New pro 50cc saw options, no auto tune or mtronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t need any loops myself I run Oregon 72 or 75 ck, build my own loops same as you I’m sure,I hand file it before it gets dull, used to grind with a silvey swing arm but a guy named ...... Payne stole it

Man I don’t know if that is joke or not, I have no problem starting any saw, I mean I haven’t owned an 880 or a 3120 husky, I had rotator cuff ,labrum,bicep tendon surgery I didn’t get my balls cut off! An easy start wtf, I don’t want to use one of my woods ported 461 falling saws to cut firewood because it is a woods ported falling saw, I like the little 261 stihl, my neighbor has one that I ran Sat. Dang lol
No joke, I was being very serious.
I'd rather run something than nothing, you go and re-injure the fix and you may not even be running a saw at all, everyone gets to make their own decisions and they also get to live with them.
I like the 261 also, but I prefer the handling of the 550's.
The 461 is a great saw for bucking/felling, but if I have to limb I'd rather have the huskys/dolmars(7910) in hand. Why wouldn't you use a woods ported 461 for firewood, they are great with a 24-32 for bucking and noodling big logs? But if you only need a 261 to cut your firewood then why carry around a 461.
Don’t need any loops myself I run Oregon 72 or 75 ck, build my own loops same as you I’m sure,I hand file it before it gets dull, used to grind with a silvey swing arm but a guy named eu..ne Payne stole it
I don't build my own, for the price/time it doesn't add up for me currently, I get loops for no need at this point, really liking the exl chains. Where having a breaker/spinner would be nice is on damaged 24's to make them into shorter lengths, those loops just become skip tooth or skip teeth ones lol. I also handfile quite often and run semi-chisel/semi-slow :) in the real dirty stuff. Sorry about the grinder, that stuff upsets me, lost a nice 2153 that way :rare2:. I like my grinders :yes:. The simington square grinders are a nice replacement for the silvey swing arm, but they also aren't cheap.

Yeah, You are correct & I have been warned about reinjuring,been 9 wks& have to have the other one done in Oct.anyhow thanks for info always like to read your posts as you have a wealth of knowledge, I’m gonna leave this guys post alone thanks again

Yeah, You are correct & I have been warned about reinjuring,been 9 wks& have to have the other one done in Oct.anyhow thanks for info always like to read your posts as you have a wealth of knowledge, I’m gonna leave this guys post alone thanks again
This is for everyone to post :) I got my answer already, very interested in the dolmar 5105.

I have the top end off of the 550 and I’m gonna clean and test and seal everything up. Gonna smooth out some castings in the transfers as well while I’m at it. If I still don’t get what I want out of this saw after, it’s going on the shelf .

:laughing:.
They are good saws though for the price. If you're cutting smaller wood(4-10") with stock saws and chains the 250 won't be far behind the 261 so for firewood it hardly even matters, if you get over 10" wood the 261 will pull away. I'd still rather have the 261, it has a better feel to it and if needed I could cut a full 18" which is what I like on a 50cc saw(even though I have a 16" picco setup on mine). If I had to have a new stock plastic saw it would be the 450 husky since the filter is easy to clean and it handles better than the stihls also the newest ones come with flippy caps :clap:. The 450 has nearly identical specs as a 353 but adds .02 lbs lol, great saws but they are always in the shadows of the pro saws and the semi-pro saws(mag case without the xp designation). The 250 weighs less than all of them at just over 10lbs but only 3 hp, and the 261 is in the middle, but has the most hp of the 50cc saws at 4hp and the 5105 is right on it's heals at 3.9hp but it's a little fat at 11.9lbs(and feels heavier in hand to me and I don't like the handling).
Lots of choices, I like to try them all, why limit yourself :D.

for the most part all saws are great saws if used as intended, but fun is where you find it and this forum with all of the teasing can be a lot fo fun. :)

Thanks for the complement.
Certainly don't want to see anyone out of commission, been there myself and its not fun. I'm glad I can still pull over whatever saw I choose, I've got messed up shoulders myself, have to take care of what we got:cheers:.

for the most part all saws are great saws if used as intended, but fun is where you find it and this forum with all of the teasing can be a lot fo fun. :)
Your right, but the all orange ones are still the best :D.
Sure you know I'll run them all though, as I always say hand me a saw with a sharp chain and full tanks and let's cut.
You getting that little 346 all fixed up now.

Your right, but the all orange ones are still the best :D.
Sure you know I'll run them all though, as I always say hand me a saw with a sharp chain and full tanks and let's cut.
You getting that little 346 all fixed up now.

Yeah I would happily use any saw that is tuned right with a good sharp chain. I only chose husky's for my fleet becasue it was easier to get OEM parts for them on the internet. The new tank/handle for the 346NE is in route from one of the members, the oe I plugged the hole in the oil tnak with some devcon plastic steel and it is holding up good to date.

How's life treating you over there?

Yeah I would happily use any saw that is tuned right with a good sharp chain. I only chose husky's for my fleet becasue it was easier to get OEM parts for them on the internet. The new tank/handle for the 346NE is in route from one of the members, the oe I plugged the hole in the oil tnak with some devcon plastic steel and it is holding up good to date.

How's life treating you over there?
Very well over here thanks.
That devcon is some good stuff.
It is nice to be able to order the parts online, and your situation makes it even more of a requirement.
I just drove 45min to a stihl dealer to get a fuel line for a 361 I sold, they had it in stock and I like to support them vs the dealer 5min from my house.
Wouldn't you know as soon as I shipped it I found one in a bag on the shelf :laugh:, oh well.
I ran a couple 346's today, I liked that part of the day :).

Hey OP, did you get a saw yet?

I would try a 501P from echo, only complaint I have is there weird bar and chain DL. I believe Echo is the best bang for the buck out there.
Try a small mount husky bar. I think you could make it work and run standard DL chains. I run 16" 3/8lp on my 490 so no way around odd DL counts for me.

I would try a 501P from echo, only complaint I have is there weird bar and chain DL. I believe Echo is the best bang for the buck out there.
a lot of folks have made mention that they are coming up at the moment. be nice to see echo moving up if they are offering a good balance of price vs quality.

Dolkita has the same bang for the buck, in general more power/weight and less plasticky.
Maybe in the US the bang/buck ratio is different, but here in Europe the only reason to buy echo is if you really like that dealer (but most of the time they'll preffer to sell you a dolmar anyway).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Dolkita, almost 12# for a 50cc saw. Steve
English is not my mother tonque. Do you mean 12th place on the top 50cc chart?
That would be bad.

Or 12 bang for the buck?

Or do you even mean it's a 12 (like 1 better than "This one goes to eleven")

I'm not a huge Dolkita fan BTW.
I like using the 7900 and 6100 and probably going for the 420 this winter. But I like the husky 550 more than the 5105 and would trade my 7910 against a 390 XP in a heartbeat.
But on price and quality they are hard to beat.

English is not my mother tonque. Do you mean 12th place on the top 50cc chart?
That would be bad.

Or 12 bang for the buck?

Or do you even mean it's a 12 (like 1 better than "This one goes to eleven")

I'm not a huge Dolkita fan BTW.
I like using the 7900 and 6100 and probably going for the 420 this winter. But I like the husky 550 more than the 5105 and would trade my 7910 against a 390 XP in a heartbeat.
But on price and quality they are hard to beat.

Hes saying it weighs 12lbs, it's a fat 50cc saw.
A ported 7900/7910 will stomp a 390, and they are lighter, great saws. I'm not a fan of the 5105 or the 6100, just dont like tue feel, but if I needed an easy start saw id own them as they are built well. I do like the 4300 too(we dont have the 420/421 here), the master control feels cheap, but it does the job.
I like the 550 best too.

Back