New Vs Used Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is it better to buy new or used?

• Buy new

Votes: 24 17.5%
  • Buy used

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • depends on the deal

Votes: 92 67.2%

• Total voters
I voted for used. I have got great deal on a NOS 440. I couldn't bring myself to get it a dirty and scared up. I sold it. From now on, I'll just keep my eyes open for used deals.

Haven't read this whole thread after responding to the poll, so maybe it's already been mentioned. But you lose X% immediately when you walk out the door with a piece of new power equipment.

If you are experienced, buy smart, buy lightly used. If you don't know much about saws, buy new so you have some protection while you're getting to know the ropes. :)

Haven't read this whole thread after responding to the poll, so maybe it's already been mentioned. But you lose X% immediately when you walk out the door with a piece of new power equipment.

If you are experienced, buy smart, buy lightly used. If you don't know much about saws, buy new so you have some protection while you're getting to know the ropes. :)

:agree2:

Exactly. I always buy used, but barely used. I just wait until the right deal come by.

Found mt 660 for sale on Ebay, yea Ebay, for 700 bucks. The guy was a couple hours away and had just posted iton Ebay. Starting bid at 700. I called him immediatly and offered him 700 cash the next morning. He accepted it and I had a new 660, only three tanks old for 700 bucks.
100_1067.jpg

Just a few weeks ago I also bought this ms361 on Ebay for 500 bucks. Only used 5 tanks. Has almost 200 bucks worth of extras on it. Wrap handle, bigger clutch cover and double dawgs with the roller catcher.
ms3613-1.jpg

If you look long enough, you will find a deal worth going for. Both of these saws are flawless, inside and out. :) No need to buy new when you can steal them in condition as good as new.
Just don't buy anything off this Webie dude that posted awhile ago.
That was'nt to smart to post if you plan on selling any saws here man.:monkey:

Last edited:
:agree2:

Exactly. I always buy used, but barely used. I just wait until the right deal come by.

Found mt 660 for sale on Ebay, yea Ebay, for 700 bucks. The guy was a couple hours away and had just posted iton Ebay. Starting bid at 700. I called him immediatly and offered him 700 cash the next morning. He accepted it and I had a new 660, only three tanks old for 700 bucks.
100_1067.jpg

Just a few weeks ago I also bought this ms361 on Ebay for 500 bucks. Only used 5 tanks. Has almost 200 bucks worth of extras on it. Wrap handle, bigger clutch cover and double dawgs with the roller catcher.
ms3613-1.jpg

If you look long enough, you will find a deal worth going for. Both of these saws are flawless, inside and out. :) No need to buy new when you can steal them in condition as good as new.

those are exceptional examples you have there anthony!@
.. now, browse my local craigslist and see what you find lol:greenchainsaw:

I've only purchased 2 saws new...one of them I sold after 4 or 5 tanks of fuel for a profit. I'm not using them to make a living so I enjoy tinkering w/ used saws. My workhorses are nothing to look at but cut alot of wood and I don't have to worry about scratches.
If I was making a living w/ them I'd be buying new.

I buy used, cause I don't make my living with em, & like to tinker. So far I've come out real well, Most I paid was $ 400.00 for the 064, & it's in great shape. I knew the owner, & it was just too much saw for him as he's a bit older. The most I've put into a saw so far was about $ 150.00 into the 034 super, & I got that for nothing in a trade/sale of a pm 605 Mac. If one saw gives me any trouble I've got enough others to finish the day with & repair later. Good poll.
A C

I only buy used.

Just not from this guy...

I buy new only , I have a great dealer I buy lots of saws from , I pound a crap load of hours on them , put a fairly new bar and safety chain on it and then sell them for about 100 to 125 % of what I paid for it on ebay after 2 years or if I think it has issues .

Theres too many good deals on used saws if you look hard enough so theres no way Im gonna shell the ching to buy a new one. You might not get the exact saw you want when you want but eventually most saws come for sale cheap.

Last edited:
Used every time for me. Saws are pretty simple machines. If you can't work on saws and fix any problem,then new would a better choice for many.

There are great deals out there used,but you have to be patient. I agree the Stihl's are harder to come by for a great price used. I don't use my saws for work,but I would have no issues doing so if needed. I try to know my saws inside out. There is no big mystery about how they'll perform. If a problem crops up,it I fix it. Again, if you can't repair saws yourself then my opinion may not apply about buying used.:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
I buy new only , I have a great dealer I buy lots of saws from , I pound a crap load of hours on them , put a fairly new bar and safety chain on it and then sell them for about 100 to 125 % of what I paid for it on ebay after 2 years or if I think it has issues .

Ok guys what do you think ebay is for ?
I know a couple of guys that go so far as to buy a new saw strip all the outer shell off put that on the old saw there selling , including the last that I seen was a bar so worn out I couldn't believe it . It got a fresh coat of paint and a stencil kit ,,looked real pretty in a picture , guy cut with it a few times to scratch the paint up and down the road it went .
Saw for sale looks like new , Guy just came up short of paying for his new saw ,,,,,,,,,Gotta chuckle at those guys buying on ebay !

Good luck I buy new, and dump the worn out stuff on ebay thats a buisness mans best friend . I know a lot of saws that have been dumped on ebay so dont be too sure you didnt get one of them .........

I voted for depends on the deal too. I picked up a Ms200t for a $180 great deal and a Ms460 for $250 another great deal both are in great shape. If you are not in a big hurry you can find good used stuff.

Oh ya, The other Ms200t came from flebay and its a POS!!!! Lesson learned!!!!

Ok guys what do you think ebay is for ?
I know a couple of guys that go so far as to buy a new saw strip all the outer shell off put that on the old saw there selling , including the last that I seen was a bar so worn out I couldn't believe it . It got a fresh coat of paint and a stencil kit ,,looked real pretty in a picture , guy cut with it a few times to scratch the paint up and down the road it went .
Saw for sale looks like new , Guy just came up short of paying for his new saw ,,,,,,,,,Gotta chuckle at those guys buying on ebay !

Yup.

Misrepresentation is hilarious...if you are a douchebag.

It depends on the deal... I try to buy new, but if a real good deal comes along. You just have pounce on it!

Now that I've got Mac "yellow fever". My collection of old saws needing work is growing! I've been searching for n.i.b mac's for my collection. They are rare birds to say least!

Mike

Back