New to milling, leveling rails

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportster64

Reaction score
Ok, I'm thinking about getting into milling, simply because I have done black cherry logs I cut for a neighbor, and didn't want to destroy for firewood, but I can't seem to understand how you level the rails .
I'm going to use 2x4 s , like I read in the milling 101 thread, I see how they are leveling across the ends of the logs, but what or where should I check for level running the length of the logs ?
The logs are slanted downhill, so do I just make sure to place a level on the wood rails ?

One detail, the diameter of the log is a few inches off, on the ends of the logs, some are 22 on one end, the other might be 18

A good habit to develop however & whatever
choice of rail system used to set up with...
Is to step back & eyeball by line of site, to double check
that they
are in parrell to one another.

You could measure up from the center of the log. That would help if you have a taper. We usually just eyeball everything. I hardly use rails anymore. Mostly just screw a hefty plank on the top for my first cut. I do shim it if it's got a taper.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I just use a section of extension ladder and some shims. Don't need to be level end to end, just coplanar. I use two equal 3/4x3" boards. Plac one at each end of your rails and eyeball from one end. You should easily be able to visualize if the rails are not coplanar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks All.
I think I'm over thinking this. It's simpler than I'm trying to make it
Happens all the time. Doing too much research will get your head spinning! Lots of great info and advice but start simple. A good saw, sharp chain and sturdy platform will get you going in no time!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back