new property owner - introduction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naptown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m brand new around here and wanted to introduce myself. I go by NAPTOWN on some other forums, so there’s that. I grew up on 3.5 acres then went to college and ended up in a subdivision. I closed on a 10 acre property yesterday and I’m excited about the future. I have a wife and 3 daughters (13, 11, 4). We have a 8 month old golden retriever. We will likely wait a couple of years to build. Hoping building costs subside, we can save, design, and dream until then. The property is a rectangle and about 70% of it is being farmed. The northern 3 acres is a wooded flood plain.

I took wood working in high school and I’ve been interested in woodworking since. Unfortunately, 15 years of subdivision living hasn’t allowed me to do many projects. I’m excited to clean up the woods. We went and had our first bonfire last night and watched the sun set. It’s never going to get old. I’m looking forward to learning more about trees and identifying them. I’ve just never been good at that but I hope to learn it.

I have my father’s 40 year old Echo CS-550EVL that will be put back into service. I’m a total DIYer, so I couldn’t resist ordering a Farmertec 660 parts kit. I’m going to build a 36” saw to use with a mill. I’ve never milled lumber but I’m excited to mill some of the downed trees. I don’t have an ATV or tractor (yet), so being able to remove large trees by milling seems great. I want to cut some slabs and create benches at several places on the property including the trail head and bonfire site(s).

I really would like to build a “tree house” (permanent hunting blind) for the kids to have something to do when we are there for hours. I also need to have a place to securely store some tools, saw, etc.. In the winter months we can definitely use it as a blind. It might be a fun place to sleep on an air mattress if anyone doesn’t want to “rough it” in a tent.

I’ve done some waterfowl hunting in the past. I can’t wait to see the variety of ducks that pass through this wooded flood plain. In addition, I’m excited to hopefully take my first deer on this property. I’ve never hunted big game but I’m have a buddy who can show me everything. I wanted to use a bow, but I think I’m kind of leaning towards a crossbow at this point. I have an interest in firearms. I likely won’t do a LOT of shooting on the property, but it’ll be more than what I could ever dream of doing on my 1/3 acre in a subdivision. I do envision lots of 22lr being shot through a silencer that I purchased years ago. I used to do some reloading and that hobby may rekindle as well.

Thanks for sticking around if you made it to the end of my post. Kind of a lot to unpack there. This really does feel like a dream. Like a dream come true.

First sunset - Copy.png

Living the dream! Sounds nice. Wish I had some property. Just had a little 'chat' with a neighbor about my splitter. They didn't like the noise, but we got it worked out after a bit of head butting. It would be nice to be away from people where I can be noisy with guns and chainsaws.

Where you at?

Back