• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

New Series on Discovery Channel

Aerialist

Aerialist

ArboristSite Member
The Discovery Channel has started a new "reality" series called "Dangerous Job Interviews" one part of the series deals with three rookies trying out for a climber's job. They start these guys out on climbing giant Redwoods to take dead limbs out of it.

Interesting to note the show is using three of my video clips in the series. A Producer for the show contacted me about using a clip called "caught by my rope", the ended up using a portion of that clip and two others as well.

The show series is on Friday evenings at 9:00 Eastern time but they air it often during the week. It comes on right after "Gold Rush" check it out and try to guess what clips are mine.

TonyK

TonyK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Staff member
I watched part of that and was wondering if the tree service owner was a member here. I can't say that I watch very many of the Discovery Channel's reality shows since they don't seem to have a basis in reality.

Stihlbillie

Stihlbillie

Hillbilly Deluxe
[QUOTE="TonyK, post: 5752510, I can't say that I watch very many of the Discovery Channel's reality shows since they don't seem to have a basis in reality.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

-chimpboy

Aerialist

Aerialist

ArboristSite Member
"Reality" in these shows is quite fungible and scripted to be entertaining. I particularly liked the Bush Pilot segment, as a commercially rated pilot and aircraft owner, I found Ron's efforts laughable. Of course having a guy they call "Captain Crash" be your instructor would give pause for thought to any aspiring pilot.

The "engine failure" in the second show was so laughably staged I had to call fakery! as my tree crew and I watched it. Then Ron going off into the bush at night shooting his shotgun at anything that moved or made a sound was also pretty unreal. It is Africa after all, but I would have just slept in the airplane and kept very quiet.

I owned a real bush plane (a Cessna 185) in the '70s and know a bit about bush flying:

IMG_0063.jpg

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Addicted to ArboristSite
You didn't watch it very well, it clearly said he purposely killed the engine to simulate an engine failure.

Zale

Addicted to ArboristSite
The Discovery Channel has started a new "reality" series called "Dangerous Job Interviews" one part of the series deals with three rookies trying out for a climber's job. They start these guys out on climbing giant Redwoods to take dead limbs out of it.

Interesting to note the show is using three of my video clips in the series. A Producer for the show contacted me about using a clip called "caught by my rope", the ended up using a portion of that clip and two others as well.

The show series is on Friday evenings at 9:00 Eastern time but they air it often during the week. It comes on right after "Gold Rush" check it out and try to guess what clips are mine.

How is the calf after your injury?

Aerialist

Aerialist

ArboristSite Member
You didn't watch it very well, it clearly said he purposely killed the engine to simulate an engine failure.
Oh I watched it very closely, the smoke coming out of the cowl flaps is the part that was fakery. "killing" the engine is a standard part of student pilot training for simulating an engine out situation. It's usually done by pulling the throttle back to idle and having the student pick a spot to land the airplane. Actually killing the engine would have to be done by shutting off the fuel supply of the engine and would require a restart by turning the fuel selector back on and letting the windmilling prop start the engine again. Neither of these options would result in the black smoke depicted.

How is the calf after your injury?
That was years ago , I have a nasty scar but full use of that limb. There is a numbness there and I feel no pain in the leg affected . Chainsaw cuts are very dirty and infection is the biggest problem to overcome.

tla100

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
I can hardly watch it anymore. I know they are big trees, I have never climbed. But so much drama leading up to cutting a few dead branches.

Aerialist

Aerialist

ArboristSite Member
The show contains a lot of exaggeration and hyperbole the "650 lb" dead limb they roped down couldn't have actually weighed 100 lbs and there was no need I could see to rope it down. In the latest episode the aspiring climber didn't even wear gloves and then agonized over the resulting blisters.

I will say though that the dead tree that Zak sent one of the rookies up was dangerous and I would never have sent an unexperienced climber up there. At least they had him tied into another tree nearby.