Newbie Forestry Logging Building Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Anything clear cut is going to cost more to clean up than the land is worth where I'm looking to buy. I've seen a few in the $1200-1500/acre with woods on them. What I haven't inquired about is if that includes the timber rights????

to be clear though, stacking the brush etc should just be part of the logging, its the stumping that gets expensive.

You should be able to burn in LA. [emoji41]

Your main cost will be a contractor with an excavator digging stumps: plan on $100-150 an hr as Northman said.

Northy made very good suggestions.

I would only add that once the forester gives you his view, you should consider the layout, roads, how you want the property to be when finished, etc..

If a fellow has the means to do so, I would cut my own timber for my sawing, buying only what equipment I needed to reach my goal, & then contact a Local logger for the remaining clearing you don’t want to fool with.

Yes, I was mostly wanting to know prices of clean-up if a piece were available that I was considering that was already clear cut. If 20 of 100 acres were already clear cut it looks like the best option would be to replant. My main goal it to buy mostly forested. Cut some for personal use or to clear out an area to put a pond if there's a stream on the property. Something that is partially forested and 10-20% farmland might be ideal. The wife's only stipulation is she wants a stream or pond on the property. Also she doesn't want to live with me in the old '61 airstream that's kinda funky smelling now. Used 10-15 years ago for hunting camp. LOL

If I were buying a piece of property for timber use where you are considering then I would want a forester’s assessment. http://www.forestry.alabama.gov/PDFs/SPB State Map.pdf
JTM. Thanks for that info. Just to be clear. Where the blue dots are located there are beetle infestations located by airplane.

I'm assuming they affect/kill pine species. Do they harm other species as well? If a tree has been killed by beetles is suitable to be harvested for lumber/logs for either frame timber contruction or log home construction?

thanks,
Ken

Yes, I was mostly wanting to know prices of clean-up if a piece were available that I was considering that was already clear cut. If 20 of 100 acres were already clear cut it looks like the best option would be to replant. My main goal it to buy mostly forested. Cut some for personal use or to clear out an area to put a pond if there's a stream on the property. Something that is partially forested and 10-20% farmland might be ideal. The wife's only stipulation is she wants a stream or pond on the property. Also she doesn't want to live with me in the old '61 airstream that's kinda funky smelling now. Used 10-15 years ago for hunting camp. LOL

Love Grows best in Little Places. [emoji12]

Build a homestead cabin first.

Love Grows best in Little Places. [emoji12]

Build a homestead cabin first.
That's what I told her, but she said it ain't happening in that stinky airstream. You know the story, "A happy wife, is a happy life!" That's how I talked her into the 30or40X50shop with the little efficiency appt as "she" now calls it. She's beginning to think it was her idea....:happybanana:. I get the WM a 40X50 shop instead of a 20X20 garage that all my machinist tools are crammed into, and I may get a tractor too. Plus we both get a log cabin, 100 acres of property, and live happily ever after....:havingarest:

That's what I told her, but she said it ain't happening in that stinky airstream. You know the story, "A happy wife, is a happy life!" That's how I talked her into the 30or40X50shop with the little efficiency appt as "she" now calls it. She's beginning to think it was her idea....:happybanana:. I get the WM a 40X50 shop instead of a 20X20 garage that all my machinist tools are crammed into, and I may get a tractor too. Plus we both get a log cabin, 100 acres of property, and live happily ever after....:havingarest:

Go 40’x60’.

16’ side walls if you don’t want a full upstairs.
20’ side walls if you do.

I’ve never heard anybody say they wish they’d built a smaller shop.

If milling the wood a few bugs in the sapwood is ok ,but if its a dead snag tree cut it for firewood ,wood will be too punky or soft to build with.

Go 40’x60’.

Let me further elaborate: a 40’x60’ with an additional 20’ open bay on the back for the sawmill.

40’x80’ roof & Frame.

40’x60’ enclosed space.

Leave min. 8’ On The Back side so you can use your skid steer to keep the sawdust pushed out.

Go 40’x60’.

Yes, I was thinking higher walls would give the heat somewhere to go in the summer too. I'm not sure I like upstairs though unless it's storage for something I don't use. 30 years of climbing stairs in my old corporate job at the mines.

Thanks guys, so the tree will be dead (most likely) where the beetles have invaded the tree. If the wood is the least bit soft/punky it's firewood material, until I get down to solid wood. So kinda means they ain't suitable at all for logs in a log structure.

Got another question. If I'm cutting pines that are 20" 2' or so above the ground, how long of a log will I most likely get before I'm down to 15-16"? Will I be getting 20' logs or is that too much to ask?

JTM. Thanks for that info. Just to be clear. Where the blue dots are located there are beetle infestations located by airplane.

I'm assuming they affect/kill pine species. Do they harm other species as well? If a tree has been killed by beetles is suitable to be harvested for lumber/logs for either frame timber contruction or log home construction?

thanks,
Ken
The blue dots are correct but embarrassed to say I can’t answer your other questions. There’s some very knowledgeable folks on here that maybe could.

Yes, I was thinking higher walls would give the heat somewhere to go in the summer too. I'm not sure I like upstairs though unless it's storage for something I don't use. 30 years of climbing stairs in my old corporate job at the mines.

Mama’s gonna need somewhere to store all her Antiques.

thanks,
Ken

If you catch it in time, you can salvage it.

We’ve caught a few.

You’ll know it when you cut into it.

If the bark is coming off, it’s trash.

Thanks guys, so the tree will be dead (most likely) where the beetles have invaded the tree. If the wood is the least bit soft/punky it's firewood material, until I get down to solid wood. So kinda means they ain't suitable at all for logs in a log structure.

Got another question. If I'm cutting pines that are 20" 2' or so above the ground, how long of a log will I most likely get before I'm down to 15-16"? Will I be getting 20' logs or is that too much to ask?
Kind of sounds like a good place to run CTL all trash tops ect the machines run in the woods, lengths are normally up to 26' with a forwarder, and it's an easy clean way to thin an area. This is off my CTL side in NW Oregon pulp and logs are typically sorted in the woods and as far loading I'd look for a used forwarder it does all the above but cutting which some can do as well.
9cbb83b85b4114917cffd38edaf924fd.jpg
89146724a496c4e14487cd0b375d2219.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, but just looking to harvest enough trees off my own property to build a 40X60 shop and a 2000-3000 sq ft log home.

Thanks, but just looking to harvest enough trees off my own property to build a 40X60 shop and a 2000-3000 sq ft log home.
Yeah I understand that, we did a job a couple of years ago that all we did was pulp the landowner paid us for the logs on a per ton base this might work for you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back