New Scrounge Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wowzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, took the 044 in Dec to get some parts and buddy offered me a trade in price I couldn't refuse. I got the 461 with a 25" bar and then got the light weight 20" as extra.

Well this thing is a light sabre with a 20" bar and soft wood, half scared of it haha I now understand why people are all about the saw pants or even the boots. And I think it is time to stop and build the bucking table.

Moved to a new place half way through winter so don't have a wood stove anymore was hoping to put one in the house this year but just not in the cards.

With this new light sabre I should be able to speed up cut times considerably. And I picked up from Princes Auto a little hookaroon best 15$ I've spent saves bending over.

If anyone is on the fence about a new Stihl 461 get off it. Buy it she's night and day power. I wish I would have not bought a couple used home model ones and just got this one sooner.

Happy scrounging everyone. 20180816_202016.jpg 20180816_202024.jpg

Well, took the 044 in Dec to get some parts and buddy offered me a trade in price I couldn't refuse. I got the 461 with a 25" bar and then got the light weight 20" as extra.

Well this thing is a light sabre with a 20" bar and soft wood, half scared of it haha I now understand why people are all about the saw pants or even the boots. And I think it is time to stop and build the bucking table.

Moved to a new place half way through winter so don't have a wood stove anymore was hoping to put one in the house this year but just not in the cards.

With this new light sabre I should be able to speed up cut times considerably. And I picked up from Princes Auto a little hookaroon best 15$ I've spent saves bending over.

If anyone is on the fence about a new Stihl 461 get off it. Buy it she's night and day power. I wish I would have not bought a couple used home model ones and just got this one sooner.

Happy scrounging everyone. View attachment 669311 View attachment 669313

I'd buy the hookaroon in a heartbeat for $15! Fiskars $55 is a little pricey to try it.

I bought a 461 four years ago I thought it was going to be my bucking saw. When we cut wood I can't get it out of my buddy's hands it's his saw when he comes to the farm to help with firewood making. You will love the saw. It's the best weight to power ratio saw I have ran in 40 years.

Wowser, what did you end up paying for the 441 and who did you get it from? My 440 has been a finicky starter for the last time. I bought a 261 off Schmidt in Bluevale a month ago and love it. I'm thinking of getting rid of a bunch of saws that I just have sitting around.
I got it from KPC on the 12th by Westshore there the stone place. I was around 1200 with a 25" bar on it and then he gave me 600 for a trade in. - Check out Kijiji there is the rental place in Kitchener that looks to have good prices. i tried to trade in a couple of things and he wasn't where I liked but he is good to talk with he will haggle a bit but not much.

I'd buy the hookaroon in a heartbeat for $15! Fiskars $55 is a little pricey to try it.
I got it from the clearance bin at Princess Auto, it seems whenever i go to 1 of 2 locations they always have some sort of wood tools in the clearance bin.

I have the fiskars version of your hookaroon and it is one of the best tools I have. They really save the back. Congrats on the new light saber!
Yes i should have bought one last year it's going to be nice for cutting up tops that's for sure

I bought a 461 four years ago I thought it was going to be my bucking saw. When we cut wood I can't get it out of my buddy's hands it's his saw when he comes to the farm to help with firewood making. You will love the saw. It's the best weight to power ratio saw I have ran in 40 years.
haha I know completely why he won't let you use it. I can't wait to try out the 25" bar on some Ash Rounds this week and see what it's all about in the hard wood

I got the fiskars off Amazon for $40, don't know why I waited so long!
thats a pretty good price, i am price tracking it now on Amazon going to try it out if it ever comes up on Sale

Sounds good Wowzer, I've been meaning to buy something off him for awhile. I got way too many saws to keep running all the time and really I only use a couple. I'll have to clean up a couple and take a drive.

Your probably best to sell them on Kijji, and take him cash I have found that to be the best haggle method with him, I think it's too because he has alot of older people trading in there stuff, and he is getting stuck with some of it now.

I would love to run my 461 with a 20 inch bar and a yellow chain. One day, my stock green chain will need to be replaced but I can't see spending the money before I have to.
Throw the green one away and never look back. My first Stihl was a little MS290. I thought it was a piece of junk till I was ready for a new chain. I asked if they had anything more aggressive? He said sure, get the ones in the yellow box.It turn that little piece of junk into a pretty nice little saw. Guess I've had it close to 15 years now.

Yeah, I think I'll just sell a bunch and go with cash. Buddy just sent me a text this morning, he was cutting wood at his brothers property, he set his newish Echo on the tailgate then checked his phone inside the truck. Spent some time on the phone and then headed back home. Got home and went to unload the gear, didn't have to unload the saw. Drove back the 20 miles but of course nowhere to be found. I'll likely sell him a saw so he can still have a back up. I think he drove over his last one.

That thing is pricey! I'm still a beginner, haven't done any milling at all yet, always too much to do, but I'll get there. I've been eyeing this one up for starters:

https://www.shforestrysupplies.com/...=4&SKUTYPE=202&SKUFLD=SKU&DM=1250&WEBID=31643

Youc an also consider this one too:
https://www.huztl.net/Portable-Chainsaw-Mills-c3057.html

Yeah, I think I'll just sell a bunch and go with cash. Buddy just sent me a text this morning, he was cutting wood at his brothers property, he set his newish Echo on the tailgate then checked his phone inside the truck. Spent some time on the phone and then headed back home. Got home and went to unload the gear, didn't have to unload the saw. Drove back the 20 miles but of course nowhere to be found. I'll likely sell him a saw so he can still have a back up. I think he drove over his last one.

That is a kick below the belt for sure. I always leave stuff on the fender of my dump trailer so I can see it in the Mirror before I take off. but there is a pretty good market for used stuff around here, people seem to eat them up as long as they are decently priced, and cleaned up.

Wowser, he was thinking of getting another Echo so I told him to borrow my new 261 for a couple of days. Lasted 2 days and then went to Roberts and got a new 261 of his own. I really like the 261 and don't really need another saw but a 441 is going to be in my barn in the next few weeks. I'm tired of tripping over saws that I don't use.

Back