New Wood Shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's try this, this way one more time

Ok, how did this work???:confused:

Doug :cheers:

Ohh, ooh oooh! :cool: That's real nice Doug! :clap: All of the sheds on this thread are.

And I see Plenty of Western Red to :chainsaw: fall:chainsaw: and make into kindling just out beyond!

Hell, I could probably deck those right on top of the shed if you was to want to make it easier on yourself!!! ;)

Bob

Thanks Bob, we already had 3 Large Cedars, and a Medium Fir taken down last year, and there will be at Least one more Large Cedar, to come down probably next year, that one is starting to push the back fence over. When we have that one taken down, and the stump ground, and the dirt leveled out, I want to build a shed similar to the one shown, but MUCH longer, probably 30-40' long. That one, I am still debating if I want to make it 2 or 3 rows wide. I would prefer 3, but that might make the walkway between it and the current shed narrower than I want, and may be closer to the fence than I want, where it would shed snow against the fence, also possibly pushing it over, where the Cedar hasn't managed yet. To get the clearance between the fence and sheds I want/need, I may have to accept it just being 2 rows, but I sure would like the added capacity of a 3rd row.

The Cedars we had taken down last year were 85-110' tall, and only about 15' or so from both our house and the neighbor's house, so Yeah, I paid someone to do it. Everybody said that Simon Burke, of Simon's Tree Service was the Man to call, I didn't regret calling him, I will use him on the other trees we may need taken down, He made it look easier than I am sure it was, but it was interesting to watch someone work that Knows what they are doing, AND, he has the Right Color of Saws;):):laughing:.

I still have about half a dozen 7-8' logs left from those cedars to mill for some projects, thinking about some half log Picnic tables, I have more Ideas, than I do Time or room to work right now:(. We ended up with about a cord and a half of Cedar firewood from those stuff that was smaller than project size or other flaws. We always prized the few cedars we scrounged for Kindling, when I was a kid, but I had way more than I needed for kindling, so we split a bunch firewood size,, and it was better than I expected, not all night burning but, good for in the evenings, and saved the better wood for longer burning when needed. Cedar isn't what I would go looking for, but when it is in the yard, it is easier to haul to the stove than to dump it somewhere, and it does produce BTU's.

Thanks Bob, we already had 3 Large Cedars, and a Medium Fir taken down last year, and there will be at Least one more Large Cedar, to come down probably next year, that one is starting to push the back fence over. When we have that one taken down, and the stump ground, and the dirt leveled out, I want to build a shed similar to the one shown, but MUCH longer, probably 30-40' long. That one, I am still debating if I want to make it 2 or 3 rows wide. I would prefer 3, but that might make the walkway between it and the current shed narrower than I want, and may be closer to the fence than I want, where it would shed snow against the fence, also possibly pushing it over, where the Cedar hasn't managed yet. To get the clearance between the fence and sheds I want/need, I may have to accept it just being 2 rows, but I sure would like the added capacity of a 3rd row.

The Cedars we had taken down last year were 85-110' tall, and only about 15' or so from both our house and the neighbor's house, so Yeah, I paid someone to do it. Everybody said that Simon Burke, of Simon's Tree Service was the Man to call, I didn't regret calling him, I will use him on the other trees we may need taken down, He made it look easier than I am sure it was, but it was interesting to watch someone work that Knows what they are doing, AND, he has the Right Color of Saws;):):laughing:.

I still have about half a dozen 7-8' logs left from those cedars to mill for some projects, thinking about some half log Picnic tables, I have more Ideas, than I do Time or room to work right now:(. We ended up with about a cord and a half of Cedar firewood from those stuff that was smaller than project size or other flaws. We always prized the few cedars we scrounged for Kindling, when I was a kid, but I had way more than I needed for kindling, so we split a bunch firewood size,, and it was better than I expected, not all night burning but, good for in the evenings, and saved the better wood for longer burning when needed. Cedar isn't what I would go looking for, but when it is in the yard, it is easier to haul to the stove than to dump it somewhere, and it does produce BTU's.

Doug - I leaned that Western Red Cedar not only makes great kindling but is fantastic for the "shoulder seasons" where you just need a quick little fire in the mornings or as you said in the evenings. Like today! I'm like you, will burn what I have. Well, except for cottonwood... a guy has to have some self respect! And no disrespect for hiring a pro when needed either.

I really like some of those sheds. Well all of them really. I think they will serve the purpose well for those folks that burn the 2-3-4 cords they will hold in a winter. I have posted pic's of my carport shed before. What I like about the carport is it will hold about 8 full cords. I can access one end to take wood out and the other end to stack wood in. This allows me to always have wood in the dry for the next burning season and constantly rotated.. Another plus is the roof material extends about a foot or so down the sides. This works pretty well to keep the rain out. The roof also kinda acts like a kiln. It heats up pretty hot and I think that speeds up the drying. Last year I cleaned out the whole shed as the pallets were starting to break up. I raked the ground smooth and spread out black plastic to keep moisture from rising from the ground. I then laid pallets on top of the plastic to provide good air flow under the wood. All my pic's are on my old computer so I cant post any up. The best part about my metal carport was that it was free, so it didn't cost anything. All I had to do was move it. I let the carport stay when I sold my house, but I moved about 7 cords of dry wood out from under it. I don't have a stove to burn it in so I will probably wait until cold weather and sell it all off. Once I get started on my new house build, I will be keeping my eyes open looking for another free or very cheap metal carport to use for my new wood shed.. I already have about 3 or 4 cord of tree length wood waiting for me to process at the new house site.

Oh Comeon there BF, don't be Hatin on Cottonwood;)

Nah, I don't go out of my way for it, but it would have cost the HOA to have this removed, a block and a half from the house, better to use it for Heat than PAY to have it removed

Cutting Cottonwood 1.jpg

Cutting Cottonwood 2.jpg
That's my "Old Reliable" 266XP with it's 24"B&C buried, before I bought the 3120XP

Cutting Cottonwood 3.jpg

House in winter 2018.jpg
Not a real good picture of the 4 we had taken down, but they are to the left side of the pic, behind the pick up, gives you an idea why, I had someone else, do the deed, but it was JULY, when Simon did it, so the conditions were, ah, a "Bit more Pleasant" for the task;)

Thought I would update
The wood shed is full of Ash, Locust and Oak. With some more yet to split
I think were good for a year or more.
I added a front overhang and a gutter in the back so water wont pour on the railroad tie base .IMG_0247.jpg IMG_0249.jpg

Until it is... there's 14 cords in there, somewhere. (I don't have horses - so I filled their stalls.)
wood-shed.jpg

I have a wood shed, or half a shed of wood too. It is horrible - NO through ventilation and a north faced opening. Last year my wood was damp when it went in and was damp when it left for the wood box, so not a place for drying wood, only for holding it close to the house. (You guys with true wood sheds probably know what I mean about the importance of air flow.)

(Hey Doug - that's my western red kindling stacked on the right side- no room for cottonwood, nope full up, nu uh, no can do!)

wood-shed-half.jpg

Good Looking wood box there BF:clap:

you probably get more critters than we do.

I do enjoy watching the Hummingbirds on the feeders, the neighborhood Peacock hasn’t visited us lately, but there has been a Bear being a bit of a Pest, a couple blocks away, but so far, he hasn’t come around our place yet

Another neighbor about a quarter mile away has a video of a Cougar in their yard, probably the same one that was bothering some of the dogs around here awhile back

We definitely live in Wildlife country, Fortunately they seem to stay away from our place for the most part

Good Looking wood box there BF:clap:

you probably get more critters than we do.

I do enjoy watching the Hummingbirds on the feeders, the neighborhood Peacock hasn’t visited us lately, but there has been a Bear being a bit of a Pest, a couple blocks away, but so far, he hasn’t come around our place yet

Another neighbor about a quarter mile away has a video of a Cougar in their yard, probably the same one that was bothering some of the dogs around here awhile back

We definitely live in Wildlife country, Fortunately they seem to stay away from our place for the most part

Yes, if you have dogs they will (likely) pass you up. We don't, so we are having a problem with a bear in our apple trees the past few nights, and yes, cougars in our neighborhood too. We have deer and grey squirrels in our yard, much prefer them.

Have been watching a squirrel take apples all day long today and rip across the yard below.

Have watched some twins fawns grow up this summer, and yeah, they eat the roses and apples, but it's worth it. Hummingbirds... check. But Peacocks? Do they wake you up with all that noise hey make?

The bear... not so welcome in the apple trees, and I wish he's s#it somewhere else besides in my lawn too, but at least it's just a black bear.
bear-scratcher.jpg

sq.jpg

5deer.jpg

Back