Newer Gas Ryobi Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This,. ZRRY3714 Ryobi may be a newer Ryobi. I'm not sure but it's sold by Home Depot. The video I saw shows it has an adjustable automatic oiler. On the video the saw ran and cut well. I thought the Gas and Oil caps were located strangely. It may be easy to get confused and put oil in the gas or viscera.

Is the ZRRY a New designation?

I'm looking for a small light Chainsaw to carry on my Tractor for trimming over hanging limbs on the trail. I can get a 14 inch Poulan for about the same price. The Poulan has a 1 year non commercial warranty while the Ryobi has 3. I'm wondering if that's an indication of quality. Also and adjustable oiler is something not often seen on a lower price saw.
Has anyone used BOTH of these saws?
Does anyone have any knowledge about these saws and the differences?
We all have opinions but experience is more like what I'm seeking.
I have 3 Sthils, an old Poulan and 2 echoes so NO, I'm not gonna spend much more than 100$. In fact I'm probably gonna get a refurbished. Something I can toss around and toss away without feeling bad. A lot of people have 3 year and older Ryobi and Poulan. I know some of them were decent. How about the newer saws? Are the new Ryobi Chinese? Poulan ?Thanks

This,. ZRRY3714 Ryobi may be a newer Ryobi. I'm not sure but it's sold by Home Depot. The video I saw shows it has an adjustable automatic oiler. On the video the saw ran and cut well. I thought the Gas and Oil caps were located strangely. It may be easy to get confused and put oil in the gas or viscera.

Is the ZRRY a New designation?

I'm looking for a small light Chainsaw to carry on my Tractor for trimming over hanging limbs on the trail. I can get a 14 inch Poulan for about the same price. The Poulan has a 1 year non commercial warranty while the Ryobi has 3. I'm wondering if that's an indication of quality. Also and adjustable oiler is something not often seen on a lower price saw.
Has anyone used BOTH of these saws?
Does anyone have any knowledge about these saws and the differences?
We all have opinions but experience is more like what I'm seeking.
I have 3 Sthils, an old Poulan and 2 echoes so NO, I'm not gonna spend much more than 100$. In fact I'm probably gonna get a refurbished. Something I can toss around and toss away without feeling bad. A lot of people have 3 year and older Ryobi and Poulan. I know some of them were decent. How about the newer saws? Are the new Ryobi Chinese? Poulan ?Thanks
OK, let me update my post.

Research leads me to conclude that the ZRRY3714 designation is used to indicate the saw is a RY3714 that's refurbished.

Yesterday May 10, 2018, I bought a bran new RY3714 at Home Depot.
It started the 3rd pull. Runs great, cuts great and is lighter than the old Poulan 2150. I've ran two tanks of fuel through it and love it so far.
The 16 inch bar and chain on my Worx 15 amp electric saw fits and oils well.
The 14 inch Oregon bar and s52 chain I already had on hand fits perfectly.
The 37 cc engine has lots of pep. Similar to the Poulan 2150 in size. May be the same designed motor. Could be like a Homelight design.
I had to adjust the automatic oiler so the oil don't flow so fast it's empty before running out of fuel.
Inspection, the clutch is similar to the Poulan. It's not wide. The brake belt is metal but narrow. Amazingly the chain catcher is metal not plastic like the Echo cs310.
This saw reminds me of the cs310 but has a tiny bit more weight and power. If this holds up well I'm happy. It's a lot of saw for 109 bucks.
The oil and gas caps are located differently than any saw I've seen but I like that too.
It restarts easily. Even at idle. May be a great saw.
Time will tell. It states made in China on it but that's not necessarily bad.

I'll update this when more information is available.
Maybe someone has more information they can share.
Thanks.

OK, let me update my post.

Research leads me to conclude that the ZRRY3714 designation is used to indicate the saw is a RY3714 that's refurbished.

Yesterday May 10, 2018, I bought a bran new RY3714 at Home Depot.
It started the 3rd pull. Runs great, cuts great and is lighter than the old Poulan 2150. I've ran two tanks of fuel through it and love it so far.
The 16 inch bar and chain on my Worx 15 amp electric saw fits and oils well.
The 14 inch Oregon bar and s52 chain I already had on hand fits perfectly.
The 37 cc engine has lots of pep. Similar to the Poulan 2150 in size. May be the same designed motor. Could be like a Homelight design.
I had to adjust the automatic oiler so the oil don't flow so fast it's empty before running out of fuel.
Inspection, the clutch is similar to the Poulan. It's not wide. The brake belt is metal but narrow. Amazingly the chain catcher is metal not plastic like the Echo cs310.
This saw reminds me of the cs310 but has a tiny bit more weight and power. If this holds up well I'm happy. It's a lot of saw for 109 bucks.
The oil and gas caps are located differently than any saw I've seen but I like that too.
It restarts easily. Even at idle. May be a great saw.
Time will tell. It states made in China on it but that's not necessarily bad.

I'll update this when more information is available.
Maybe someone has more information they can share.
Thanks.
May, 14, 2018,
Sadly the Ryobi didn't work out.
From day one it ran very hot.
I thought maybe after break in it would cool down but something happened and the saw begin to loose power.
Today it would not start.
I believe the saw was set to lean from the factory.
If it had come with adjustable carb screws I'd have immediately opened the high speed needle and maybe the saw would have ran a lot longer.
The saw was returned and my local Echo dealer gave me a super good deal on an Echo 352.
I know the Echo will be good because I ask them to richen the high speed needle before I left.
Sometimes a dealer will give a 20% discount and that makes Echo affordable.
I guess I'm done with Ryobi Chainsaws.

It's good size saw for pruning and things like you are using it for. My old poulan 2050 is still going. It's been running 120psi for a while now and keeps going. I try to kill it. I had the bar burried for about a half an hour last weekend and it was running hot but its still trucking. I have always been curious about the royobi since it's a copy of the poulan. My dad has the red homelite that was maybe or still is the same saw and I guess he has issues with it.

I can't bring myself to buy a new small saw since that size saw gets the least amount of maintenance and takes a beating. Any other saw I cut some wood then clean it and sharpen it. The little guy gets started up then used then shut off until the next time. Not the best thing for an engine. But it keeps going.

Back