New "unwanted" Log drop - What kind is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I decided to block off my area because I didn't want any more logs (I need to clean up area first) and caught on camera was this tree guy moving my "barricade" and dropped off Logs without even telling me first!

Kinda frustrated but......... Looks like good wood. What kind is this? Hickory? Splits stringy and has a nice oak like scent to it.

I thought was ash by the yellowish bark color but I don't think it is.

First.... see the guy moving my cone and barrier?

3YmNxdCh.jpg

See the drop? I usually park my truck here.

asSJQnsh.jpg

Here's the wood...

g9AyMS3h.jpg

Nice cuts.

7DMvAUph.jpg

Close up of a Log

Hj7230yh.jpg

2 different kinds? 1 has smoothish bark and grayish, the other deeper ridges and yellowish. (little wet here)

RVdXi20h.jpg

The rings

XtPVJUEh.jpg

Inside of split

wYvMWnOh.jpg

Thanks guys

Talk about looking at a gift horse in the mouth. Dropping wood off at your place of burning already bucked into rounds. For free. I’m surprised you don’t ask them to run it through a splitter first.

Looks like ash to me.

lol, yeah, that was the only thing that kept me from calling the guy and saying what the heck.

The only thing that makes me suspicious about it being Ash is this..

Almost 50% moisture?? Splits pretty easily but stringy with straight grains

ufiasrxh.jpg

Ash is good firewood. Light weight drys fast, lights easy, burns hot. Thats what I prefer if I'm going camping and I want to bring firewood with me. Because it's light weight, it's less weight in the truck. I'd be calling him for sure, but not to complain but say thank you and to ask for more.

Are you getting your log drops through a web site? I know the one I used just changed it’s the way they do drops. I have to go onto the site and select in active for me not to receive anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got about eight cords dropped off at one of my places almost the same situation about two weeks ago. Am wondering if it will be dry by December though. If we get cold weather like last winter no problem to be dry then. Thanks

No stumps, no chips, no problem. When Dad was still in business, and we had an address to dump a load of wood, I'd move the barrier in a heart beat and dump. Figured they had the space set aside just for me. I was at an auction a couple weeks ago, bidding on an old chainsaw, and a farmer asked if I wanted 90 Ash trees on his farm, dead, take for free. Another farmer heard him and said he had about 60, all for free. I just have no need for them. I have 3 farms that let me cut all the dead standing Oak I want. I might have to take down a few Ash on one farm, the owner is a friend, and she's afraid a few can reach her hay barn if they go over. If anyone in the mid MD area wants a lot of Ash, let me know. The one farmer with 90 trees is at the auction almost every week.

Back