new stihl models ms461 and ms440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
Reaction score
seems like lot of talk about the 2 new models ,what would be your pick and why ,im kinda thinking maybe a new 461 as allready have a 440

Balance. The 461 should be very interesting.
440/461 Should be a pretty tough pair I would think. My order is in for both.

I just wonder if they did something to correct the AV and the air filtration? If they did, both models are interesting! :confused2:

New 440 has HD2 air filtration (my jury is still out as to whether it makes a difference or not) and (I think) slightly improved flippy caps. Otherwise, it's basically the same saw as the old 044 of yore. Of course, I DID get the DP muffler cover to get around the crap EPA-mandated micro-blowhole. I have run 4 tanks through it now and it just keeps getting better. I have so far only cut small alders but I've dropped, limbed, bucked, and stacked a couple of cords so it's been through a pretty good cross-section of a saw's duties. No complaints so far.

461? I keep hearing about it but I have seen neither pics nor specs. So far, I'm thinking it may be a Unicorn.

There was a reference to a "new" filteration system on the new 440 that has been posted on ebay. If it is like the 261's filter, it would be a big improvement. I've got my order in for two new 440's. I guess I'll know what they have when they get in. If the 461 is anything like the change that occurred with the 361 and 362, I'll stick with the 440 and 460. I don't like the way the 362 feels compared to the 361, there wasn't enough power upgrade to compensate for the extra weight and bulk imho.
The 440 along with the 372 has to be two of the best handling/power to weight ratio saws ever made.

There's pictures of the 461 tree slingr got to try out in this thread. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/165794.htm If stihl did something with the av I would run more of them. The av of the 460 and 660 does bother my hands. I run 6" and 9" electric grinders at work and I they give me the same buzzing feeling the stihls do. If the 461 has spring av I might give it a try if it doesn't gain a lot of weight.

anyone know what a 440 weighs?

I've been trying to find out, but no luck. If it's as light as the 044, I think I want one.

Not sure where I found these specs, but:

044M 13.3 lbs. , 5.4 hp
046 14.6 lbs. , 5.6 hp
441 14.6 lbs. , 5.5 hp

I think I collected this from various sources and captured them in a spreadsheet I was working on.

I'd gladly take a 440 if it has similar weight to the 044M. That would have to be a great all around saw.

Back