New stove is done!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After months of research we settled on our stove of choice and location in the house.

2000 square-foot house. Raised ranch style built in 1970. Stove is at an exterior wall and close to but not quite the center of the house (speaking from end to end of the ranch)

I’m not sure if I’m comfortable with mentioning the name of the company but there was issues with them and their installation. Insurance company highly suggested/recommended professional installation... could’ve done it myself but now our insurance rates did not go up at all from the new stove. If it’s common to mention the name of a company that does a poor job then I will if others suggest it.

I made hearth pad and we did the wall tile and wood trim.... save a TON of money on that part of the project. Did the hearth pad for the cost of the tile and glue. Made a steel pan at work for the tile to sit in. That was free.

Stove is a Pacific Energy Summit. No ash system. No outside air. Completely straight stove pipe about 15 foot tall. Double wall non-insulated in the house and then from the box all the way to the rain cap double wall insulated stainless. Also installed a stove pipe damper which I thought was strange. They said some of their customers have been over firing there Steel stoves so they’ve started to put these in now. Guess I understand.

First issues and then the picture of the stove. The first issue they were an hour late for installation. It’s a big pet peeve of mine first impression it’s no different than me going to work in the morning I’m always a half hour early these guys were an hour late. That day installation went perfectly smooth at least it seemed that way.
During the installation they had a printed off sheet that was given to them by their boss for the clearances. I did not see this sheet until after everything was installed as I assumed they were going off of the manual as their boss told me they would be. Right before they left I Saw the sheet and immediately noticed their dimensions did not look the same as what was on the flyer for the stove. I went to get the flyer and then paired the two and instantly told the guy they are not the same. He told me sometimes the Flyers are wrong and this turn off matched what was in the manual but at that time they actually did not have the manual for me to check.Right at the end we open the box that had the door and it it was a black door and I paid for a nickel door. They took the black door back to their shop and return with the nickel door. The family was outside while he went in to install the nickel door and he left. When I got inside the manual was in the stove so he obviously threw it in there while installing the nickel door .

That night at dinner I checked the Clearances in the manual and they matched my flyer. Instantly my blood started to boil. I called the installer told them that it was wrong and he actually argued with me on the phone. He then told me he would look at his notes and get back to me. After calling him every day for four days in a row he finally returned my call saying he installed it wrong. The stove wasn’t inch and a half to close to the back wall they used the wrong clearances for a smaller stove.

Got the install rescheduled happened to rain all day that day and they were mad at us for canceling the installation because of the rain. I was not going to let them mess with my roof when it was raining all day long and everything was soaking wet. We got 1” of rain that day.

Rest of the story is even longer (and more idiotic) to explain but basically when they came back (late again) to move the stove 1.5” forward they almost moved it 1 inch instead and it would’ve still been wrong. luckily I was there ( used a vacation day AGAIN to be here when it was being installed ) corrected them referencing the manual.
In the end the installation still turned out good. Roof and all. I was the most worried about the roof because we just spent $12,000 on the best roof you could buy with an unheard-of warranty.....and then they cut a hole and inch and a half in the wrong direction. WTF

Somehow this company has an excellent reputation I just might have been completely unlucky all the way around.

Rant over.

Here is the stove

Attachments

• 6BB34D0A-A968-4D64-A3CF-F12DC210FE3E.jpeg
    6BB34D0A-A968-4D64-A3CF-F12DC210FE3E.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 32
Back