New tree show on TLC tonight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haven't seen the show but i heard all about it...I was climbing for another forestry outfit here when this was going on....The main contractor (gord) lost a big contract due an accident that occured on camera, or so I heard...that's what happens when you bring a camera onto the worksite...

Why did they climb that big tree and top it when they were just going to dropp it anyways. A lot easier to top on the ground. Any idea how old a tree like that is?

I guess the show is ok but it needs more excitement maybe the heli should lose a log or two every now and then.

I use to work with a guy that climbed trees on the west coast like that for a logging outfit and he moved here and he always called the trees here tooth picks.

The helicopters do lose logs from time to time. Also if the weight is underestimated, the pilot will have to punch out and drop the logs.

I have worked for companies where the helicopters would either land the logs on a road landing or drop them in the ocean in a bullpen. They can make a pretty impressive splash when they are dropped from 150'.

I thought the guy inflated the cost of all the equipment quite a bit in the beginning. Good show after that until I fell asleep. Not from boredom, but from working in the cold all day. I will tune in next week.

$15,000 an hour for the chopper? How can they make money paying that bill. Wow..... Mike

Because there is no scr3wing around. The flight time from the cutblock to the landing zone is carefully calculated, so the $/kg cost is already determined. The value of the wood is determined and probably already sold. I didn't see the show so I'm not sure if the standing timber is already under licence to the a forest company or if the sale was bought on auction from the government. If it was bought at auction, then the loggers worked with a timber broker or sawmill to determine the value of the timber.

So they make money if things run relatively smoothly. If the helicopter isn't picking up wood or getting fuel, it's not flying.

I saw what I think was the first show with a guy doing a lot of yelling. The climber's helmet looked like it was brand new. They damaged some lady's shack doing a crane removal. I turned it off because it was so embarrassing.

By the way, is anybody having a problem with the sound being completely out of sync with the video by like 20 seconds? I want to watch episode 6 where something gets crushed.

i was in that tv show

yeah i agree with most of your comments, but you should all know that it has been extremly edited for tv and 95% of what they show is made up. when they first approached us about it they claimed it was goin to be a documentry and after they filmed for a few months i realized what they were looking for....DRAMA and i hate that BS so i quit and they made me look like a bloody idiot. i wont watch the show. very unhappy about the whole thing theres an upside for me tho. i started up andther stemming program for a great company that has a good rep in plain ol falling and now were the only ones workin while the tv stars are sittin at home. i kinda had a feelin that would happen i just glad i bailed when i did

You have to remember that television is television. Paul Nosak is not really like that. He is acting to make the show, "a show". At least the public can see that it takes a lot of money to operate a tree service company and that arboriculture is a real industry. In the end that brings people like us more money in the end. Now mabey some of you city slickers dont have this problem but where I am from, people dont understand what it actually takes to remove a large tree. Many people dont even know what arboriculture is really made of. They might think of the term "tree trimmer" but not arborist. It gives this industry a little more recognition.

Last edited:
yeah i agree with most of your comments, but you should all know that it has been extremly edited for tv and 95% of what they show is made up. when they first approached us about it they claimed it was goin to be a documentry and after they filmed for a few months i realized what they were looking for....DRAMA and i hate that BS so i quit and they made me look like a bloody idiot. i wont watch the show. very unhappy about the whole thing theres an upside for me tho. i started up andther stemming program for a great company that has a good rep in plain ol falling and now were the only ones workin while the tv stars are sittin at home. i kinda had a feelin that would happen i just glad i bailed when i did

What is/was your name in the show?

I thought Paul Nosak paid out of pocket to film this show?

Back