New stihl 201tc oil leak ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmunyon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is this a common issue with these saws leaking bar oil? Ran saw for less than 5 min for initial fire up . Noticed bar oil when I picked it up later on . Had whipped the bottom of the saw an where it sat 3 times an just picked up again an wet once again .

Attachments

• 7B04CDBF-BADE-4EF9-9F74-8069E1DC44CB.jpeg
    7B04CDBF-BADE-4EF9-9F74-8069E1DC44CB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Is this a common issue with these saws leaking bar oil? Ran saw for less than 5 min for initial fire up . Noticed bar oil when I picked it up later on . Had whipped the bottom of the saw an where it sat 3 times an just picked up again an wet once again .

Try opening the bar oil cap after you are through to release any built-up pressure. If that doesn't help, just console yourself with "All saws leak oil".

Thanks I’ll try it . If not I’ll live with it. Not that it’s gonna hurt the saw , just shouldn’t happen when dumping that kinda coin on a brand spanking new saw is all .

Yes all saws leak bar oil. How much depends on a few factors. But there’ll always be residual oil coming out of oiler and dripping of components. Only leaks I’ve seen were on very early production saws.
The vent could be leaking. Take the bar and chain off and let it sit on a paper towel.
Wipe off all oil first. I go through this all the time with homeowner saws.
They made to over oil and always leave a mess.
Maybe you have the oiler set for maximum output?

Thanks , I’ll check that out an do that as well . I haven’t checked the Oiler setting . I just put it down as I had to finish off other projects this wknd . Certainly tomorrow I will an keep you posted if I figure it out or not . Thanks again for the advice fellas .

So I’m thinking it’s just the residual oil from it being ran . Nothing on the paper towel today an no signs of gasket issues . Will keep an on the bolts to make sure they remain snug . Thanks again for the tips guys .

So I’m thinking it’s just the residual oil from it being ran . Nothing on the paper towel today an no signs of gasket issues . Will keep an on the bolts to make sure they remain snug . Thanks again for the tips guys .

Late to the thread, but I was going to mention that if you had run it for a few min, and not done any cutting, the bar oil that usually is taken away with the action of cutting can accumulate and drip down all around the bar /clutch area, when tuning a saw, running high rpm, and no cut, it will pool oil beneath the saw, and put lots more around the clutch cover area etc.

T

Back