New to sawmilling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kville

Reaction score
Is it feasible to down an East Texas Loblolly (Southern Yellow Pine), mill it immediately into 2x4s and use the lumber immediately for framing a shed? I am new at this and would appreciate your advice.

Not familiar with Texas pine, but my guess is no.

You could do all that just fine, but as the wood dries unevenly it will curl up. For example your studs will have sheathing screwed to one side, so the covered side of the stud will dry much slower than the exposed side, and the studs will end up looking like bananas.

I've never seen the results of a framed structure made of wet wood, but I have read several works by Dr. Seuss, and I imagine he had the right general idea as to how that would turn out. :laugh:

It does seem possible that, if the structure was in full, even sunlight, you could just frame it out and let the wind and sun dry it? But you are risking losing all that framing work if it doesn't dry evenly.

This is all theory for me, be real interested to see some pictures if you try it!

It’s possible to do it, but you won’t like what happens as the wood dries. I did it with partially dried wood for a fence where I thought it wouldn’t matter and it’s cracked even with pre-drilled holes for all the fasteners and warped so much it has to be redone. I did another section with wood dried to around 12-14% and that section is solid and straight. I would never do anything with green wood that needs to remain square and structurally stable.

Back