New to climbing need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Cunningham

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im new to climbing and im trying to get some tips from experienced climbers. I have a lot to learn and not to much time to learn. Im tryin to fig out how you cut a tree down from the too to bottom. Id like to know what knots and such to use as ive watched many videos but nobody explains how they are doing it. I watched a video of a guy taking down a pine from the top he threw his line up and used some kinda slip knot wth a single rope running down amd was tied into that rope and moved his rope down as he cut i only know the blakes hitch style and that def wouldnt work the way he did the tree. So could you guys please help me out with some tips and links to videos that actually explain stuff and also whats a good climbing boot to use wth spurs that wont break the bank

I think you're talking about SRT (single rope technique) climbing. The two recommendations above are good. August Hunickie and Reg Coates have some great info in their videos too. Also, the material put out by Jerry Baranek looks pretty good. August interviewed Jerry in a two part YouTube video. I watched most of it. They cover what's in his books and DVDs in the interview.

Good luck and stay safe.

99% of the time if u r taking down a pine, u start from the bottom layer and keeps going up until the top is small enough to drop in one piece. I never cut down a pine top down yet.

Yea thats what i meant u take off branches goin up til its small then start topping it down in sections but what kinda knots and stuff would i use to have my rope up there with a slip knot to loosen move down tighten up

Im new to climbing and im trying to get some tips from experienced climbers. I have a lot to learn and not to much time to learn. Im tryin to fig out how you cut a tree down from the too to bottom. Id like to know what knots and such to use as ive watched many videos but nobody explains how they are doing it. I watched a video of a guy taking down a pine from the top he threw his line up and used some kinda slip knot wth a single rope running down amd was tied into that rope and moved his rope down as he cut i only know the blakes hitch style and that def wouldnt work the way he did the tree. So could you guys please help me out with some tips and links to videos that actually explain stuff and also whats a good climbing boot to use wth spurs that wont break the bank

Just a dumb logger, but I've climbed enough to have a little clue...

Get some one on one help, someone local that is trusted that can hold your hand on the first couple of trees, all the book and video learnin in the world isn't for squat if you get stuck and have to find a way down alone.

Learn some proper knots, learn them so you can tie em quick and efficient, Square, Bowline, Figure Eight, Clove hitch, Timber Hitch... these are just the basics 5 knots that could save your life.

Then worry about climbing hitches, prusiks, blakes, etc, no need to worry about going up if you have no way of not falling, and then dying.

Remember gravity always wins.

As for boots, any thick soled heeled boot will work for spurs, a good climbing boot will cost a couple hundred, and be worth every penny. A really good dedicated climbing boot will cost at least $400 and you won't think about how much you spent on them, cause you won't be thinking about your feet.

as for brands in no particular order

Wesco, Whites, Nicks (check em out... damn fine boots) Hoffman (also a good affordable boot) Viberg, Carolina usa (don't get the chinesium gawbage..)

Danner can eat smeg by the way...

As for boots, any thick soled heeled boot will work for spurs, a good climbing boot will cost a couple hundred, and be worth every penny. A really good dedicated climbing boot will cost at least $400 and you won't think about how much you spent on them, cause you won't be thinking about your feet.

I would absolutely agree if you are primarily spiking or working in more wooded areas.

I used to wear Red Wing loggers as a groundy and as a beginning climber. I found for the types of properties I was working at ArbPro boots were the most practical and are much easier on the bark of trees if you are pruning. They only cost a bit over $200 at treestuff, require no break in, have better tack on bark, and keep your feet pretty dry even in rain and snow. I've caused some substantial damage to thin barked species while pruning in my loggers which isn't great for the tree or PR with clients. Also, big logger heels really suck on pavement especially icey pavement and you will need to re-sole rapidly. Kind of like driving your mud tires on paved roads.

Just my take.

Hey Andrew,I started Treework back in 1978 in the Ca. redwoods and i am in my mid 60s and retired.What i would like to suggest is if you want to be a experienced tree climber,you would be smart to hire on with a tree service and start on the ground,dragging brush,cleaning saws,learning how to run ropes ,and most importantly,learn your knots.Almost every good tree man that i ever worked with started that way.A good tree man will only be as good as his guy on the ground,running ropes and such,so do that for a year or so before you start out climbing.If you want good climbing boots ,go with Whites or Wescos,but your going to pay upper 300-400.00.,but start from the ground up instead of the other way,i promise you it will make you a better,all around tree guy.

Climber rule #1: Hire a first class groundman, pay him well, treat him like gold, make sure he always has access to coffee, and he will guard your life and equipment like it was his own.

Rule #2: Never forget the coffee. Ever. Your life and equipment depend on it. :drinkingcoffee:
Rule #3 never leave his dynasorb on a job :surprised3:.

Climber rule #1: Hire a first class groundman, pay him well, treat him like gold, make sure he always has access to coffee, and he will guard your life and equipment like it was his own.

Rule #2: Never forget the coffee. Ever. Your life and equipment depend on it. :drinkingcoffee:
Unfortunately most of the cred in this biz is climber oriented (not dissing climbers at all except the d___heads) and it doesn't seem that a class A ground man doesn't get much respect imho. Companies I've seen b____slap their groundies around and only climbers get any respect. I'm glad to hear this isn't the case everywhere -- a bit of mutual respect goes a long way. Thanks to those of you who do treat your groundhumans well!

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

It's not the least bit difficult to use a climbing and cutting method that makes their job easier and safer when you're up there cutting easily lifted n hauled, readily chippable branches n logs possible.

No one loves speedlines more than the groundie who'd otherwise be walkin that branch/log on their back's!

All my groundies called me friend n compadre with good reason.

It's the only way to climb!

Jomoco

I gotta agree with Rick Hammer. Go get a job working with some real pro's for a few years and earn while you learn. You will drastically speed up your learning curve and you will be a much better tree-man in the end. Videos and arborist forums will never replace the experience of learning and working with a truly great climber. There are no shortcuts to becoming a good climber so go pay some dues and earn that shiiiiit!

Back