new user

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastpeak

Reaction score
What can anyone here tell me about an EFCO mdl. 962 chainsaw.
I came into possession of one in near new condition, and am wondering if I should use it, or sell it while it's still in such good condition and put the money towards a different saw. I have been cutting w/ a Stihl 026 and am content w/ it. Any idea how the EFCO would compare? Thanks

Eastpeak, your EFCO 962 is also know as an Olympyk 962 which is made by Oleo-Mac located in Italy. Oleo-Mac is also producing the new pro-series CS line of chain saws for John Deere. The John Deere CS62 is identical to your 962. For all the specifications and general information on your saw, you can go to the John Deere website (go to homeowners section then go to the chain saw section). Engineering-wise the 962 / CS62 looks pretty good - magnesium motor cases, 3 piece crankshaft assembly, 4.7 HP, 12.4 pounds (which gives it a better power-to-weight ratio than either the Stihl 036 Pro or the Husqvarna 357XP), primer bulb carburetor, decompression valve, etc. The negative points are an outboard clutch and (I think) it comes with a .325 chain when it should have a 3/8. As far as using one and how it compares in the field, you'll have to get input from other members as I have not yet used one.

I second what motorhead said, however, if you want to sell it, please let me know, I'm interested in buying it.

re:EFCO 962

Thanks for the information. Now I'll let my ignorance REALLY show: what is an outboard clutch, how would I know one if I saw one, and why would one consider it a negative feature. What would be preferable. Second, can a 3/8 and a .325 be freely interchanged, and how significant a difference in cutting performance would such a change yield. I've been cutting for years, and am only now beginning to realize how much I don't know.

An outboard clutch has the sprocket in between the crankshaft and the clutch. It is a negative for loggers because it takes longer to change chains and change sprockets. For the occasional user it makes no difference. Husqvarna uses outboard clutches because they move the bar more towards the center of the saw for better balance, and because they keep the heat from the clutch farther away from the crank which increases crank seal life. You cannot interchange .325 and 3/8 without changing the sprocket and the bar to match the chain. I would put 3/8 on this saw because it sounds like you will have enough power to efficiently pull it. If you had, say, a 3hp saw than you would want to run .325 to keep from bogging the motor. Hope this helps.

Good Morning Huskyman,
You forgot the most important point for inboard vs outboard clutches. for the fallers when they are falling a big tree and it sets back and pinches theif bar with the inboard clutch they can pop off the bar cover, remove the e clip , take the powerhead off the bar and not lose thier saw if the tree comes over on the bar and saw
ken dunn

Yeah, that too. However I got my 55 stuck when a huge stump shifted and was able to get my saw unattached leaving the bar and chain in the stump. It wasnt too good for the chain, though. I figured it was shot but I sharpened it and it still works. I love 34LG chain.

Latest posts

Back