• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy New saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

450foreman04

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello! I’ve been creeping a while but decided to finally post. I’m looking to buy a new saw. I’m not a pro so no need for those line of saws. Will use it for clearing trails around the hunting land and to cut firewood for maple syrup making. I’d like to get a 45-50 cc saw with an 18” bar. Like to stick to one of the common brands- Jonsered/Redmax, Husqvarna, or Stihl. My in-laws all use Jonsered but I’m flexible. Where do I find the best deal (websites, etc.)? Any specific model a standout in this size range? Any advice will be appreciated!

50cc class 346,550. 60cc class 262, 357,562. 70cc class 365,372,572 80-90cc class 385,390,394,392 big boy class 3120. I like Husqvarna, but any in those classes with sharp chains should work.

I’d like to get something brand new. Price- cheaper is better :) But realistically I’d like $300-$400 range.

Sawfun- I’m not opposed to that, but which saw? Brand? Big box guys probably don’t have any better idea than me. Dealer- I want some “unbiased” opinions... or at least someone not being swayed by money. I figure people on here could help steer me in the right direction. Again, a consumer/homeowner saw is fine.

I would suggest going and handling a Husqvarna, Makita, Echo and Stihl and see what feels the best to you. Any of these will do you well. Once you decide what you want, then look for the best deal. You can find good deals online except for Stihl. They frown upon their saws being sold online.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Is an Echo a brand to consider? Or the Efco?

I keep reading that each brand has its class leader somewhere throughout its lineup. What is the class leader for the 45-50 cc saw? Lol

I have 6 Echo saws, 2 of them are 590. Don’t even think about getting rid of them. Great solid value for the money.

ms 250 Stihl $349.95 they have them on sale from time to time for $299.00 Very good saw for the money 3 HP comes with an 16 in bar 45 CC this is a proven saw that has been around for years comes with a year warranty If you buy a 6 pack of oil it will have a 2 year warranty

I have 6 Echo saws, 2 of them are 590. Don’t even think about getting rid of them. Great solid value for the money.

59cc might be a little much for what I need. Is the 490 any good? It’s considerably lighter according to the specs online.

ms 250 Stihl $349.95 they have them on sale from time to time for $299.00 Very good saw for the money 3 HP comes with an 16 in bar 45 CC this is a proven saw that has been around for years comes with a year warranty If you buy a 6 pack of oil it will have a 2 year warranty

I bought a used stihl 029 av that I was using. Had nothing but trouble with it. That’s why I’m looking to buy something else. The saw shop here sells Husky/Jonsered and the owner is not a fan of stihl. He does good work and is friends with my father in law so he treats me right. But, stihl 250 have been around forever.... comes back to wanting some unbiased insight.

Yes ,490 is a good saw, but again I urge you to go see what feels better in your hands.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks. I’ve held the Jonsered, Stihl, and Husky when looking and haven’t found anything that I loved or didn’t like about any of them. I had a stihl but use my in laws Jonsered a lot too. So I’m not sure if that is making them all feel ok. In looking at your screen name- when I was looking for a pistol it was between glock and SW M&P. The glock felt boxy and the SW felt like a much better fit. That’s what I went with. I get what you’re saying about the feel, but I just haven’t found anything either way for a saw.

I’ll have to check out the Echo. I had overlooked them because my brother in law said they’re “junk” but then again he drives a Subaru. (To be fair he drives a lot for work so he uses his Subaru and keeps his F250 at home. )

Latest posts

Back