New to stihl I need to rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outdoorguy1979

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have a question about the Stihl MS 311? I've always been a husqvarna man myself, but I have a question. So I picked up a Stihl 311 for $10 missing a few parts in the engine is scored and I was trying to find an engine rebuild kit with no luck I can find the Piston kit though. Someone told me I could put a Ms 391 engine cylinder on the ms311 is this true or not?

You can put a 391 on a 311, they're the same basic saw the 391 just has a bigger jug. I'm not at the shop now, unfortunately I can't supply you with the part numbers. But any Stihl dealer could give you the info. Someone on here probably could too...

Now there is a guy that will rebuild the saw for 320 bucks and replace any and all broken or missing parts is that a good deal?

What does a new saw cost in your area? Add in shipping costs to your $320. and get a true total, sometimes its just not worth it unless you can do all the work yourself. The 391 set up here costs just about half of what a new saw costs plus add in the labor and it about equals a new one. There will be a bunch of derelicts piling up at that rate.

The dealers up here are pushing the MS170 like mad, it makes me mad when I go there to get parts. They suggest that POS to every person, including me, for a all around saw.I know Stihl Corporate is behind this as no dealer knowing the local conditions would knowingly push that saw off on just anyone. I just quietly tell them I don`t need a toy saw and I don`t cut up pencils with my saws.

The dealers up here are pushing the MS170 like mad, it makes me mad when I go there to get parts. They suggest that POS to every person, including me, for a all around saw.I know Stihl Corporate is behind this as no dealer knowing the local conditions would knowingly push that saw off on just anyone. I just quietly tell them I don`t need a toy saw and I don`t cut up pencils with my saws.
I hear that they have weak rods in those.........

next time they push the 170, ask em how much trade they'll allow on 044.
should quiet em up.

First time in that dealership they jumped me with the ,you should buy a MS170 deal. I let them know I have 45 PRO Stihls saws already, they didn`t know what a PRO saw was. I then recited off the Stihl numbers, 024,025, 034, 036, 044, 046, 066, 070, and 090. The sales guy didn`t have a clue, the mechanic didn`t even believe I had saws that big. Then told them about the number of MS series saws I have and they thought I must be a dealer or a forestry contractor. Neither dude had ever seen a saw bigger than an 026 or MS260, the newest MS261 was all they could find picts of. I went out to the truck and fetched in my trusty MS440 Arctic, set it down and then showed them some picts on my phone, they were flabbergasted. That is the level of service I had to sink down to when my favorite guy moved on to bigger and better things. Trade on a 044 you say, they wouldn`t have a clue but still try to sell me a POS homeowner saw for doing heavy woods work, might get a week out of one cutting branches off Christmas trees....LOL

I hear that they have weak rods in those.........

I heard they bend rather easily if trying to remove the flywheel, don`t block the piston. Use an impact instead, let the piston revolve up against the compression, a couple tics of the gun the flywheel or clutch will be off with no damage done.

Ok as of now I'm just debating at the moment, the saw here with a 20 in bar runs 500 bucks. The guy in California stated 320 to rebuild the saw and that includes shipping both ways. I am looking for a ms 391 cylinder but not having much luck. I'm going to sell the saw for 420. No pun lol attended but like I said I'm more of a husqvarna guy. There are alot of stihl guys In my area so I'm sure i can get that price out of it. But like i said I'm still debating

I heard they bend rather easily if trying to remove the flywheel, don`t block the piston. Use an impact instead, let the piston revolve up against the compression, a couple tics of the gun the flywheel or clutch will be off with no damage done.

i do that with all of em.
3/8 butterfly.

Latest posts

Back