New Wood Shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Burke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I am building a new wood shed in our back yard and thought I would share a picture with you all.
Its 4' x 16' x 5' in the back 6' in the front...all treated lumber and a metal roof. Should hold about
2 cords of wood. More than enough for our backyard fire pit.

wood shed.jpg

I am wondering one thing about the final thing to do or not to do....I was thinking about putting slats on the back like whats on the ends but I don't really know if its worth it ?
It face's to the east so back side is to the west..but we are in town so the driving rain or snow isn't really a issue I don' think.
I will be putting fresh split wood in it to season.

Thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks

Bet you find out in the end Your wood isn't going to stay as dry as some one who juslt laid tin on top of a stack.
Doesn't appear to be much over hang of the tine and every time a strog storm blows up you will get wind driven rain all over your wood.

:D Al

Bet you find out in the end Your wood isn't going to stay as dry as some one who juslt laid tin on top of a stack.
Doesn't appear to be much over hang of the tine and every time a strog storm blows up you will get wind driven rain all over your wood.

Aren't you Mr Positive this morning ;)

I think he will be fine.

Ive been doing this for nearly 40 years and the wood burns fine.
Yet many here think I should finger print into stacks and cover it for 3 years.

enhance

I guess that local conditions will affect it a lot, but I have to agree with Alleyyooper.

Not to be a Killjoy, but that is very similar to my 2 cord shed, and I ended up adding roll up tarps to all 4 sides.

Where I am at, it is damp and humid enough, that any rain getting on my firewood is an issue.

I roll up the tarps as often as I can, but if it is going to rain, I roll them down.

I have some ideas for Louvered ends and doors, just don't have the TIME for all the projects that I Need to do, never mind the ones that I WANT to do, so I still have tarps, not louvered doors;):(

Doug :cheers:

Thanks for the reply's
This is funny
Aleyyopper says it will get wet ...not enough overhand.....but keeps his wood in a pile in the yard with no cover, I wonder if it gets rained on ?
Or will not stay as dry as just laying a piece of metal on top and then having the wind blow it off.
If I close it in to keep Driving rain out then it won't dry...or put tarps over it and have to babysit it when the rain comes....
I hope I'm not offensive to any of you that took the time to reply...I appreciate the input really
Its just funny that the answers are all over the place
:)

Hi Mike, the answers are "All over the Place", well because AS members live all over the country ;)

Where I live, on the We(s)t slope of the Cascades,it is WET Much of the year, July, August and September is when our Firewood Seasons, if it gets wet outside of then, it doesn't dry out like it might in other places.keeping wood DRY here is imperative.

My 2 cord shed is Very similar to your's, I cut tarps to fit, they are attached at the top, and I have "Canopy Bungees" that stay in place to secure the tarps when rolled up. It is a pretty quick and easy process to roll them up, or let them down, and well worth the effort for me

During the Summer months, if it is just forecast a Light rain, and little to no wind, I leave the tarps up, getting into this time of year, with Heavier, more frequent rain and more wind, they stay down

My tarps are attached to the eave boards, not draped directly on the wood, and the "Floor " of my shed is just vertical 2x6 rails running lengthwise that the wood stacks on, so even with the tarps down, I still get decent circulation

If you get less humidity and rain and wind, you may not need to be as concerned about a bit of rain on your wood

Heck, I've got some top tarped rounds in the driveway that still need to be split, that the exposed ends are showing some mildew/mold:(, just one of the "Joys" of living in the Forests of the Cascade Range

Hi Mike, the answers are "All over the Place", well because AS members live all over the country
Hi Doug
I didn't take that into consideration. Sorry
I live in southeast Iowa where its humid but not any thing like where you live or many the other members here.
It rains here and is dry the next day.
I did have a make shift rack with metal on the roof that was only 24" wide with both sides exposed and the roof sagging.... so this is a Big improvement for me.
I am going to put some green wood (split oak) in it and let it sit till next fall. We'll see how it does.

Thanks again to everyone
I really appreciate the knowledge of all you members.
Your all hardcore wood cutters and I'm just a novice.

Have a Great weekend !!

Hello,
I am building a new wood shed in our back yard and thought I would share a picture with you all.
Its 4' x 16' x 5' in the back 6' in the front...all treated lumber and a metal roof. Should hold about
2 cords of wood. More than enough for our backyard fire pit.

View attachment 761993

I am wondering one thing about the final thing to do or not to do....I was thinking about putting slats on the back like whats on the ends but I don't really know if its worth it ?
It face's to the east so back side is to the west..but we are in town so the driving rain or snow isn't really a issue I don' think.
I will be putting fresh split wood in it to season.

Thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks
Heres the one i just built....
need 3 more treated 2x4x12 s....this one measures ..12' wide..4' deep...8' high in front...7' in the back.....2 3/4-3 cords
0925191533a.jpg
0925191533.jpg

Just burn dry wood off the top and rotation of wood will make everyone happy. :lol: looks good and you will figure out if sides are need for your location. Also, nice walleye there.

I said what I said about your shed because about all I hear is ya got to stack it and leave it for 3 or more years. I say Bull.

If the wood is dead and dry when cut it will burn fine even if in the rain some, but we tend to get snow rather than rain, so the snow doesn't soak in like rain.

I tend to like a tiny bit wet when I bring it into the house to burn any way. The house is dry despite my pot on the furnace full of water and the humidifier. So a bit of wet wood in the house helps with the houses mosture content.
mkKeFw8.jpg

boelPwD.jpg

qOYYGso.jpg

Thanks for the reply's
This is funny
Aleyyopper says it will get wet ...not enough overhand.....but keeps his wood in a pile in the yard with no cover, I wonder if it gets rained on ?
Or will not stay as dry as just laying a piece of metal on top and then having the wind blow it off.
If I close it in to keep Driving rain out then it won't dry...or put tarps over it and have to babysit it when the rain comes....
I hope I'm not offensive to any of you that took the time to reply...I appreciate the input really
Its just funny that the answers are all over the place
:)

Guessing he is burning mostly ash. You can leave that in a hurricane and it's good enough to burn in a month. Takes a long time for oak to season if it is not at least stacked in the sun or wind.

We have Mostly Conifers here, Douglas Fir, is the King of Firewood in my area, with plenty of White Fir, Hemlock as well, and a occasional Tamarack.

Alder is also fairly common in certain areas, generally below where I can usually cut, some Maple, but most of the Oak and other Hardwoods are typically scrounged yard trees.

I have had more Unicorns on my woodsheds, than Oak in them:(

Fortunately July, August and September can be very Hot and Dry, and D Fir can season well, if CSS, EARLY in the season, plus we do get a lot of standing dead, that already has a Low MC when cut, I got into some standing dead that was 13-15% MC in July, that is already putting BTU's into our home:)

We are only about 1,200' elevation at the house, but just up the hill at Government Camp, about 3,500', it is already Snowing, and they had the plows out and working :surprised3: this morning.

Yep, the kind of wood you have, can make a Big difference in how tolerant it is of moisture. I won't go out of my way for Cottonwood, but a couple of years ago, a Big one came down about 2 Blocks from the house, if we didn't cut it and take it, the HOA would have had to PAY someone to remove it, better to make BTU's out of it than Bills, in the end the neighbors and us would have paid for it, even if indirectly.

Cottonwood leaves a LOT to be desired as firewood, but split small, it dries well, puts out BTU's, and save the better wood for later in the season, but Cottonwood, which would be better named SPONGEwood, is one that MUST be kept out of the weather, that stuff will Rot, and STINK to High Heaven in no time if it gets wet, Trust me I KNOW:(, I have burned a lot of it over the years.

Personally I feel the OP has money to spend. So it doesn't really matter how it is put together.
Couldn't fully justify spending that money for a shed just for fire pit wood.

Back