New splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadincolo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at a new splitter, have some questions. Looking at the Speeco (TSC Huskee) 35 ton. It looks good, new design this year, cast foot plate, optional log catcher. The guy at the TSC store said that they have an electric start coming soon, is it worth waiting for? I read that the old design is pretty well liked, anybody out there have any experience with the new design?

For what it's worth, it looks like a HECK of a lot more splitter than the MTD that Home Depot, Lowes, etc sells. Very well built and designed, not pieced and bolted together. Talked to Speeco, they set the relief at 3600 PSI :jawdrop: so it is up in the 35 ton range (looked at the previous posts, 2500 psi isn't enough to get 35 ton, 3600 is, doesn't appear to be a marketing lie).

I have a 35 ton Speeco that I truly love, for the money they have good quality components and are built very robustly. It's split maybe 25 cords a wood in the last 3 years and has been very reliable and quite powerful, I would say it's the Cadillac of homeowner splitters.:clap:

I'm heading out on the web to see what the new model looks like.

Jeff

*sigh* That's the one I want. It's $1,599.96 in my neck of the woods.

Which is about $1,499.96 more than I can afford! :cry:

I believe the Huskee equipment is made by MTD for Tractor Supply. My brother has one and likes it. I won't go near MTD because they refused to honor my Troy-Bilt warranty.

As far as the electric start, I have the Briggs Intek engine on my 3 year old Brave 26 ton. Also have a smaller version of that engine on my lawn vac. Always starts on the first pull so I wouldn't think electric start is necessary.

I bought the MTD 21ton with the 5.5 Brigs about 3 months ago and have split about 8 cords so far and it handles everything, i have even slid logs in it with the trackhoe and it split it no problem.

johnha said:
I believe the Huskee equipment is made by MTD for Tractor Supply. My brother has one and likes it. I won't go near MTD because they refused to honor my Troy-Bilt warranty.

As far as the electric start, I have the Briggs Intek engine on my 3 year old Brave 26 ton. Also have a smaller version of that engine on my lawn vac. Always starts on the first pull so I wouldn't think electric start is necessary.

All TSC Splitters are built by Speeco. The manager at the store was adament about that, said they aren't interested in carrying the MTD. After comparing the 2, I can see why. Here's a link to Speeco's website with the Huskee manual.

http://speeco.com/pdfmanuals/logsplittersmanual-g.pdf

As far as electric start, in the summer no problem, helped a friend split some wood in the fall, on a 30 degree morning, pulling a 12.5 hp motor dragging a pump loaded with cold hydraulic fluid...not an easy pull. During warmer weather, I would agree, no need for electric start.

Has anybody else seen the new style splitters at TSC?

I researched around before buying my splitter. Lowes had the Troy-Bilt, which I liked, but I went to the Troy-Bilt web site instead.The splitters sold on the site are different, much beefier models than the ones produced for the box stores and have a different dealer network. The Shipping in the lower 48 was also free.
I got the 33 ton, but instead of the Briggs or the Honda GC it came with an 8Hp Honda GX commercial motor. The beam was larger, beefier and longer.
A few other pluses were that it had steel (diamond plate) fenders instead of plastic, trailer lights inside steel frames, and a jack for lifting the tongue for transport.
I paid about $400 more than at Lowes but got a better machine. When the freight company screwed up and I lost the day from work that I waited for them, Troy-Bilt refunded me $150.00, sent me 9 gallons of Hydaulic oil, a replacement dipstick/filler cap and two spin on oil filters.
The splitter hasn't even lugged on anything I've thrown at it including 6 cords of Red Oak, Maple and Beech up to 36".

Thanks for correcting me on who makes the Huskee log splitters. Its all very confusing, MTD seems to be cornering the market on consumer equipment.

They took over Troy-Bilt and refused to honor Troy-Bilt's warranties so I stay away from them.

Starting in Winter

I had the same problem a couple of mornings last year with trying to start the splitter motor when it was cold. After about the second morning I figured out that I could set the splitter where the truck exhaust was coming out the tailpipe and the exhaust would warm the motor making it easier to start. It might not work for you but the exhaust and the motor were the right height for me.

I bought the 27 ton splitter from Home depot. It has a shorter beam which marked it easier to move around by hand. From my knowledge of steel longer is not always better. They move the pressure point to the front of the hydraulic cylinder. This will flex the steel I beam less. It is welded construction not bolt. It has a Honda motor which is a good motor but the 5.5hp is a little small. They make it up with a larger cylinder. For the price it is a good splitter that is easy to move around. It says Yard machines on it but it is the same as the Troy Built.

It has been a good splitter however the second time I started it the pump locked up. It was repaired under warranty but I wanted the part shipped to me directly so I could do the repair myself. MTD would not have that. I had to wait 4 week for a service center to fix it.

I paid $900 the splitter was on sale from $1300 to $1000 and I saved another %10 by opening a Home Depot credit card.

1stmale said:
It says Yard machines on it but it is the same as the Troy Built.

MTD=Yard Machines=Troybilt. MTD owns them both, plus a few others that used to be good names.

I have a Huskee 34T (9HP Tecumseh) splitter that I am guessing is around 5-10 years old (bought used for $600). This season alone has split 8 cords oak and ash without any problems (knock on wood). I love the thing. Has been very reliable. I got Speedco to send me an owners manual by snail mail. I just wish that it had log holders on the side. I will retro fit it next spring for that.

I am glad that someone else is using the Huskee splitters as I thought that I was the only one here.

Mods

So you all know, your better off to buy a cheap splitter, and then mod it. Take like an 8 horse motor, change the hydraulic pump on it, prolly cost ya like $100 bucks, you can mod one of those to run easy 40 ton, slower but not too much slower, but way more power than one of the others for alot less money. We did it with shears, splitters, etc... We modded our shear last, now this was to shear metal, like rebar etc... It would only shear 4 #4's, that about 1/2" each. It will now do 10 #6's, those are 3/4". You can easily double your output on those buggers if you talk to someone who knows a little hydraulics. Look into it guys...

ciscoguy01 said:
So you all know, your better off to buy a cheap splitter, and then mod it. Take like an 8 horse motor, change the hydraulic pump on it, prolly cost ya like $100 bucks, you can mod one of those to run easy 40 ton, slower but not too much slower, but way more power than one of the others for alot less money. We did it with shears, splitters, etc... We modded our shear last, now this was to shear metal, like rebar etc... It would only shear 4 #4's, that about 1/2" each. It will now do 10 #6's, those are 3/4". You can easily double your output on those buggers if you talk to someone who knows a little hydraulics. Look into it guys...

Changing the pump won't change the tonnage rating unless you also change the pressure the system runs at. Don't know what the hydraulic set up is on your shear, but the get 40 tons out of a 4 inch cylinder (that's what the 22 ton models use) you would need 6300 PSI...that's not something that is feasible.

Latest posts

Back