Newbie, Need some assistance before purchasing gear.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FraiedKnot

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been looking for some inexpensive gear so that my 14yr old son and I can spend some quality time together. When I say inexpensive, Its not that I'm cheap, just my budget for this is bill me later...lol If I have to buy it over time, thats fine. Im hoping to get back into apprenticeship with our local linemen. 2 years ago I was able to get my foot in the door but had to drop out to be with my 2 half sisters after my stepmother suffered a brain aneurysm, which she died from. I have some climbing gear which I've been using more and more but for climbing trees. (Thin Bark) And my son's been taking an interest in it, so would love to include him as safely as possible. The prices for the... forgive me if I use the wrong term. here..lol Climbing rope.
I started on amazon looking around and came across BlackDiamond climbing harnesses for $45 each. I'm an XL and sons a Large. Reviews seemed pretty good on them Amazon.com only there from the waist down, For my son would it help if he also had the chest harness as well ??
Then I found an offer for some climbing rope and want to make sure Its a good buy,
2 pieces of True Blue that are each 50' long @ $50
2 pieces of 7/16" Velocity 45' long & 65' long also @ $50
Shipping is $18 for a total of $118. What do you think.
I thank you in advance for any advice, and help.
I've been watching Youtube videos trying to learn bit by bit.
But I'm one thats got to use it or lose it...lol Just dont' want to lose it all.....lol
Thanks

Tree Saddle (black diamond is fall protection, not sit and work position)
Arborist climbing rope. 2x the height of trees you plan to climb
2n1 Safety Lanyard
Rated tri lock carabiners
Friction saver
Helmet
Safety glasses (very important)
Strong knowledge of climbing knots and friction hitches

Those are what I started with and used for a good while in a work climb environment. Trainer wouldnt allow anything less.

Added eye2eye prusiks, tending pulleys ,, throw bag/line and other items to make things easier and mostly more efficient for work. Will be adding a foot ascender some day

I am still climb drt until I save and possible switch to rope wrench/foot ascender.

Good Luck!

It's a Great hobby but not cheap. Arborplex rope is $69 for 120 feet at wespur. I've used a black diamond harness for a long time, It's for walls but it was cheap. My weaver saddle is way better . Plus a biner and a helmet and you're good to go probably $200 to get started with the barest gear :rock:

Buy only new rope, you can't really check out most so you have to KNOW if it has been stressed. Harness, or as most here refer to as saddles, belts and most other gear can be inspected so pawn shops can often provide you with economical lightly used stuff. I think you should avoid mechanical climbing aids and concentrate on knots at first. If you get gaffs, practice only on trees that will be taken down. Poles get splintery and the holes left in trees invite insects and microbes that kill or damage living trees.

A hasty harness might let the boy find out if climbing is something he wants to try without much expense.

you need a tree saddle. not a rock climbing harness or fall protection harness. unless you like pain. 50' of rope will get you 20' up. you lose for knots, branch diameter and the fact that you cant climb all the way to your tie in. shop on bartlettman.com free shipping and the lowest prices I have found.

saddle cheap $80
rope cheap $80
carabiners cheap $12 each x2
hard hat cheap $10

that's gonna get you off the ground but not with any real comfort.

Go to treestuff.com some of the best price's. Be safe and have lots of fun. There is nothing like a climb in a huge living and breathing moving organism. So much better than a cold rock face.

Research this for yourself because I don't know for sure if it is true. I have heard that you can suffer from suspension trauma when using a rock climbing harness and just sitting in it. The rock climbing harness can potentially restrict the blood flow to your legs when just sitting and cause problems including death.

I have the basic new tribe saddle and I have sat in it for 20 minutes with no problems that I could detect.

Go to treeclimbers.com and see if there are any climbers in you area that you can climb with. Some of the tree climbing clubs have climbing days where first time climbers can come and use the clubs gear to climb. In Atlanta, Ga. Peter Jenkins has climb days and you can climb for around $20.

So is there starter kits that anyone would recommend? Sorry for the hijack but I thought the question may help the OP also.

Check out Sherill Tree.com or TreeGear.au for all your climbing gear needs. I recommend the Petzl saddle since I have one and it's awesome. I'd get a double suspension saddle if I was you too. Wayyy nicer on the legs.

Latest posts

Back