new Stihl "Optimized" cylinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks-

In talking with a Stihl engineer recently, I learned that Stihl had switched to a new "Optimized" cylinder and piston set for all of the bigger saw models. This new cylinder and piston set is manufactured by Stihl itself, rather than the aftermarket "Mahle" brand.

Have any of you saw builders modified this new optimized cylinder and if so are the results good?

The same engineer also told me that even though the newer Stihls have a smaller exhaust outlet, they flow more exhaust than the older saws dues to a different exhaust port shape and angle. The roof of the exhaust port is higher, which correlates with the same change that many hot saw builders seem to do?

Originally posted by Jacob J.
the aftermarket "Mahle" brand.

Interesting - the Mahle cylinders are considered high quality. They are not aftermarket though, they make alot of cylinders for husky too. I wonder if they got too expensive for stihl:confused:

Yes, while it's true that Stihl is going to be using a new cylinder, they will not be producing it in-house. They have entered into an agreement with Electrolux to manufacture them. Next year, they'll outsource to Electrolux for crankcases and in 2004, crankshaft assemblies. It's a "value added" thing.

Yes, while it's true that Stihl is going to be using a new cylinder, they will not be producing it in-house. They have entered into an agreement with Electrolux to manufacture them. Next year, they'll outsource to Electrolux for crankcases and in 2004, crankshaft assemblies. It's a "value added" thing.
Doug, You taking over Otto's job as the resident funny guy?Lol.
BTW mahl makes very high quality stuff. OEM for Porsche.

Mahle

Just to add that Mahle (pronounced "Moly") makes OEM parts for lots of folks. They are VERY high quality, generally very expensive. Make many diesel applications, etc. I have a Mahle catalog and they make piston, rings, sleeves, etc. for engine manufacturers that I've never even heard off. Their automotive catalog alone is several thousand pages thick.

pistons

The plant is starting to make it's own pistons, but only 017 and 018 at the moment. More mdels will be up for next year. All the cylinders said Mahle on them. It is a supply thing, with some labor issues it Germany causing a shortage. I think you will see more of it in the future. The guys at the Beach are asking to make more of their own parts all the time. They feel they can show up the Germans. After what I saw and heard, I think they will do it.
No mag casting at the plant though.

is it - I havent seen husqvarna drop mahle as their manufacturer of cylinders....LOL - maybe we can see 017 and 018 at the box stores for christmas LMFAO....:blob2:

Stihl already use licensed Husqvarna "Autotune' tech for "M-Tronic" and Zenoah porting (now part of Husqvarna Group) so maybe Stihl will be completely absorbed :D
MAHLE have fabs in many countries, Poland, Mexico, China...but I imagine Stihl would use German-made stuff on their high-end products.

Isn't JJ still here?

Sometimes... :cool:

Wow, this was a long time ago. I was working part-time at the dealership and made this post after one of the regional technical service reps had stopped
and showed us examples of the "new" style cylinders. I don't think they lived up to the hype.

Wow, this thread is so old it can vote now. How far back do the archives go around here?

I think probably back to spring of 2001. Mike and Ben (rupedoggy and bwalker) both joined in June, I joined in Aug.

Prior to that, the main bulletin board was at Arborist.com, run by Doug Mellor.

Latest posts

Back