New Oregon Narrow Kerf Chain and SpeedCut Guide Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried the "advancecut" line of 3/8 low profile chain?
Sure that it is low profile?

I thought 'AdvanceCut' was just a re-badging of Oregon 'Vanguard' chain (full 3/8 pitch)?

AdvanceCut™ Saw Chain
An ideal, low kickback chain for occasional and commercial users. Oregon 72V chain. The low-vibration full chisel cutters offer top performance to the user while also providing a smooth cutting experience via our unique, patented bent over depth gauge.

Screen shot 2018-02-21 at 4.01.23 PM.png

Philbert

I am showing S56 loops of Advancecut 3/8 LP for $6.88 a piece shipped.
Yep. That appears to be the case. Looks like basic 'Type 91' chain (3/8 low profile, .050 gauge).
Sale price?
Screen shot 2018-02-21 at 4.04.59 PM.png
Screen shot 2018-02-21 at 4.05.05 PM.png
Actually it appears to be sold by Amazon for that same price as well. At that price it hardly is worth sharpening used loops.
Not if you have to pay someone (just collect them and send them to me for proper disposal).

Philbert

Here are the new product families:
Screen shot 2018-02-21 at 4.11.29 PM.png
PowerCut = full chisel chain (round or square ground); may be reduced-kickback or not.
SpeedCut = narrow kerf (.325 only).
VersaCut = semi-chisel chain.
ControlCut = also semi-chisel chain.
DuraCut = extra thick layer of chrome (used to be Multi-Cut).
RipCut = semi-chisel ripping chain.
Sculptor = 1/4" pitch full comp and full house chains indented for carving (but not all 1/4" pitch chains!).
AdvanceCut = consumer oriented chains, including Type 90 (3/8" narrow kerf, but not all 3/8" low profile chains) and the former 'Vanguard' chain.
PowerSharp = PowerSharp chain.

See how much easier they made it for us?

Philbert

Yep. That appears to be the case. Looks like basic 'Type 91' chain (3/8 low profile, .050 gauge).
Sale price?
View attachment 634754
View attachment 634755

Not if you have to pay someone (just collect them and send them to me for proper disposal).

Philbert
im using this in my lil echo right now from amazon... used 2 times its good enough the palm trees dont care. seemed less grabby then vxl.... not sure long term but easy to get and cheap.... seemed to sharpen easy....

im using this in my lil echo right now from amazon... used 2 times its good enough the palm trees dont care. seemed less grabby then vxl.... not sure long term but easy to get and cheap.... seemed to sharpen easy....

It says designed and made in the USA on the back of the package that made me happy....

Sort of like what they did with the bars a few years ago, added a bunch of words but for the most part if you just use the letters and numbers of code instead of the new words things are the same.

Control cut seems to be 1/4 and 0.325, actually is (called in the .325) BPX which they call micro chisel I think it gets bumper drive links. From the description in the picture on post #167 I was hoping for pole saw chain.
Versa cut seems not to be in 0.325 but .404,3/8 and 3/8lp sometimes called micro chisel sometimes called semi chisel sometimes not called out as far as I followed the links.
Chamfer chisel gets now an additional name of Advance cut.
I started here https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/ControlCut™-Saw-Chain,-20"/p/H78
If anyone wants to figure out how to shop for the new oil distributing features on the drive links like the new NK stuff has please post which ones.

They let a price slip out for the 25 feet of full house sculptor https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/Sculptor™-Saw-Chain,-25'-Reel/p/25F025R

sculptor is control cut but control cut is not necessarily sculptor?

Sort of like what they did with the bars a few years ago, . . .
I started here https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/ControlCut™-Saw-Chain,-20"/p/H78
I am not happy with these name changes, but I am not a marketing guru. Also do not like the changes to their website, and have sent them some comments on that. Used to be much easier to find technical product information. But, again, it is their website.

The best information I can currently find is in their big catalog, which is available on-line, or in a PDF format. Go to: 'Oregonproducts.com', select 'Product Support', then '2018 Print Catalog'. Lots of pages. Lots of information. But you have to page through a lot of stuff to find it. It would be nice if they would have better summary information pages, along with translation links like "'Multi-Cut' is now 'DuraCut'", etc. for long time customers.

I don't see the 'VG' chains (bumper tie straps) listed, which are still popular with pole saw users, except on the spare parts page. And I don't see their '4-way tie straps' listed (used to be OEM on the least expensive saws). Might be discontinued? Might still be available to OEM suppliers? Hard to know.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back