ArboristSite.com Sponsors

New Website

Discussion in 'Bailey's' started by 2dogs, Dec 6, 2018.

1. 2dogs

2dogs Addicted to ArboristSite

The new website looks good. The old site did not work well for me so I simply ordered from another vendor. If your service returns to what it was years ago I'll be back. I do hope so.

flatbroke and Philbert like this.
  2. flatbroke

flatbroke ArboristSite Operative

I hope so as well.

3. Gatun crocs

Gatun crocs ArboristSite Lurker

I think their new site is pretty badly designed. No obvious order to their products and the search function simply doesn’t work. It’s my first time trying to purchase from them, and between the horrible customer service and their bad website, I am looking elsewhere.

flatbroke likes this.
  4. flatbroke

flatbroke ArboristSite Operative

it is pretty sad. but they must be selling a butt load of stuff. I got different answers on a saw, from discontinued, not in stock, to we have 40 of them for the same saw. its weird, but is what it is I guess. I also got 2 different prices with no sales going. they actually did me a favor, I was buying out of want vs need and the extra 100 increase less than 24 hours later put that fire out.

5. madosta

madosta ArboristSite Lurker

Overall a nice design, just a couple issues I've had with the new site:
    • I like the old bar and chain selectors, used those primarily.
    • Slow load times
    • http://baileysonline.com doesn't seem to work, but https://www.baileysonline.com does work albeit slow.
    • All the bar and chain images take up a lot of space and I can scroll the page horizontally - I don't need the picture of the box, I like the way the chain details are presented in the paper catalog. Might convince me to try different chain, etc.

6. ericm979

ericm979 ArboristSite Operative

I'm a software engineer and sadly I see a lot of bad web site designs. The old one worked. This one needed more QA before you switched to it.

The chainsaw chain selector is gone! Sure you can click on chains under the selectors menu and you get a page with some chains on it but the selector's not there. This was literally the best thing on the web site and it's broken now. The bar selector has the same problem, the page shows a random selection of bars but not the actual selector. The selectors with their extensive databases were a major advantage that Bailey's had over other on line stores.

The menus are impossible to navigate because they pop up when you hover over them. For example, I want to see chainsaw chain. I hover over "chainsaws" on the main menu bar and it pops up a menu which has "chainsaw chains" a couple items down. But if I move the pointer towards that, as soon as it crosses the top item "chainsaws" that pops up a sub menu over the original menu, keeping me from getting to the chains item. This is on firefox. Ok, I found a way to make it work- there's a tiny slice of the underlying menu that I can get at. But it's still poor usability. The second level menus need to be placed with more offset so you can see the first level underneath. Or better, make the menu items clickable rather than popping up when you hover over them. Just because there's a spiffy UI feature, you don't have to use it.

The main page should match the current browser width, not be wider with a scroll bar. I'm using a laptop and there's a part of the page that's off the screen to the right. The designer did their work on a large screen and didn't bother to check with a laptop. Actually it looks like its a problem on every page- the page is always slightly wider than the browser window.

The search function needs improvement. For example I navigate to the chainsaw pants section, then select the "long" pants. It shows me one pant which does not come in long lengths, and I know from your catalog that there are other pants that do come in long but aren't being shown.

So far everything I've looked at has had a problem. :-(

Man, this is a bummer. I've bought a lot of stuff from y'all but the new site sure is hard to use.

7. NeSurfcaster

NeSurfcaster ArboristSite Operative

I ordered many chains from baileys because it was easy and well organized. I need odd link counts so having them spin them for me was easy. But now it takes twice as long to find the chains I'm lookin for. I figure they will get it straightened out in time tho...

8. ericm979

ericm979 ArboristSite Operative

Looks like some of the issues I raised above are fixed... but not the selectors. A list of 850 chains is not a selector.