New to me 046 mag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top end kits come with new rings.

The seller said they are no longer there.... "Nos stihl 046 ms460 piston and cylinder.This is brand new genuine stihl(not chinese junk) Included is piston, cylinder and wrist pin"

Caber rings seem to work just fine. For a buck or two less, Bailey's generic cast iron rings seem to work just fine, too.

Sorry I missed your question about the # of dimples. I would have been pretty generous with the dimples, but hopefully the loctite will set up (if the gap is too big, it may not set up, because it won't set in the presence of air) and everything will be good.

It should be a nice saw when you are done. :clap:

Once the bearing was in the case I could not push the crank on at all like before. It got tight where it should I just put some in for the heck of it and the loctite as a backup....

Looks good!

In the future, you should use Green loctite sleeve retainer for that bearing application.

Loctite® 640 Sleeve Retainer-Green

High strength, anaerobic adhesive secures slip and press fit assemblies. Adds up to 3000 psi holding power. Restores fit to worn or out-of-tolerance assemblies. Prevents surface corrosion, Requires special tools for removal.
For cylinder sleeves, valve guides, valve seats, bearings and bushings, woodruff keys, liner assemblies.

Messing around trying to fix the crack in the tank..

DSC04213.jpg

I tried some of this stuff.... I use this on my holsters and from my tests with Kydex it is some tough stuff... So I thought I would give it a try..

DSC04294.jpg

DSC04291.jpg

DSC04295.jpg

I used a ratchet strap to pull it together and it seems to be working... I think I will glue a strip of Kydex on the side to help hold it together... If this works it may be a way to fix a hole in a tank...

Ok so I got the top end kit yesterday and yes it did have rings... Inside the cylinder is a mirror finish should I rough it up a little?? I thought I read it would help seat the rings...

Anyway after I stuff myself I am going to finish the patch for the tank and the rest of the reassembly can continue...

O and happy turkey day to all..............................

So on with the saga......

I did glue a bit if Kydex to the side of the tank just to be sure it will hold...This part of the tank is now stronger then any other part....

DSC04304.jpg

DSC04307.jpg

DSC04308.jpg

Perfect no cheap fix that will last yes...

DSC04320.jpg

DSC04321.jpg

Yes the clutch cover is worn and a new one would look better...

DSC04311.jpg

I ordered the name tags today.I'll get them on Fri...

DSC04314.jpg

DSC04316.jpg

I will also be getting a dp cover..

DSC04312.jpg

Waiting on the new air filter but I bet I get her going tomorrow with the one off my 064 :rock:

Last edited:
Although I am still waiting for the air filter to show up I got board and thought I would try to get her to start.....So seeing I was all dressed for work and they called it off due to rain I ran to town anyway and got some fresh high test with some Stihl mix... I was surprised how well it started.. About 6 pulls till it kicked then 2 more and she was running... This saw had set for years and I have done nothing to the carb and yet it seemed to still be set.. I will do more when I put on a bar and air filter....

So for under $250 I got a 046 mag.... It may not be the prettiest but all my saws are work saws and none of them look new....So I guess it will fit right in.:blob2:

Thanks folks!!!!!

I want to make a video like I did for the 064 this weekend.......

A little update...

I picked up the badges for it today.. I also had the guy at the shop retune the carb..All was going well until it started to backfire... They helped me tear it down to find a sheared off flywheel key... That being fixed it seems to be sucking a little air in from the manifold... So I now need to fix that....

So I got to do a little more on this..

Got the DP cover and new 20 inch bar and chain…

I painted the muffler and installed the tags as well….

Also as it sat on my new shelf it leaked out all the bar oil..I had to replace the tube that goes in the tank.I guess after all these years it just wore out…

DSC04515.jpg

DSC04511.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

DSC04507.jpg

DSC04512.jpg

Yes I do see a new clutch cover in the near future.....

Need to retune for the DP cover then I hope to sink it in some wood....

Looking good, man. I was considering refinishing some of my plastic and putting new name plates on mine to make it look less 'abused'. What do you suggest for cleaning plastics?

You cut with it yet? I suggest the PNW cover with dual dogs. Doesn't add but a few ounces, and it really clears the noodles well, and it will keep a 28" Windsor bar off the ground.

medium.jpg

Back