New Saw Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhiggyhiggy

Reaction score
Y'all,

What's the difference between the Sthil MS 261 and 291? Do they both have metal chassis? The Echo Timberwolf looks good on paper, are they reliable, I don't mind maintenance and assume I will need to brush up on carb adjustments either way I go but I wouldn't like to have to perform it in the middle of my job. As far as cost, I develop land on the coast in Oregon so I'd say I need something to use infrequently but pretty heavy work when it is used. My first job will be about 3-6 6-8" cedars and have 2 days to get it done. Any help? Thanks

I like the weight and durability of the 261. 18-20" bar, .325.
Not for heavy logging, but it's enough saw to get in deep trouble.
Love it for limbing, or as a bucket saw after the 200t is maxed.

Im not necessarily a stihl guy, but I've used both models, if I had the choice I'd get the ms261. Very reliable, good power to weight, starts easy, handles decently. I dont know if I'd go bigger then a 20 b&c on it though. My uncles had an 18" b&c and it eats oak for breakfast. If you wanted something bigger, I'd go with the ms362 if stihl was my only choice. If not I'd get a husqy 562xp.

Almost bought a 261 CM, but they were out of them at the dealership that day, and I went for the 362 CM instead, because I wanted the Mtronic. Echoing what everyone else has said, the 261 with the Mtronic seems like the way to go. I don't see any confirmation of this on the Stihl site, but my understanding is that the professional Stihl saws are metal, and the homeowner/farm saws are plastic.

You would likely have a quicker informative response in the chainsaw forum. The professional saws have magnesium cases so you don’t want to store them sitting on concrete as opposed to the plastic cases where it doesn’t matter. You can easily rebuild the top end on the professional saws however and they are a bit lighter with a bit more power, and significantly more expensive. I have an ms271, farm boss, that I have been trying to kill for the past 10 years of seasonal use and it is still running strong. As long as you maintain your saw with fresh pre-mix, clean air filter, and sharp chain it will serve you for a long time. If you don’t use the saw for several months make sure you run it dry using true fuel or VP.

Of those 3, if you're talking about occasional heavy use, I'd pick the 590. The 261 is a great saw, but the 590 has a substantial displacement advantage.

Huge price advantage too. It depends on his need though, If you don’t need a bigger bar I would go 261. It’s a good bit lighter than the 590. I own a 590 too.

What about a CS490, magnesium case, rim sprocket, easy to muffler mod, only $350.
The CS490 is also a good choice , depending on frequency and form of usage . Continuous hardwood use I would advise Stihl 362 otherwise a smaller 261 or either echo will suffice and be a reliable saw , especially within the size of cedar the op mentioned .

Y'all,

What's the difference between the Sthil MS 261 and 291? Do they both have metal chassis? The Echo Timberwolf looks good on paper, are they reliable, I don't mind maintenance and assume I will need to brush up on carb adjustments either way I go but I wouldn't like to have to perform it in the middle of my job. As far as cost, I develop land on the coast in Oregon so I'd say I need something to use infrequently but pretty heavy work when it is used. My first job will be about 3-6 6-8" cedars and have 2 days to get it done. Any help? Thanks
I own a Sthil 026. It's a 50 cc saw. The 260 was a newer saw. My Echo cs490 cuts as well as the MS 026. I own the Sthil MS 290. It's a 54cc saw. With a Muffler Mod a Rim drive good bar and chain it out cuts the MS 026 and cs490. It's a big heavy saw.
I own a Echo cs590. It out cuts the Sthil MS 029. It's a 59 cc or 60 cc saw. DOES NOT come with a Rim drive. On hardwood the 20 or 24 inch bar works well IF you keep the chain sharp and DON'T LAY on the saw. It's not a speed demon but it out cuts the MS 029 and thr weight is comparable. I bucked a tree today Saturday 9-15-20 and flush cut a stump with the MS 029 using a 24 inch bar. The bar didn't go all way across the stump because the tree was bigger than my bar reach. I use my Echo cs 590 when I get a really big tree. I use a 28 inch bar and sometimes need to cut from both sides of the tree when making my face cut and back cut. So far I've not needed a bigger saw or longer bar in several years. If I were to recommend a saw to use a couple times a week I'd say the CS 590 with a 20 and 24 inch bar for Pin Oak and Hickory mostly. A 60 cc saw is not to big nor to little. The Echo cs490 is a decent saw but for limbing and small stuff it's easy to swing a cs352 all day long. DON'T BE FOOLED. The cs 310 IS NOT comparable to the cs352. That crap about the only difference is the smaller motor is a lie just like those lies Biden tells on Trump. I wasted good money on a cs310 and sold it when the AV ( not robust like the cs352) felt flimsy. If you have a little extra cash move up to a cs600 or 620p. By the time you buy the stuff to add a Rim drive and better bar you'll be better off just buying the 600 or 620p like my brother did. I wished a thousand times I'd spent 100 bucks more and got a 620p but I'm not sure about the difference in prices now. Also BUY when Echo has their once a year sale. I got 20% off. If you aren't logging daily the Echo should please you. NEVER run Ethanol and unless you will use the saw in a month drain the fuel before storing. I run mine dry too. Good luck

Back