New Vs Used Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is it better to buy new or used?

• Buy new

Votes: 24 17.5%
  • Buy used

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • depends on the deal

Votes: 92 67.2%

• Total voters
yea it depends on the deal there bud but if yoiu could give the saw a good check out you might come out with a good deal but if they won't let you check it out then i would tell them i'll pass on the deal

Around here, the local Craigslist has mostly the smaller homeowner saws. Only occasionally does a pro saw come up, and guys expect to get almost the cost of new for it.

To me, it is no bargain if a guy wants $700 for a used saw that can be bought new for $800. (I just saw a well worn MS361 for $550, what a deal!). There may be better deals online, but unless I knew the seller and the saw's history, I personally am not comfortable with buying an expensive saw without seeing it in person.

Looking for several months to get a good used 70cc+ saw for bucking, like a 372XP, 7900 or 440/460, or bigger, but at this point I think it will have to be new.

This website has ruined me. Why do I think I need a $1000 chainsaw to cut firewood?

I voted depends on the deal. I prefer to buy an old saw that is claimed to not be running. As long as it has good compression and spark, depending on what coil it has, it is more than worth it to me to get it running. Those are the saws that only cost $10 to $20 (before shipping) and the ones you learn the most about.

I'll throw my 2 bits in too. I generally just like the old saws better. I guess it's because it reminds me of days gone by when I would cut firewood with my dad every weekend in the fall, or at least until deer season.

The thing that I DON'T like about a new ANYTHING (saw, car, truck, gun, ...) is that there's little to no history on it to know what inherent problems it has, or whether that modle is known to be a turd or not. With websites like this, I can read up on a particular brand or model and have a pretty good idea of what I can expect to get out of an old saw reliability wise (so long as the saw is good shape). I've heard too many horor stories of how a new this or that never did run right from the day it was brand new.

When it comes down to it, for me, it's all about the money. I am trying to save as much of it as I can. So I heat with firewood, and I buy used saws. I voted for used saws, but obviously I'm not going to pay new saw prices for a rebuilt or a used saw. Then again, I might be pretty lucky. I have found a small shop that rebuilds saws from mostly salvaged (in good condition) parts. They focus on 50cc and up. I've bought two of my saws from them, and I've been very impressed with the guys costs, work, and his generally being a nice guy. Can't sharpen a chain for squat IMHO, but does a good with the rest of the saw :) They generally sell rebuilt 034 and 036 saws for around $200. For that price, they could almost be disposable (thankfully they are not). If I'm buying anything used that's in nearly new condition, I won't give over %75 of the best price I can find ANYWHERE for a brand spanking new one, and even then I would have to REALLY want or need the item. Most of the time I stick closer to about %50. So if I can go buy the saw new for $600 somewhere in California (I live in Indiana), then the most I'd be willing to give for the same or a comperable saw used is $300. If they don't want to sell it for that, then they can keep their saw/car/truck/gun and I'll fold my Benjamin's back up and put them back in my wallet. I don't care how pretty the item looks, a fist full of Benjamins just about always looks better :)

Now, if I made a living out of cutting wood, whether it was firewood or actual timber, I might have a different perspective. I'd be willing to pay more for a newer, nearly new, or even a brand spanking new saw.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

Last edited:
Depends on the deal...I have never seen a 200T for sale used that wasn't a ragged-out POS...but I did buy a used 880 (on Craigslist) for $800.00 last december. The 880 turned out to be almost brand new, with a 72" bar and a carbide chain...clearly a $2000.00+ set up...the former owner has a paper plant and used the saw to cut giant rolls of paper before the bought new processing equipment.

We bought junk too...on purpose. A 440 for $100.00 and a 066 for $120.00...knowing they would need MAJOR rebuild work. Both saws were overhauled, rebuilt and finished out for less than $500.00 total each (we did all the work ourselves). Both those saws are working saws in our operation, and run fantastic...big bore, Meteor pistons, muffler mods, etc...plus we know every single part in 'em personally...which make them just that much more satisfying and fufilling to run.

And we have bought new too...nuthin wrong with that if you have the coin and no time for a total rebuild. Plus there's something uniquely satisfying about walking out of the dealer with a purdy new saw in yer hands...:heart:

If i was a pro i`d buy new. I can claim the tax back off it. Being a regular customer to my favourate dealer i`d be in line from some deals. No real worries about fixing anything for a while.
I`m not a pro, so i buy used. Had some great saws off the bay and one stinker.
The good saws were `buy it nows`just listed. The basket case i bid on. Speaks volumes really.
Looking for good `buy it nows` takes some time and patience, but they are there,normally in the week. The crapper i bid on a saturday or sunday evenings bidding where you`re up against a lot of people, some of them supping beer.
I did rebuild the basket case, and enjoyed the experience, but i put a lot of money in it.

Ok guys what do you think ebay is for ?
I know a couple of guys that go so far as to buy a new saw strip all the outer shell off put that on the old saw there selling , including the last that I seen was a bar so worn out I couldn't believe it . It got a fresh coat of paint and a stencil kit ,,looked real pretty in a picture , guy cut with it a few times to scratch the paint up and down the road it went .
Saw for sale looks like new , Guy just came up short of paying for his new saw ,,,,,,,,,Gotta chuckle at those guys buying on ebay !

Good luck I buy new, and dump the worn out stuff on ebay thats a buisness mans best friend . I know a lot of saws that have been dumped on ebay so dont be too sure you didnt get one of them .........
<
, I know this is an old post but where did you get a stencil kit ?

Since I just purchased most of the husky disassembly and assembly tools plus I had experience in splitting chainsaw cases before right now I’d buy used. My only problem is most of the non running saws can be easily fixed. I hate to see a non running saw sit there for parts when a few dollars can fix it.
Back in the 70’s and early 80’s I purchased new for the bizz. But back then no one knew about husky saws here yet. They were just taking off.

I know this is an old post but where did you get a stencil kit ?

Depending on what you're looking for, Sugar Creek Supply https://www.sugarcreeksupply.net/ is a good source for harder to find bar stencils, decals, and stickers. Stickers and decals for newer saws are typically available through their respective dealers.

Back