new spruce just planted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michele

Reaction score
While I was at work, my new spruce trees were planted by friends.
When I cmae home I noticed that two of the trees were planted it looks to be over 8" above the ground. The person at the nursery said to plant the root ball no more than 6". How wide should the holes be when planting? What will happen to the trees? Should they be transplanted again ? ( I believe so!) I know that they weighed at least 400 pounds apiece, the burlap and the wire baskets were left on as we were told to do, and I'm not too crazy about losing out on the investment I already have on these trees. Please help! Michele

I would say to redo the planting. Spruces and pines (all evergreens) take transplanting pretty hard. Since its nursury stock it wont be as bad as a transplant. I would measure the rootball across the top and add about a foot to make the hole large enough. I like to have the top of the root ball sticking out only about 2 inches above the ground. I put all that I dug up around the tree, but not right on top of the root ball. Make sure you take off all twine and you might want to read a post in the nursury section here thats titled new plantings. 8" is just too high out of the ground. I hope you dont do more damage to the trees taking them out.
Darin

Back