New wood splitter, D.O.A.: Typical reseller/manufacture response?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArboristSiteUser

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to splitting wood. Grew up and lived for nearly 40 years 'in the city'. Now we're in a rural area up a 2 mile mountain road with more frequent power outages than I'd like, and no neighbors in sight. Our 4th winter heating with wood. First 2 winters, we bought pre-cut wood. Last winter, I got a big maul and set of wedges, got about a cord split... great... now I know how, but don't have time or energy to hand split wood. This year decided to buy a 30+ ton wood splitter.

I decided to purchase from online store. It arrived by freight, crated and undamaged. Assembly was easy enough, filled fluids, and began splitting wood. Then I noticed a fine mist in the air... turns out it's a pinhole leak in a weld on hydraulic cylinder. I called retailer, and they offered a few options:
  1. Send replacement hydraulic cylinder to me for installation; or
  2. Take to welding ship to repair cylinder and they would reimburse; or
  3. Take to authorized repair shop to replace cylinder.
The wood splitter has wheels and can go up to 45MPH on road, but it has no DOT lights or license plate (as required by our state), so it would cost additional time and money getting it setup, or finding another trailer to take it to welding shop or repair.

1. Without discussing merits and risks in purchasing online, are the above options reasonable for a new, out-of-crate, piece of equipment?

My thought is this shouldn't be a warranty issue, it's a new product. It's D.O.A. If I wanted to purchase a project, or had time to be replacing cylinders, I would have purchased something used. Asking retailer if they could just take back, they mentioned typically 'gassed' equipment cannot be shipped, but would 'get back to me'. It's been nearly a week, no word back, and I suspect it's not coming.

2. What would be an acceptable solution for a purchase of this type?

I have a personal blog and write product reviews about mountain living, homesteading. So I'm looking for an idea of expectations related to equipment of this type, from this industry. I'm seeking objective opinions from those in the know to offer the best review in my post - so I'm not mentioning retailer or manufacturer yet. Thanks for your time.

Why can't you just weld the cylinder?

That's what I'd do. Ask them for $100 or whatever.

Or pull the cylinder and replace it.

If it’s a splitter from a retail store maybe you can take it to them and have them swap out or return it. Sounds like they are trying to make it right with offering different options to fix it. Most places will not ship anything with gas or oil in it. Maybe ask them if you drain the fluids if they would freight you another one and pick up the broken one.

I personally would take the cylinder replacement. I would then get the old cylinder fixed since they will not ask for it back. And then you have a spare for down the road.

Take the offer on a replacement cylinder paid by them...consider it a lesson learned about online purchasing large value items.

As far as towing the splitter, are you sure that you are required to have a plate and lights? In PA if you can see the tail lights of the towing vehicle the splitter is ok to tow.

I would never bad mouth a supplier who is willing to resolve a problem. Like all mechanical equipment, parts can fail or be bad from the start. Sounds as if they are willing to work with you and you can select an option that works best for you. I would take the new cylinder and replace it myself, replace, bleed and get back to splitting. Hope it all works out.

You play the game you pay the price. Bricks and mortar are different than a website and you are finding that out. Most stuff now a days are sent back to the manufacturers to worry about warranty, the seller wants nothing to do with it. Home Depot, Lowes all of them. It's very important to do your homework before you click on the "add to shopping cart" button. 90% of the guys on here would fix it themselves the other 10% will want a new one shipped to them for free and a 20% gift card for their troubles. Most online retailers don't have enough margin for that. I'm betting you are going to get the run around. Get them to send you the new cylinder and learn how to switch it out, blog about it and be happy. PS, I've only used warranty a couple of times in my life so I might not be the best one to take advise from. I have welders, torches, wrenches and a scrap pile if I can't fix it.

Re-welding a cylinder isn’t as easy as it appears. You almost always get a pinhole leak where you start or stop. That’s why they’re machine welded at the factory. I’d be happy if they offered a new cylinder and paid shipping. They could take the old one back as far as I’m concerned. It’ll only be scrap in the end.

Option one: New cylinder, and you get a chance to learn new skills and terminology of hydraulics, and how messy hydraulic oil can be.
Option two: Having the cylinder welded may require disassembly to prevent damage from the repair, and assumes who you take it to will be competent to do that if needed. In the end, you will have a patch job, that you can practice your painting skills on.
Option three: What is an authorized repair shop, and will they repair or replace the cylinder, and when? And as you mentioned, where are they and how much time will you spend there and back, twice, if the part is not stocked or the repair can not be completed while you wait, plus the other complication you mentioned of licensing.
Option number one is reasonable. Options two and three are more... complicated.

I would just have them ship the new cylinder and replace it your self not a bad job. Its one of the pit falls of buying on line. Sometimes you have to deal with problems because you bought it on line for less money. I buy a lot of items for my farm on line and once in a while a problem like this comes up. Sounds like they are trying to fix the issue.

Welcome to the site. The easiest and fastest thing to do is take the cylinder replacement. If they don't give you that option and you used a credit card to pay for it you can refuse the charges and they will pay attention and then go from there if it comes down to it. Using credit cards comes with stronger consumer protection options then other types of payment.

I don’t think we can adequately discuss this topic without at least touching on the merits/risks of purchasing online.

While I understand your frustration it is the unfortunate conclusion of things being built by the lowest bidder to meet a price point. That being said the seller has offered several reasonable solutions, just not the one you want which is to send you a new one and pick up the old one.

With bigger ticket items this is the norm. If you purchased a car, truck, tractor, or lawn mower from a local dealer and it had a warranty issue it would generally be your responsibility to get it back to the service center/dealer for repair. They would fix it and call when it was done. They would not automatically replace it. A local dealer might offer pickup/delivery for warranty repairs but I would say that would be the exception not the rule. Let’s say you bought the splitter from Lowe’s or tractor supply. They might just replace it, but you would have to transport it.

If it were me I would take the new cylinder and be happy. If you don’t feel comfortable making the repair then haul it too the service center. Check closely on those DOT rules. I don’t know about NC but in Ohio equipment can be towed or driven without plates or lights if the tow vehicle’s lights are not obscured. This does not extend to trailers that are used to haul equipment or vehicles that are used for transportation or to tow trailers/other vehicles.

In NC, he doesnt need tags and lights to tow his wood splitter. As has already been said, take the new cylinder and install it yourself. If you are qualified to write a blog on homesteading and mountain living, you should have the skills to replace the cyl yourself. Dang, its two pins and two hoses, figure it out. If you dont want to wait on shipping , take the cyl off and take it to a welding shop and send the manufacturer the bill, there are many shops around Asheville that can weld up the pinhole. If you cant take the cyl off by yourself, take the whole splitter to the welding shop and they will do it for you. All three options the manufacture gave you are reasonable solutions to the problem.

Wow... I expected maybe a reply or two - but nothing like this... you're all so kind to take time in responding! Obviously, while I love it more than anything (besides my spousal unit), I'm not completely familiar with this mountain life... I'm 100% sure some of the locals see me doing things around the property that seem bizarre. LOL (We have learned how to quickly install and remove tire chains, and just upgraded fence charger to 'bear strength' after a few unfortunate chicken and small pet losses, neighbors suspect bobcat or coyote.) Thank you for all the great advice, exactly what I needed. I'll post when issue has been resolved - with a link to blog post, if that's allowed here... or if not, will just update you.

Latest posts

Back