at the drive links in the photo above, you will see some interesting, embossed patterns. Not sure if these are to retain bar oil, or are just decorative.

Do others find these new markings helpful or confusing?

Philbert

Attachments

• G78 2.jpg
    G78 2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 130
I think this is helpful for Joe homeowner who doesn't know how many links, gauge, or pitch. But if he can remember a letter and number sequence it simplifies things.

Have you ever watched a homeowner who didn't bring the old chain along try to buy chain from a store employee who doesn't know saws? It can be comical. On an OT note, one time a hardware store employee told me that Oregon 72 and 73 chains are the same but the 73 chain is better because it is a newer model.....facepalm lol

I look at chain at the box stores occasionally and have never seen it cheaper than I can order it. It actually is much more expensive. Must be the plastic packages?
It's tough to beat Amazon or Frawleys. I try to keep enough loops on hand then pick up the deals as they come along.

I did score a 2 pack of low profile chain for my little saw on clearance at Walmart the other day for a whopping total of $9. :)

I think this is helpful for Joe homeowner who doesn't know how many links, gauge, or pitch. But if he can remember a letter and number sequence it simplifies things.

Have you ever watched a homeowner who didn't bring the old chain along try to buy chain from a store employee who doesn't know saws? It can be comical. On an OT note, one time a hardware store employee told me that Oregon 72 and 73 chains are the same but the 73 chain is better because it is a newer model.....facepalm lol
Damn, lol...I guess 74 will supersede the previous two chains shortly...:dumb:

I've never bought or even paid much attention to chain in box stores but it looks a little confusing.
It's the same chain. Just packaged and labeled differently for the "average" consumer. Usually a store stocks basic chain for the saws they sell. No specialty or exotic stuff.

I order Oregon chain loops and they come in paper boxes. Never heard of E, G or M series?
The paper boxes are provided by Oregon when they sell full rolls of chain. The people that you buy chain from make up loops, and sell them to you. The chains in plastic packaging are loops made up by Oregon for retail sales.

'E' and 'M' are these new labels that I find confusing. 'G' is .325, narrow kerf / 'Micro-Lite' chain, also known as type 95 or Husqvarna H30 chain. Might only be stocked at stores that sell those saws that use it.

I look at chain at the box stores occasionally and have never seen it cheaper than I can order it.

Depends. Often quite expensive in these packs at some hardware stores and home centers. Pretty cheap at the one where 'you save BIG money', especially when on sale.

I have seen Oregon chain go for twice as much in one store than in another. Sometimes so cheap that it is worth buying a longer loop, and spinning it down to fit. if they don't have your size.

Philbert

what is the difference between 72 and 73 oregon chain sorry i just don't know.

I should note, while we are on the subject, that Oregon has a bit of leeway when packaging / labeling chains this way (stop reading now unless you are a chain geek!).

For example. 'S56' is 56 drive links of 3/8, low profile, .o5o gauge chain - 'type 91'. I think that it is always reduced-kickback chain in these packages (?). But if you look at enough packages, you will see:
- some have tie strap bumpers (91VG) and some have drive link bumpers (91P);
- some have embossed ('LubriLink') tie straps, some have conventional tie straps, and some have '4-way tie straps';
- some have 'LubriWell' drive links, designed to help carry bar oil, and some have plain, flat drive links;
- some chain is 'Made in USA', some is 'Made in Canada', some is 'Made in Brazil', some is 'Made in China from components made in USA or Brazil', some is now probably 'Made in China'.

Many consumers don't care about these small differences. People on this site might (Google each if interested). Every 'S56' chain will fit the same saws, but if you bought several at different times, or at different stores, you might notice the difference.

Philbert

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/help-w-oregon-chain-codes-and-filing-specs.232089/

I should note, while we are on the subject, that Oregon has a bit of leeway when packaging / labeling chains this way (stop reading now unless you are a chain geek!).

For example. 'S56' is 56 drive links of 3/8, low profile, .o5o gauge chain - 'type 91'. I think that it is always reduced-kickback chain in these packages (?). But if you look at enough packages, you will see:
- some have tie strap bumpers (91VG) and some have drive link bumpers (91P);
- some have embossed ('LubriLink') tie straps, some have conventional tie straps, and some have '4-way tie straps';
- some have 'LubriWell' drive links, designed to help carry bar oil, and some have plain, flat drive links;
- some chain is 'Made in USA', some is 'Made in Canada', some is 'Made in Brazil', some is 'Made in China from components made in USA or Brazil', some is now probably 'Made in China'.

Many consumers don't care about these small differences. People on this site might (Google each if interested). Every 'S56' chain will fit the same saws, but if you bought several at different times, or at different stores, you might notice the difference.

Philbert

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/help-w-oregon-chain-codes-and-filing-specs.232089/
As you noted, 99% of folks buying chain from a big box neither know nor care about these. I am assuming they must just throw in whatever they have when a bulk order comes in?

But i only use stihl brand chain anymore since i got ahold of some oregon that would lose a cutter inside green hackberry
but i know oregon has good chain if you avoid the made in china crap.

It's bad enough now with dual part numbers and an out of date website, but at least the yellow label box has both part numbers printed in the upper left corner. The black label box only lists the new number. It's time someone at Oregon sat the marketing gurus down and had a serious talk with them.

agree maybe oregon should follow the saw manufactures and use there numbers as a cross reference then it wouldn't be near as awful searching for chain.
sorry for the blurry picture. But this is much easier to me and not near as confusing.
20150820_114841.jpg

Back