New to me 066 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ando81

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m Justin from Australia and I have a few questions about an 066 that I’ve recently purchased from EBay. It’s a pretty old one but has been rebuilt with a Mahle cylinder and piston. It seems to run great but the plastics let it down, the aluminium air cleaner base is the original Stihl orange but the top cover and air intake cover have gone darker orange and look odd. My question is would a newer 660 top cover and air intake cover fit on it without any issues. Don’t worry, I’m not making the old saw look newer to flip it for a profit. I intend to keep it for a long time as I really like the power that it has with the 24” 3/8 chain. I’d appreciate any knowledge that people can share about this saw.
ca6ec2ba8b3d76245502c0c789aa8f9c.jpg

Thanks for the tip, I’ll enquire with my local Stihl dealer to get a price for new covers if they are available.

I've had two 066's, one had the round top, the other, the narrower square top. Both were decomp saws. I did not interchange the covers, but figured I could have.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll enquire with my local Stihl dealer to get a price for new covers if they are available.

New covers ain't going to make it run better. Money is better spent elsewhere.

Replace some wear items instead. Did rebuild replace rubber parts? AV mounts good? Clutch bearing and drive sprocket? Air/fuel filters? New RS chain..........

I appreciate the feedback, the covers are definitely genuine but have discoloured from age or heat. The 066 plate has definitely been put on with pop rivets and the old plate had been taken off using an angle grinder to remove the original domed rivets. All done by previous owner, not me. I cannot see any aftermarket parts apart from the Mahle cylinder & piston and the clutch bearing. I’ll remove the clutch and inspect crank seals but it all seems quite good. The clutch drum and rim sprocket are like new and clutch springs look new too. Thanks again for the input [emoji4]

It’s quite possible. I’m unable to get a photo of the choke lever but it’s different to what I expected to see. It’s a longer arrow shaped black lever that operates the choke settings. I’m not sure if the 064 has this or not. I’ll try to find a google pic of what I’m talking about.

Latest posts

Back