New splitter guess the age.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm guessing 50s or newer. It's a cat 1 3 point pto drive factory built unit by Loegler & Ladd right here in Buffalo NY. Everything I can find on them is late 1800s and early 1900s. Its real American steel with what looks to be stick welds.
20200505_194627.jpg
20200505_194638.jpg

Didn't the 3ph come around the 1940's?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I was thinking some of those 8ns in the late 40s came with a 3 point. I'm pretty sure the farmalls didnt have one and the internationals of the late 40s did. This guy was in his 60s and said his dad used it to split wood. That's y I'm thinking 50s or newer.

I was thinking some of those 8ns in the late 40s came with a 3 point. I'm pretty sure the farmalls didnt have one and the internationals of the late 40s did. This guy was in his 60s and said his dad used it to split wood. That's y I'm thinking 50s or newer.

The 9n came standard with a 3 point hitch when it was released in 1939. I think it was on a David Brown tractor before that, but probably not very many were made. Looks like a nice unit, pretty similar to what I use today.

The 9n came standard with a 3 point hitch when it was released in 1939. I think it was on a David Brown tractor before that, but probably not very many were made. Looks like a nice unit, pretty similar to what I use today.
I paid 375 for it. Its solid built and simple. I think it would be easy to throw a set of wheels on it and a motor if I wanted. It could use new hoses but definatly more heavy duty than the harbor freight or the half beam dirty hands splitter my dad bought. I'm guessing my 23hp diesel will run it fine.

I paid 375 for it. Its solid built and simple. I think it would be easy to throw a set of wheels on it and a motor if I wanted. It could use new hoses but definatly more heavy duty than the harbor freight or the half beam dirty hands splitter my dad bought. I'm guessing my 23hp diesel will run it fine.

This one has a 21gpm pump. I run it on my NH with 23.some PTO HP. Runs great, but I did need to add weight on the front.

As long as you can pick it up, 23 hp is plenty. It's just a matter of how many gpm that pump pushes, and what you set the relief pressure at.

IMG_20190111_163722.jpg

This one has a 21gpm pump. I run it on my NH with 23.some PTO HP. Runs great, but I did need to add weight on the front.

As long as you can pick it up, 23 hp is plenty. It's just a matter of how many gpm that pump pushes, and what you set the relief pressure at.

View attachment 825388

Yea I'm not sure about the pump flow. But the guy said it would split 24 inch logs no problem. He had a 30hp john deere. I just took my loader off and put my mower deck on. This thing is 6 in a half feet long but me and the wife unloaded it and moved it by hand so it cant be much more than my 300lb weight block, I'm guessing lol. The massey is pretty fuel efficent and I need more reasons to use it.

Opinions on these hoses? I planned on replacing them but my dad said they might not be bad even though the rubber is cracked. They don't leak. But it hasn't been used for a few years.
20200506_191944.jpg
20200506_191951.jpg

I would replace all the hoses and the hyd oil and maybe even add a filter on the return and since it hasn't been ran in years I might even consider pulling the hyd cylinder and putting a seal kit in it also. But I am also the kind of person that likes to buy something like that and run it threw my shop and get it in shape and not have to work on it for the next five years. When I am doing firewood I usually have my two helpers for the day so I don't want any break downs and want to get the most wood done we can.

I dont think I can change the lower hose without draining the fluid. The seals do concern me a bit just because it has been sitting. I start my tractor up every week or so and run the hydraulics to keep the seals from drying out. The hoses seem like the weak point.

20200514_190914.jpg

Changed all the hoses and secured the pump to the tractor. And it splits wood. Part of this small pile was a real f'ed up twisted piece of ash about 20 inches in diamater and it wouldn't split it the one way but I flipped it around and it split it fine. It seems to split fine at idle and move a bit faster with some throttle but the power seems to be the same. I'll be splitting mostly ash for the next many years.

View attachment 827697

Changed all the hoses and secured the pump to the tractor. And it splits wood. Part of this small pile was a real f'ed up twisted piece of ash about 20 inches in diamater and it wouldn't split it the one way but I flipped it around and it split it fine. It seems to split fine at idle and move a bit faster with some throttle but the power seems to be the same. I'll be splitting mostly ash for the next many years.

Flow is determined by rpm. Spin your engine 2x faster and the ram will run 2x faster (assuming the plumbing doesn't become a restriction). Personally I have a 5"x36" cylinder and I like to split as fast as possible, so I run my machine at close to WOT. I go for a PTO speed of right around 600 rpm.

Splitting power is about pressure. Your valve should have a relief setting built in. You should set it so that at operating rpm it pulls down the motor noticeably if you encounter an unsplittable piece, but doesn't stall it.

Flow is determined by rpm. Spin your engine 2x faster and the ram will run 2x faster (assuming the plumbing doesn't become a restriction). Personally I have a 5"x36" cylinder and I like to split as fast as possible, so I run my machine at close to WOT. I go for a PTO speed of right around 600 rpm.

Splitting power is about pressure. Your valve should have a relief setting built in. You should set it so that at operating rpm it pulls down the motor noticeably if you encounter an unsplittable piece, but doesn't stall it.

Yea it started to pull down the rpm then the splitter made that squealing noise like it's at its limit. It didnt bog the tractor to much so idk if I should mess with it or do a good amount of splitting first and see how I feel about it. As for speed idk. The tractor is pretty fuel efficent when mowing at 2k rpm and I think the 540 pto is about 2500 rpm but I dont want to burn through fuel if I dont need to. That being said the x27 splits a lot of small ash real quick and in my mind it's not worth using the splitter. I'm excited to see how much I use it and how effective it is over hand splitting.

Latest posts

Back