New to me Stihl 038AV Super, photos and a few questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solid though, however I'm not hard on it so plastic would do fine, I may do that, thanks.

That's the thing with Arb waste, you get whatever and just have to deal with it. I usually get 20" and down and stuff larger than about 14" is mostly already short enough for my stove, just needs splitting. So my ms180 copes except for the larger crotches/unsplitables, they get thrown in the ugly pile and that's where I felt a need for a bigger saw.

Looking at bars a stihl rollomatic 20" 0.063" is £40, Oregon about half that. I'll keep my eye out for a bargain on a stihl but will likely get tired and buy an Oregon for Christmas.

I ran another tank through the saw today and it's working well. I'm now in 2 minds about it and a refurb. Part of me says now it's working, leave well alone, playing will consume money needlessly and may break things! The other part says it's an old saw that although my gut says has had an easy life and is not worn, I reckon it possibly hasn't had much maintenance in its life either. I'm sort of leaning to working out what bits might be worth renewing/servicing and doing the jobs one at a time, keeping the saw together and running, just do one job at time. Haven't worked out the list of jobs yet but first stab would be, new fuel line, new oil line, new AV mounts, carb kit and service the carb, I think there's' some rubber intake boot thing on this saw, if so that's something to renew, err what else? Erm, impulse line? That would be the fuel side all renewed. Nor sure there is anything electrical worth doing beside the new plug it's had, err new coil? Then there is the damaged plug threads.... If I decide to do a more permanent fix I'd remove the cylinder, get a better thread insert inserted, refit cylinder deleting base gasket, think someone said something about new rings, caber I think. Might need some new clutch springs, although I seem to have stopped the chain creep now, bar has some life but gonna keep watching for a bargain rollomatic and after all that, or might get a lick of paint.

If anyone has any comments on that I'm all ears. What is sensible maintenance? What order to do it? And what parts are decent AM, which need OEM?

I would just pop things off and inspect them. Strip and clean all parts of the carb in petrol. I have a sneaky suspicion that the oil pick up is a split the case job. Or at the least a krypton factor replacement puzzle. I'd go oem on any rubber parts like av and fuel. Buy some cabers. Dacksilva or the Greek on eBay do them. If you struggle to find any I think 50mm 372's are the same. I could be wrong. Get rid of the metal tank. It will balance better. Oem clutch springs as AM may be no better. Just my thoughts. 038's are my holy grail [emoji23]

Latest posts

Back