New Stihl MS271.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NvrDwn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm new and this is the first saw I can call my own. I've cut wood for the past few years to heat my home in Virginia through winter. I have been borrowing a Husqvarna 55 with a 20 inch bar. It was the first saw I had ever used and little to my knowledge it never had a low kickback chain on it.

Well today I decided to pull the trigger on the MS271 with a 18 inch bar. I also got the carrying case, doubled my warranty, and the 2 in 1 sharpening system. Since I switched from a 20 to a 18 I got to pick the new chain. I choose the 26RS chain and so far I'm loving it. Bar none the best cutting chain I have ever used. I will probably get the stock chain for limming and those awkward cuts.

Maybe this should be moved to the chainsaw section.

Thanks

In 2011 I got my MS-270. Except for the sidewinder replacement for a traditional two nut side plate, I love the thing. Even better was the time I spent learning "How To". At this point I only run Anti-kickback chains, for added safety. Since my GOL instructors were advocating the same, I'll stick with them. I love my Labonville 6 ply, full wrap chaps, forestry helmet with ear muffs, and my Wolverine logging boots. Took me 2 years to get it all, but you'll never see me with a saw in my hands without it.

As a homeowner with a saw, Tim Ard's felling video got me on the right path of how to fell a tree. We are talking about home owners not loggers or paid professionals. Were talking about keeping home owners, aka weekend warriors safe. This by the way is the same way that GOL teaches.

There's a wonderful book called "To Fell a Tree" by Jeff Jepsum.

Here's to a lifetime of skilled felling and bucking. And a warm home heated with your own firewood.

Scott

Latest posts

Back