ArboristSite.com Sponsors

New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by stumpy75, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Speedco junkie

Speedco junkie New Member

2. Speedco junkie

So I've come to this game very late I bought a used be go without doing any research. I love this machine whenever it's running properly it's very fast and efficient my problem is of broken teeth off of the rack and now I'm wondering if there's any way to buy replacement rack of contact at Speedco and they say that they no longer have replacement parts for the sign any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

3. rancher2

rancher2 ArboristSite Guru

Lots of options. Its going to depend on how you fab skills are and what you check books is like. There are new racks and pinions out there you could buy and fab up to replace what you have. Probably going to have to install a jack shaft also to slow it down. You could convert it over to a hyd cylinder type splitter I did that to one . When they were new and pulled off the market I bought two for scrap price and put a jack shaft on one because it had a rack the other one didn't so I converted it to use a cylinder. I hope you bought it cheap.

4. Sandhill Crane

Sandhill Crane AS Member

Fix it, then fix it again, then fix it again.
    Or...
    Throw the piece of crap away and buy the real deal.
    Run it for twenty years plus.
    That's my "fix" strategy to split wood, with something that works.

Jules083 likes this.
  5. CUCV

CUCV ArboristSite Guru

I've got a spare SS rack, pinion and flywheels I'd consider selling, just not sure if it would be worth the shipping. I wanted to build a diesel special edition and it cost me less to by a J model splitter and special edition rack, and flywheels than to buy a special edition splitter. I think slowing it down just comes down to buying a SS clutch.

6. Jules083

Jules083 ArboristSite Operative

When I had my Speeco I broke teeth off the rack with maybe 2-3 cords split. At that point I took it back for a full refund and bought a SuperSplit.

Since you bought it used, the refund isn’t likely an option.

At this point, if I had one with a broken rack and no chance of a refund, my only options I’d consider would be to scrap the mechanical portion and weld a cylinder on to convert it to hydraulic, or scrap it and buy a Supersplit.

The cylinder and hydro pump won’t be cheap, but if nothing else it should be cheaper than buying a whole new splitter. I assume the motor could be used to run a hydraulic pump, but I could be wrong.

What I wouldn’t, under any circumstance, do is try to put a new speeco rack on to continue using it as a kinetic. That’s guaranteed to fail, and likely soon, and you’ll be in the exact same position you are now except with less money.

7. Speedco junkie

600.00 is what I paid I tried it out and it worked great. It looked brand new. How much are we talking for a new rack. The great part I have friends with elders

8. Speedco junkie

Does anyone have info on what a jack shaft is? Does anyone have pictures or a link to a video?