New to site. Stihl 026 pro mods for faster cutting??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there was a kit you could buy that had a different size bar, sprocket and chain. It was supposed to boost something by 20 or 30%, from what I remember. Some people like to port mufflers, but Im not convinced thats worth the extra noise.
Do you need the saw to be reliable, or is it just a fun project ?

An 026 makes more power with a muffler mod and timing advance. Porting the cylinder makes more, swapping to a bigger carb a little more (in that order). If done right, none of that will damage reliability.

Putting a shorter bar on the saw will load the saw less. That makes the saw feel more powerful. Putting a larger sprocket on the saw will make the chain move faster, but loads the saw more and usually loses work performance.

In general an 026 is a saw has limited modding potential. Although you can get a lot of power out of one, it’s inconvenient to do the more advanced work. Try a muffler mod and see if you like it. You can buy a new muffler cheap if you don’t like it

I've got a 026 i've had for a longgggggggggg time, it is all stock. Found out the ears on the hold down tabs on the muffler were broken, so, got a different muffler. The one i got, did NOT have a aggressive baffle in it. Might be just me, but, i swear its got more power, or maybe its just in my head, since it is louder. yes i wear ear plugs. But, for sure, 2 totally different designs inside the muffler. Either way, its still a great saw.

I think your spot on with that. My 024 is freshly rebuilt ....less mods aside from the minor cleanup done in jug. The original muffler was rusted out. Slapped a hollow chinese muffler on it for bout $5. Absolutely rips, IMO for a 42cc saw love it.

Cheapest thing you can do put an empty muffler on it. Save ur other muffler in case u need a legit one for certain lands.

Back