New Toys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up a chopping axe and throwing axe from Bailey's this week. Is there any place online to find out how to put a decent edge on them?
And what are the specs on a target for the throwing axe, diameter, height etc.

DSCN0132.jpg

DSCN0130.jpg

OK, I shouldn't even post this, don't laugh at me now, but here's the jig I made to sharpen my axe.......... The arm that wipes across the blade is bent 7 degrees, so 7 degrees on each side leaves a 14 degree chisel edge. I use adhesive backed sandpaper on the jig, then stone by hand. I couldn't afford to do it right so I improvised.:(

attachment.php

attachment.php

Man, it looks like Christmas came early!!!

Trout, It looks like you have put a nice chisel on it, I like the jig.

You might want to try this for putting the edge on it. This is from Jamie Cogar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEMqVVKXkm4&feature=channel_page

There are a bunch of cool timbersports stuff on his youtube as well.

There is more of my take on sharpening in this thread.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=73835
It should go without saying that Jamie know WWAAAAYYYY more about it than I do.

Since I'm just getting started I like the low/ no budget method of doing things. I'm going to steal your jig setup, and I picked up a knife sharpening set from ####'s Sporting Goods for 40$. It looks like it should be able to put an edge on them once I get a proper angle. Thanks for the advice guys.

Very cool! Let us know how you make out. A person can spend thousands of dollars in this sport. I can't afford the best equipment, so I do what I can. I've only been chopping for a few months, so no matter what axe I have I'm gonna get beat for a while. Right now I could make Bolstad's axe look bad:) Once I'm getting closer to competition times and I think the axe is what's holding me back, I'll step up to something better.......sharpened by a pro.

Good looking jig. It reminds me my Tuatahi jig is out of sorts and needs to have a bolt replaced before I get back to axe maintenance here.

Axe/equipment maintenance is almost as big a part of axemenship as chopping technique. Learning how to take care of your own gear is a huge deal.

As for upgrading gear, an axe that is really suited to the wood is a special treat.

Keep an eye on Youtube for training bits, excellent advice there.

That jig looks fine trout, its no prettier than my ugly homemade jig. As for sharpening a throwing axe, I have been known to use a trailer hitch and a hammer (I keep hitting Andys 67 ford that is parked too close to the target).

As for sharpening a throwing axe, I have been known to use a trailer hitch and a hammer (I keep hitting Andys 67 ford that is parked too close to the target).

Yup! I have taken a grinder to it after bouncing it off some stones. I tend to mix axe throwing and beer drinking when practicing at home.......I don't need sharp tools:cheers:

Last edited:
Good looking jig. It reminds me my Tuatahi jig is out of sorts and needs to have a bolt replaced before I get back to axe maintenance here.

Axe/equipment maintenance is almost as big a part of axemenship as chopping technique. Learning how to take care of your own gear is a huge deal.

As for upgrading gear, an axe that is really suited to the wood is a special treat.

Keep an eye on Youtube for training bits, excellent advice there.

Thanks Cheese. I know you are an excellent chopper, It's good to see you here. Maybe you can help us wanna-be's.

That jig looks fine trout, its no prettier than my ugly homemade jig. As for sharpening a throwing axe, I have been known to use a trailer hitch and a hammer (I keep hitting Andys 67 ford that is parked too close to the target).

I guess it would depend on who's throwing, whether that beautiful old truck is too close to the target.:laugh:
You, and Ella are the only ones to punish that old truck (yet).

I don't have a fancy throwing axe, but I've filed my full size KELLY enough that it's almost too light to be legal. ;)

Andy

I guess it would depend on who's throwing, whether that beautiful old truck is too close to the target.:laugh:
You, and Ella are the only ones to punish that old truck (yet).

I don't have a fancy throwing axe, but I've filed my full size KELLY enough that it's almost too light to be legal. ;)

Andy

At least I aim for the bumper, Ella usually squares the sheet metal.

I didn't get to do much of anything this summer I was putting in 65-70 hours a week at the shop. I've got the gear and over the winter I'll have time to mess around and hopefully get some practice in, and maybe compete a couple times next year.

Back