New to the alaskan mill.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juliand

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,
this is my first post here. I've found this is the best online resource for chainsaw info. Maybe you guys can help me out.
I was recently gifted an old stihl 031av (in the shop for repair, seems it should be running again soon). After that I was gifted a husqvarna 65L. I couldn't find parts so I was sold another old practica 65 (in running order) from my local dealer to swap the air filter (got it for 100 bucks) so now I have 2 running 65cc saws and an alaskan mill on the way.
For the most part i'll be milling cedar, maybe some Doug fir and a bit of arbutus and am looking for some info on bar size and best ripping chain. I currently have 2 20" bars and a 16". The majority of the logs ill be cutting are 16-18" but if I can use a longer bar, my options for logs opens up, especially since I'll be losing 4ish inches of bar with the mill.
What do you guys think? Can I pop a 24" or 32" on my saw? Should I go with a narrow kerf ripper? Low profile?
Also... if anyone knows where I can find a replacement air filter and back cover for the 65 without paying more than the part is worth in shipping to BC I would be forever grateful. Everything I find is out of stock or or $30+ for shipping on a 20$ part.

Theres a milling& sawmill forum further down the list on the main page. You'll likely get some answers there.

Back