New Vs Used Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is it better to buy new or used?

• Buy new

Votes: 24 17.5%
  • Buy used

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • depends on the deal

Votes: 92 67.2%

• Total voters

surfincr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i recently decided that in the near future i am going to pick up a stihl ms660 to round out my working saw collection but became stuck on the decision to buy new or used, so i wanted to poll the board.

i know some of the benefits of buying new is: no previous history, there is a warranty, and just the obvious of its new and shinny

for used i realize you can save quite a bit of money(usually)

but my question is, is it worth saving the money to face the possibility the previous owner didnt mess up the saw?

I voted depends on the deal. If I can inspect a saw before I buy and check the compression, look in the exhaust port, feel the bearings etc. I would buy used to save the money. I would balk at buying used from ebay if I was counting on something to make my living with.

If you buy from here it's a good chance you will get a good used one. If you buy off ebay plan on spending money to get it right. Craigslist if you can find one close you can check it out and decide how good of shape one is in.

I prefer new if I can get a good price. I got a new 460 for $940, a new 361 for $620, two new 200T for $620 each. Makes good sense when you see how high the used prices are. I just don't think that some of the used up worn out stuff should command the prices people like to ask. I keep seeing 70cc pro Stihl and Huskys that are beat for #### and guys asking 500 bucks. They ain't worth that to me when they could easily need 200 in parts. Puts em way too close to what a new would be

As others have said, it depends. If you're a pro why would you consider anything but new? Your time is too valuable to dink around with anything used. But if you don't make your living with a saw, then a good used one offers the potential to save a lot of money IF you don't mind and are able to diagnose and fix any issues with it. I've bought two saws new, 3 used and one for free. The two new ones have had almost no issues in over 20 years, a couple of carb rebuild kits and fuel lines. One of the 3 used ones has cost me nothing in the year I've owned it, the other two cost me about $50 each in carb. parts and a new chain or bar to get running, after which there has been no additional cost. And, maybe not so surprisingly, the free one has now cost me more than 2 of the used ones combined. So, new is always good, used can be good, and free - rarely is.

All said and done, I liked used ones because I think there are some very good saws out there for the money and I like to fix things. Used pro Stihl and Husky saws are often over priced, as others have said, so I look for other pro brands.

i see so many used , beat up looking, pro model saws selling for only a couple hundred bucks less, in some cases only $100 less, than you can get a new one for, this makes no sense to me.

i see so many used , beat up looking, pro model saws selling for only a couple hundred bucks less, in some cases only $100 less, than you can get a new one for, this makes no sense to me.

Yeah, the problem is that too many people think a trashed old used up saw is worth a mint. I do not understand it. I'll buy new for just a bit more every time. I'd still buy a tough old saw but it can't be priced like so many are

i remember bidding on an old 036 pro on ebay a couple months back.. the auction ended at about $450 + shipping

you can buy a brand new 361 powerhead for about $80 more...:dizzy:

Ofcourse if money is no issue I would buy new. But I can't afford a new saw. Plus I don't want a new saw. I would rather buy a used cheap beater and rebuild it. Then you basically have a new saw for used price. Plus you know whats in it and appreciate it more cause of the father_saw bonding time. :cheers:

If you don't have the mechanical ability to do a full top and bottom end rebuild then I would buy new from a dealer that has GOOD support. Plus the saw will have a warrenty. If you are using the saw to make money then only after a few jobs the saw will have paid for itself.

Last edited:
with the price of new parts and the prices folks think used saws are worth I don't see rebuilds as being cheaper than new. If the donor saw can be had for very little or free then I agree completely.

with the price of new parts and the prices folks think used saws are worth I don't see rebuilds as being cheaper than new. If the donor saw can be had for very little or free then I agree completely.

I'm mainly talking about non running saws or parts saws on ebay or a private seller. Also everyone thinks, if it has the name "stihl" on the saw, then it increases the value no matter what saw. Husqvarna not so much. Atleast with the older saws.

I voted depends on the deal. Some used saws can be great, while others can be money pits. You really have to look a saw over carefully before buying used.

I buy new only , I have a great dealer I buy lots of saws from , I pound a crap load of hours on them , put a fairly new bar and safety chain on it and then sell them for about 100 to 125 % of what I paid for it on ebay after 2 years or if I think it has issues .

When someone gets rid of something, there always is a reason, I believe.

I have always bought new saws, but isn't fanatic about it.......:)

I buy new only , I have a great dealer I buy lots of saws from , I pound a crap load of hours on them , put a fairly new bar and safety chain on it and then sell them for about 100 to 125 % of what I paid for it on ebay after 2 years or if I think it has issues .

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Is it just me, or did this guy just expose his 'screw anyone who is dumb enuff' policy to the masses?

Where do I sign up to buy saws from a guy(?) named 'webie' that pounds a crap load of hours on em and sells em with a fairly new bar and safety chain for 100 to 125 % of what he paid for it(?) on ebay after two years or if he thinks it has issues --especially when he buys "new only"?

Geezus. I hope they're at least 'cord modded' -- the chains and bars that is. (That was a complex joke. Nevermind.)

More :dizzy:?

Or is this guy just REALLY funny and I don't quite get it yet?

Space? Perhaps this requires your expert interpretation of such complex humor and innuendo for those of us less inclined to embrace what otherwise appears to be sheer idiocy?

As far as the OP question, I buy what I want when I want because I indeed suffer from CAD and am a complete a$$. But that's just me.

And remind me not to buy ANY saw from 'webie' any time soon.

Best saw I have is an 026 I got as a box o' parts for forty bux.

Poge

Last edited:
Voted depends on deal. I only buy used if I can check them out, or know the seller. However if the saw is my go-to saw it has to be new.

Latest posts

Back