New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TSC is out of them

In North-Carolina, none of the TSC's in my area (Winston-Salem, Greensboro)have any of these splitters in stock. The manager did a search and his store along with every store in his district was due two (2) per store. He didn't know when any would arrive either.

I'd have to drive into Virginia.... 1.5 hours one way to find a TCS that has one on their floor. Oh well.

It appears that TSC is spreading these machines around in small quantities.

I'd put a tach on the motor before worrying to much about the vibration. My SS vibrates like a bastard when the motors turning 4600rpm :dizzy: my throttle stop now has a piece of keystock welded in place so the tab can't bend over.

3600 should be max rpm for the SS and for most small gas motors.

My SS is silky smooth running wide open.

Quite a bit of rust for a new unit.

I'd have to do a cost analysis before calling a product overpriced.

I have had a Supersplit since the summer of 2003. Every year it has split 10-12 full ( 128 cu ft ) cords for my boiler, fine split enough wood for 2000 bundles a year and some years we sell a little bulk fireplace wood in the winter. In late August the pinion gear gave up and all the teeth sheard off when my son mis-read a croth piece and the pusher got stuck and could not pop up to release. This can happen on occasion in nasty knotty, crotch or bigger elm pieces, but we do not shy away from splitting anything. Paul at Supersplit sent me the new gear, which was a measly 100 bucks , we visited for a bit, and he also sent along a new clutch for the Subaru engine that I have, just for the heck of it. The repair took less than a half hour. I spent about 2400 bucks on my splitter in '03 and other than two 15 dollar belts and oil changes, this 100 dollar repair is the first one I have had. It is smooth at all speeds and does not wobble. The machine is not babied, and sits outside more than it should. We split nothing but hardwoods. I know that it is tempting to buy a cheap copy, but the best is always the cheapest in the long run. When will we stop the race to the bottom in this country and keep putting the Pauls at Supersplit out of business with our buying decissions....when we all live in grass huts?

Wow thats a really odd failure ive bound mine up plenty of times and smoked a belt but to shear the teeth off the gear thats just one of those wow moments. To the best of my knowledge the SS I have is 30 years old and has split thousands of cords it was used in a commercial operation before I got it, the only big part that has been replaced is the motor. Its been kept outside with a tarp of some sort its whole life. Its rusty, worn and ugly but that Honda still starts first pull and the machine still splits all day everytime its asked to.

Quite a bit of rust for a new unit.

I'd have to do a cost analysis before calling a product overpriced.

I also noticed the rust. This could be a problem not too far down the road...

If you two saw the rust on my SS after sitting outside for 30 years with just a tarp over it you would probally cry.

Went to another TSC

Went to another TSC(Sandusky,Ohio). I was surprised that they had 2 of them.A guy came out and started one up.Put it to full throttle and it didn't hardly shack at all as compared to first one I demoed.That kholer engine said "crafted in China",I would change engine after awhile,it say kholer but its low grade.

I understand about buying American but like BSD said"70% less" its tow able and it comes with table and no shipping.Its greaseable and iam surpsied by that!!Are the DR and SS?

Let us know how it goes BSD.

Pete

Thanks for the pics and for the initial review. If you get time and are so inclined, would you be able to break down in some detail the mods you did in please?
I removed both linkages that the green button is attached to, there is a bar that moves when you push the button so the push handle can engage. it's a bit hard to describe, but very easy to do with a couple wrenches

here's a quick video of some big cherry.
[video]http://www.facebook.com/v/266489156718112[/video]

well, I've run about a cord and half through it now. after removing the safety button it's quite a nice little production unit. I was splitting cherry and red oak and a little white oak. I timed myself working at a modest pace around 2/3 throttle. this little sucker really sips fuel too. I split and bagged half a cord in 45 minutes by myself. with a helper I suspect I could probably do a cord in about an hour

as for the rust... yea. that surface rust is really something to worry about on a 3" thick cast iron piece... :blob2:

Went to TSC this weekend. They got two in, sold the new one. Still have the demo model out. I took a few pieces of oak with me. They had the machine out in the parking lot. Didn't look like it shook too much at all. I was impressed, ate through that oak like nothing. Might be making a new purchase. :msp_wub:

I have had a Supersplit since the summer of 2003. Every year it has split 10-12 full ( 128 cu ft ) cords for my boiler, fine split enough wood for 2000 bundles a year and some years we sell a little bulk fireplace wood in the winter. In late August the pinion gear gave up and all the teeth sheard off when my son mis-read a croth piece and the pusher got stuck and could not pop up to release. This can happen on occasion in nasty knotty, crotch or bigger elm pieces, but we do not shy away from splitting anything. Paul at Supersplit sent me the new gear, which was a measly 100 bucks , we visited for a bit, and he also sent along a new clutch for the Subaru engine that I have, just for the heck of it. The repair took less than a half hour. I spent about 2400 bucks on my splitter in '03 and other than two 15 dollar belts and oil changes, this 100 dollar repair is the first one I have had. It is smooth at all speeds and does not wobble. The machine is not babied, and sits outside more than it should. We split nothing but hardwoods. I know that it is tempting to buy a cheap copy, but the best is always the cheapest in the long run. When will we stop the race to the bottom in this country and keep putting the Pauls at Supersplit out of business with our buying decissions....when we all live in grass huts?

I totally agree with you, and I try to buy American made every chance I get, but there is a point where one has to ask yourself is there $1000 more dollars worth of product in a SS. Monopoly is the word that comes to mind now that this wood splitter has arose. Personally by the time I got a SS to my house it would be very close to $2750 based off a $100 shipping charge. I really want a SS and will probably end up with one, but just wanted to put a thought out there and hope I wasn't the only one in this boat.

I totally agree with you, and I try to buy American made every chance I get, but there is a point where one has to ask yourself is there $1000 more dollars worth of product in a SS. Monopoly is the word that comes to mind now that this wood splitter has arose. Personally by the time I got a SS to my house it would be very close to $2750 based off a $100 shipping charge. I really want a SS and will probably end up with one, but just wanted to put a thought out there and hope I wasn't the only one in this boat.

The $1000 diff could very well be the diff between Made in USA and Made in China...

Actually, I'd expect the Made in China to be about 50% less...

The $1000 diff could very well be the diff between Made in USA and Made in China...

Actually, I'd expect the Made in China to be about 50% less...

I would agree.

I started heating with wood to save on the electric bill, so with this kind of purchase it will take a few years for it to pay for itself. Not as long if I count my time saved.

well, I've run about a cord and half through it now. after removing the safety button it's quite a nice little production unit. I was splitting cherry and red oak and a little white oak. I timed myself working at a modest pace around 2/3 throttle. this little sucker really sips fuel too. I split and bagged half a cord in 45 minutes by myself. with a helper I suspect I could probably do a cord in about an hour

as for the rust... yea. that surface rust is really something to worry about on a 3" thick cast iron piece... :blob2:

BSD- How is the working height on this machine? Being towable, it looks much lower than SS or DR. It looks as if you would be stooped over while working. Also, another video, longer would be awesome if possible!!:rock::blob2::rock:

sunfish, I so wish you could come to the gtg and bring your SS so it would put my mind at ease about buying one. I am pretty sure there is no one in east TN that has one. Have you ever been aggravated about having to pick the wood up and sit it on the splitter?

BSD- How is the working height on this machine? Being towable, it looks much lower than SS or DR. It looks as if you would be stooped over while working. Also, another video, longer would be awesome if possible!!:rock::blob2::rock:

When I ran it at the demo, height seemed ok, maybe come up a few inches. I am 6', but I didn't think it was bad. Definitely not the same as a hydraulic splitter.

working height is 28". I'm 6' and found it a good height for me, most tools and tables are actually a little low for me too. It was a good height for the big rounds, I didn't find myself straining to reach the work area.

The lever is actually too high and too far away from the working area, especially after removing the safety. I'm going to see if I can get the handle reversed. I found my right elbow was a bit sore yesterday after splitting and I think its because of the angle you push the lever down from the work area.

sunfish, I so wish you could come to the gtg and bring your SS so it would put my mind at ease about buying one. I am pretty sure there is no one in east TN that has one. Have you ever been aggravated about having to pick the wood up and sit it on the splitter?

I'll have my SS at the Arkansas gtg next month, but I wont make the TN one. Wish I could.

No aggravation picking up wood. Most that I cut is under 20" dia. Larger stuff gets noodled. :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back