new to chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptMoonlight

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, I grew up on 40 acres of land and helped my dad run a chainsaw when I was much, much younger (12-14 years old, I am now 37). We did some basic stuff, but mostly cutting smaller trees and firewood. I cannot even tell you what kind of saw we had, it was that long ago. I haven't had any need for a chainsaw since then.

Fast forward to the present, and I am now in 15 heavily wooded acres of mostly oak and hickory trees. I will need to do some clearing (approx. 2-3 acres) and will be cutting firewood for myself and possibly some neighbors as I've had permission to cut as much wood as I'd like from fallen trees in a nearby orchard. I have no idea how much I'll be cutting.

I've done research over the past couple of years, and have scoured this forum. I doubt I will be cutting anything more than 20-24 inches (the largest being downed trees in the orchard), and most of what I will be cutting will be in the 10-20 inch range on my property.

I really want to be smart about this and not get a saw that is too big for a new user. I am healthy and fit, but I know chainsaws aren't your normal everyday, "I'm a guy, I can handle it" type of tool. I used my neighbor's MS 170 for about two hours the other day, and I know I need more saw than that. I've been looking at used Husky 51's and 55's, a 261, as well as some Stihl 025's and 026's. I want to be as safe as possible, because I'm the sole bread winner and injury while cutting would be extremely damaging to my family.

Thanks for your time.

You have brought up a few good options and none mentioned should be too much saw for you.
As you get more comfortable you'll start wanting more power, so keep that in mind when considering pro vs homeowner.

You have brought up a few good options and none mentioned should be too much saw for you.
As you get more comfortable you'll start wanting more power, so keep that in mind when considering pro vs homeowner.

Will do. I've been advised by a friend of mine who does a lot of cutting to stay away from the pro saw for now also. There is so much gathered experience at this forum, I really wanted to know if I was heading in the correct direction. Thank you very much for your response.

The ms250 homeowner saw has just as much snap and power to weight ratio as the pro 026. Only the 026 is more suited for cutting the type of wood you have with a longer bar capability.

First of all, we need to know how much you want to spend on the saw (then we can get you to spend just $100 more to get this saw, but if what you really need is this one for $200 more, or better yet get 2 saws that's what you really need) lol just kidding.

For your largest trees a 60cc saw will be ideal. The saws you mentioned are in the 50cc class and an excellent start. I would lean toward the 261 but I am biased toward Stihl.

First of all, we need to know how much you want to spend on the saw (then we can get you to spend just $100 more to get this saw, but if what you really need is this one for $200 more, or better yet get 2 saws that's what you really need) lol just kidding.

Haha! This is almost like my obsession with pellet rifles! I'd like to spend 200-250 for a used saw to start out on. I've seen a few around my area (Tulsa, OK area) that are incredibly inexpensive and some that are (compared to what I've found on here) incredibly overpriced, but that's par for the course with everything.

I'm kind of a purist. So, I don't mind one that needs a bit of work also. I enjoy improving things.

I tell ya if you have the 15 acres a ms362 would be money well spent.... However if you want to spend less money the ms250 is a great saw.... I have both of these saws... My ms362 has a 20" bar and handles it damn good...my ms250 has a 18" bar on it... The ms250 was my only saw for years, and she is still a great saw... I have had the bar in my ms250 buried in hard wood many times, and with a sharp chain and a light hand she will make you proud!!!!

Go buy a new ECHO 490 with 2 spare chains, proper file, chaps, and learn how to file.

Wear all your PPE and pay attention.

Well, Georgia said someone would get me to spend $100 more. That was fairly to the point. Why the new Echo over any of the used saws?

Well, Georgia said someone would get me to spend $100 more. That was fairly to the point. Why the new Echo over any of the used saws?

Buying a used saw is a pig & a poke in my experience when buying on Craigslist.

Either buy a new saw, or plan to spend money on the Craigslist saw.

Sure, there are people who are in the business of repairing used saws and selling them on Craigslist, even 2 reputable members on this site near me.

Not being around you, I don't know who sells decent used saws in your area: do you?

Buying a used saw is a pig & a poke in my experience when buying on Craigslist.

Either buy a new saw, or plan to spend money on the Craigslist saw.

Sure, there are people who are in the business of repairing used saws and selling them on Craigslist, even 2 reputable members on this site near me.

Not being around you, I don't know who sells decent used saws in your area: do you?

Well...no..

I want to be as safe as possible, because I'm the sole bread winner and injury while cutting would be extremely damaging to my family.

As others have said PPE is a must, presumably later model/new saws will be safer.

What's your budget? Would you prefer to buy from a local dealer/service centre, or would you be happy with an online purchase?

I only have experience with a Husqvarna 440e 16" bar (home owner saw) and a Makita ea6100 (pro saw) 20" bar.

When the Husky wears out it will be definitely be replaced with pro type saw of similar size/weight, to me they seem easier to adjust/clean/service.

Latest posts

Back