New splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you are looking at a 27 ton MTD/troybuilt. I'd take 22 ton speeco hands down!

if you're up for spending an extra $600, go for 35ton. it could be considered a light commercial unit with 6in ram and 8x10 beam.

main draw back I've ran into is the cheap tires. It'll cost another $150+ to upgrade axles and tires to allow towing at highway speeds.

okietree, that's faster than mine :D
wonder if mine could be dialed in faster?

IBleedOrange said:
I'ld be interested to see what cycle times other people are getting. I just got the OK from the "boss" (so I need to act quickly) to purchase a splitter since I have a few side jobs lined up that will pay for most of it. I'm torn between the 27 and the 35 ton. I was pretty much set on the 27 and had even contemplated thoughts of saving money and getting the 22 since the reviews were good but 046 had to ruin it by upping the ante with the 35. What to do........:monkey:

Last edited:
I'm was looking at the 27 ton Huskee. I pretty much made up my mind to go with a Huskee and not the MTD/Troy Bilt. Since the 27 is so close in price to the 35 I guess it's between the 22 and 35 which makes it dependant on the amount I want to spend. I'm going to stop by TSC tomorrow and see if they will honor HD coupons. I know most Lowes will take them. If they will accept the 20% coupon then I'll be taking the 35 home.

I looked at the TSC splitters before I purchaced my Brave splitter. The only concern I had with the vertical engine spitters is the location of the hydraulic pump. The pump is mounted under the engine and is dangerously close to the ground with no protection. I pull my splitter around the woodlot with a Kubota tractor, I would be scared of knocking the pump off on a chunk of wood or some other obstruction. If I had purchased a TSC splitter I would have fabricated some sort of guard to protect the pump. Do you think I am paranoid with this concern? Good luck with your splitter, they are great tools

just looked at mine, yup pump is exposed and the first thing that would get wacked.

TSC splitters need a skid plate for pulling around ruff areas.

saxman said:
I looked at the TSC splitters before I purchaced my Brave splitter. The only concern I had with the vertical engine spitters is the location of the hydraulic pump. The pump is mounted under the engine and is dangerously close to the ground with no protection. I pull my splitter around the woodlot with a Kubota tractor, I would be scared of knocking the pump off on a chunk of wood or some other obstruction. If I had purchased a TSC splitter I would have fabricated some sort of guard to protect the pump. Do you think I am paranoid with this concern? Good luck with your splitter, they are great tools

When I starte shopping for my splitter I actually called the factory, where they make them for northern and huskee. The first thing the northern guy said as far as differences between the 35ton huskee and the 37ton northern was that the pump on the huskee was dangerously exposed at the bottom because of the verticle shaft engine. I think a plate would work fine...just make sure you weld extra supports because if you do get hung up on something the 600+lbs from the splitter will be riding on that plate. Awesome looking splitter though!

I have a 28 ton speeco with a 8 horse Briggs. I have split over 300 cords with it in the last 3 years. I have never had any problems with it. However, I just purchased a Timberwolf TW 5, for more production.

how did you do production splitting with speeco w/single wedge, instead of four way like TW 5?

woodhog said:
I have a 28 ton speeco with a 8 horse Briggs. I have split over 300 cords with it in the last 3 years. I have never had any problems with it. However, I just purchased a Timberwolf TW 5, for more production.

It wasn`t easy. I couldn`t afford a timberwolf a couple of years ago, so I had to make do with the speeco. I also got the 6 way wedge, and the outfeed table grate with the timberwolf.
After running the timberwolf, I don`t know if I could ever run the speeco again, the log lift is a real back saver. I know everyone says the timberwolf is costly, but after running it, I would say it is really worth it.

35 ton huskee (speeco) with single wedge sure is handy busting up larger logs (3ft+) without lifting in vertical mode. but sure is slow....

got to figure out a way to get four way splits. with 6in ram, it's got plenty of power. getting 15-16 second cycle times. since mine is a new splitter, no welding on wings without voiding warranty.

TW5 spec's states 10 sec. are you getting close to that? how much faster production do you get from TW-5 than your 28 ton speeco?

The difference in time is between the 2 way wedge on the speeco, and the 6 way wedge on the timberwolf. With 1 man cutting, and 1 man splitting, we can produce a full cord in less than a hour. For every 2 pieces on the speeco, 6 pieces on the timberwolf. I am not saying anything bad about the speeco. It has performed great with no probelms, I just needed more production.

takes me 3 hours or so, cut/split a cord with huskee 35 ton's stock wedge. sure would be sweet to cut time in half...

nothern tools sells a 4 way

There was a thread on here about a 4 way wedge for horitz./vert. splitters at northern tools.

Thought I'd thank you for the information you fed me about your splitter. After waiting two weeks for my northstar to find out Northern screwed up my order and I'd have to wait another two weeks I canned their order, drove to Delaware and picked up the Speeco 35tonner you have. I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed with it thus far. Although not super fast, probably because of the pump, nothing stops it. If you find a place to get a four way please pass it onto me. Also....for the price of the northern unit, I got a 35ton speeco and a Husky 455 with a 20 inch bar and still had change left over!

Gonna see how many logs I can bust open over my week off from work!

yup 35 ton huskee splitter is impressive!
slow... but will bust most anything. rated at 16gpm but is actually flowing 20.75 gpm to achieve 8.6 sec out and 7.5 sec back on mine. 6in ram holds a lot of fluid, almost 3 gal.

still bummed at the cheap ass wheels speeco uses for such a nice splitter.

Jackman said:

Thought I'd thank you for the information you fed me about your splitter. After waiting two weeks for my northstar to find out Northern screwed up my order and I'd have to wait another two weeks I canned their order, drove to Delaware and picked up the Speeco 35tonner you have. I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed with it thus far. Although not super fast, probably because of the pump, nothing stops it. If you find a place to get a four way please pass it onto me. Also....for the price of the northern unit, I got a 35ton speeco and a Husky 455 with a 20 inch bar and still had change left over!

Jackman said:

Here ya go, you too 046....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Log-Splitter-4-Way-Wedge-Firewood-Chainsaw-Wood-Stove_W0QQitemZ270070560857QQihZ017QQcategoryZ85915QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Yes, but price it locally first. Take your splitter to a fab shop and tell them what you want. They can take measurements and give you a price on fit-up and welding.

That guy on Ebay appears to have good pricing, but you may be able to find a shop, or know someone that can do the same thing for half the price.

got a machine shop at home, don't have a large welder. so probably will machine out two wing pieces and have a local welding shop finish.

been wanting a large tig and plasma cutter for sometime. too many toys already!! :D

TSC22 ton

I walked into our local TSC on the 23thrd and noticed a 22 ton spliter out back that had a weekend of splitting on it , paint not even worn off , I asked how much and the manager knocked off 250$ for a total of 725$ ,as a mechanic I couldn't build one for that SOLD. I wont be splitting much more than 20" maple .It'll be just great as the shoulders are about gone from swinging the old mall.

ASE, what a deal!

just spoke with the guy that does custom fourways. you will lose aprox. 2in in length using add on fourway.

since I split 24in logs normally, add on will not work. he was too busy to set up jigs to make a custom one for me. very nice person, very helpful telling me exactly how to add wings to mine.

Latest posts

Back