new rec. climber wants acronym help and starter tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80'sfirefighter

Reaction score
Hi, I have done some free tree climbing , some belayed, some w/ spurs and waist belt w/wire core rope, and want to get better and be able to do it different than my basic rock technique. I want to get modern tree no spur technique.
I have done all mine making it up as I go.

What book do I get ? that would explain the basics and tell me what is usable and modern vs. the arcane but possible.

I have two decent old rock 11mm ropes and a 7/16 sailing static rope, rock harness and figure 8 and stitcht plate.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
There's a book called The Tree Climber's Companion written by Jeff Jepson. That's a great way to start.

Before you go aloft again, you should (is "must" too strong of a word?) buy yourself a new saddle specifically designed for tree climbing and new rope. The rope is your LIFELINE. Don't trust your life to gear that's just okay: it really needs to be in top quality condition.

Unlike rock climbing, when tree climbing the rope and saddle support your weight almost 100% of the time. (Unless you intentionally stand up on a limb to unweight your rope/saddle.)

Third, try to hook up with some local rec. climbers. I read books and tried some things myself, but when I climbed for the first time with Moss (from this group), it all made much more sense and Moss knew a lot more about safety than I got from reading the books.

thanks

Thanks Bob,
For the book title and the caution about gear.

I will also look for people to climb with out here as I am also just learning how to use this site.

Marc

Latest posts

Back