New...... to me anyhows.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just arrived today, never owned one- have used one. Figured I could start entry level to see what all the fuss is about compared to my newer one!
Seems to be mostly there- apart from a couple of important bits. Some shonky bits and some busted bits, most of it cosmetic- but some of it important, like impulse lines and fuel lines.

Could be a fun project to finish off our Southern Hemisphere Winter with. MS 200T box.jpg MS 200T parts.jpg

Do Stihl saws have more parts n pieces over the Husqvarna saws?

I know looking under the top cover on the new saw the technology has changed. It’s like looking for the dip stick on my new cars.

More parts? Well there are a couple of pretty obvious missing ones there, but I doubt they have too many more parts per saw as such, just sometimes they can be a bit more engineered and complicated if they are not all orange. :)
Have to hold my hand up though- not a single Husky in the stable at the moment :eek:

I did notice my 372 husky has a throttle cable, more stuff to go wrong.

No huskys? New Zealand that’s partner saw country.? Best trout fishing in the world,

No huskys? New Zealand that’s partner saw country.? Best trout fishing in the world,

Not at the moment- last one had a wee argument with several tonnes of Pinus Radiata, so no more 272.
Plenty of dealers locally for both major saw brands- they just tend not to hold parts for older, or less common types. Jonsered are no longer imported into the country- apparently as a directive from Husqvarna NZ- but I only have agents word of mouth proof of that.

Do you have an IPL to inventory parts you have?

There is a member here that builds a lot of those 020/2XX top handle stihls.

I have schematics of the saw and parts detailed, so although I have a rough idea of the type, I have the drawings I can refer back to, so I can check what is missing and what needs to be ordered.
Have lurked here long enough to do a LOT of reading on the 200T and 201T.

Thus far we are looking at cylinder and piston, intake boot, intake support, possible new carb (Zama carb there but in pieces), new impulse and fuel lines, chain catcher- plus probably various screws.
Not sure if you can get them yet in the States- but I can get Meteor cylinder & piston kits from a local supplier, for around US$100-$120 ish.

Luckily, the fuel part carb/fuellines etc are it's weak spot and can still be obtained for a reasonable price.
Very very nice saw when it runs propperly.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Yeah, not sure how long the saw has been sitting as parts in a box, but all the rubbers that were still there were as stiff as boards- impulse line fractures if bent.
Might all depend just where in the world you live as to how easy the parts are to find- can guarantee my local dealers will have to order the parts in and that is if they are in the country to be ordered!
Happy enough to use vacuum line for the impulse line, but the fuel/vent line is pretty specific.

They are a nice saw, have run one before, but nowhere near as long as the hours I have on my own 201- which is pretty damn good.

I know looking under the top cover on the new saw the technology has changed. It’s like looking for the dip stick on my new cars.
Ha the other day couldn’t find the frickin dipstick for oil on my wife’s 2019 escape!!!

Jeez I totally know what you mean

Ifin Lone Wolf was willing to ship some bits and pieces clear over the Pacific Ocean, I would not say no. :clap: Heck if he wanted to jump on a plane and fit said parts, I might even find the man a bed and a box of beer.

But yes, mainly piston & cylinder missing- along with everything associated with the inlet side of the cylinder to the carburetor.
My head is telling me to split the cases- but everything feels real tight in the bottom end. Might get as far as fitting a cylinder kit, then do a leak down test on the seals before further assembly. The old slug & jug would be nice to have, help me to understand how the saw came to be what it is presently- but as of this stage, you guys know as much as I do- as the seller cannot remember when it came in to his shop, nor exactly why it came in, so I am assuming lean burn up from the usual suspects and it became an uneconomic repair to be filed as a parts saw to be scavenged if needed.
Whoever did own it and run it, was not the most fastidious saw owner/operator, saw had seldom been cleaned by the looks and the muffler was packed with carbon deposits from what looks to be the incorrect fuel mix that was way to heavy in oil- which in turn might explain why there was no spark guard fitted, it kept blocking up and the saw didn't run with it fitted!

Talking to the local dealer yesterday via telephone, I might be waiting a couple of weeks for parts to arrive, so still working on a complete list. Will go with aftermarket cylinder/piston kit- OEM here will price the repair through the roof, but all the rubber will be out of bags with Stihl printed on the outside.;)

Ifin Lone Wolf was willing to ship some bits and pieces clear over the Pacific Ocean, I would not say no. :clap: Heck if he wanted to jump on a plane and fit said parts, I might even find the man a bed and a box of beer.

But yes, mainly piston & cylinder missing- along with everything associated with the inlet side of the cylinder to the carburetor.
My head is telling me to split the cases- but everything feels real tight in the bottom end. Might get as far as fitting a cylinder kit, then do a leak down test on the seals before further assembly. The old slug & jug would be nice to have, help me to understand how the saw came to be what it is presently- but as of this stage, you guys know as much as I do- as the seller cannot remember when it came in to his shop, nor exactly why it came in, so I am assuming lean burn up from the usual suspects and it became an uneconomic repair to be filed as a parts saw to be scavenged if needed.
Whoever did own it and run it, was not the most fastidious saw owner/operator, saw had seldom been cleaned by the looks and the muffler was packed with carbon deposits from what looks to be the incorrect fuel mix that was way to heavy in oil- which in turn might explain why there was no spark guard fitted, it kept blocking up and the saw didn't run with it fitted!

Talking to the local dealer yesterday via telephone, I might be waiting a couple of weeks for parts to arrive, so still working on a complete list. Will go with aftermarket cylinder/piston kit- OEM here will price the repair through the roof, but all the rubber will be out of bags with Stihl printed on the outside.;)
My mistake, didn’t realize you were down under! You have the beginning of a nice project, keep us posted!

My mistake, didn’t realize you were down under! You have the beginning of a nice project, keep us posted!

No mistake- easy to do, I just assume everyone else on here is from the States- but there are plenty from further afield when you start looking.
Only been to some West Coast cities in the States, but have hosted plenty of Americans from all over the show that come here for the excellent trout fishing HuskyBill eluded to above- so the bed and beer offer is sincere.

Will keep everyone informed as I go- might just be in a wider timeframe than most other builds you are more used to where parts are available more easily.
I mean everyone needs to see another 200T build.......... don't they? :dumb2:

No mistake- easy to do, I just assume everyone else on here is from the States- but there are plenty from further afield when you start looking.
Only been to some West Coast cities in the States, but have hosted plenty of Americans from all over the show that come here for the excellent trout fishing HuskyBill eluded to above- so the bed and beer offer is sincere.

Will keep everyone informed as I go- might just be in a wider timeframe than most other builds you are more used to where parts are available more easily.
I mean everyone needs to see another 200T build.......... don't they? :dumb2:
The Brown trout fishing there is world renowned, if I ever inherit a fortune from a long, lost relative, NZ is on my list of places in the world I’d love to see! :cool:

Latest posts

Back