Next generation Stihl 50cc saw = 254XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my 254xpg. I have the opportunity to buy a 262xp in very good condition. The guy baught it in 2000 and said he has only cut about 20 cord of hardwood with it. For the condition of the saw, it looks like he is telling the truth. He was asking $250 but said he will take $200. I have never run one and I'm wondering if they are a true step above the 254. Can anyone give some first hand knowledge of the performance difference in the two, and if they handle as well or better.

I love my 254xpg. I have the opportunity to buy a 262xp in very good condition. The guy baught it in 2000 and said he has only cut about 20 cord of hardwood with it. For the condition of the saw, it looks like he is telling the truth. He was asking $250 but said he will take $200. I have never run one and I'm wondering if they are a true step above the 254. Can anyone give some first hand knowledge of the performance difference in the two, and if they handle as well or better.

Yes, the 262xp is a big step above a 254xp. I'd get one if I found a deal like that!

The 254 weighs less.

Good saw, but the 261 is the same size as a 357xp. Maybe even wider. :msp_scared:

Yeah well I have 3 tanks through a new 261 and I have say I'm not super impressed so far unless it wakes up after a few more tanks. It's not even in the same universe as my 555 with pretty much the same weight. It's up for sale as I will buy another 555 or a 550 if it sells. If not I hope it gets better!

Yeah well I have 3 tanks through a new 261 and I have say I'm not super impressed so far unless it wakes up after a few more tanks. It's not even in the same universe as my 555 with pretty much the same weight. It's up for sale as I will buy another 555 or a 550 if it sells. If not I hope it gets better!

The 555 is a game changer! 60cc saw that is the same size as some 50cc saws. Be careful comparing it to lesser saws. ;)

3.9 hp is "conservative" power specs for the 254xp. ;)

I wouldn't think ST would have an issue with the HP quoted herein, but with the weight. There is no way the MS261 weighs 11.9 lbs - 2 ounces more than a 346XP NE. I was issued a 261 for work and given the option of using that with a 16" bar or a 341. I thot they weighed close enough it didn't matter, and I used the 341 instead. They both handled like dogs, btw. I eventually replaced them with a lightly ported Echo cs-520. My guess is that 261 weighs closer to 12.5lbs, which puts it at about 7 ounces shy of an MS361. Unported, they are sluggish on throttle - exactly what you don't want out of a 50cc saw. The new m-tronic better fix that.

I wouldn't think ST would have an issue with the HP quoted herein, but with the weight. There is no way the MS261 weighs 11.9 lbs - 2 ounces more than a 346XP NE. I was issued a 261 for work and given the option of using that with a 16" bar or a 341. I thot they weighed close enough it didn't matter, and I used the 341 instead. They both handled like dogs, btw. I eventually replaced them with a lightly ported Echo cs-520. My guess is that 261 weighs closer to 12.5lbs, which puts it at about 7 ounces shy of an MS361. Unported, they are sluggish on throttle - exactly what you don't want out of a 50cc saw. The new m-tronic better fix that.

I don't understand how you can say that 11.9 lbs is just two ounces more than a NE346xp - but I agree that the 261 doesn't handle like a 50cc saw should! :givebeer:

I owned a lot of 254's and a couple of 262's and I have always said the 254 is the best saw husky ever made.

Until I MM'ed my 550. :msp_biggrin:

I don't understand how you can say that 11.9 lbs is just two ounces more than a NE346xp - but I agree that the 261 doesn't handle like a 50cc saw should! :givebeer:

original.jpg

Wes, I have weighed quite a few 346s. Most weigh 11.33lbs, but I have seen three or four that were 11lb 7oz. I have not been able to see a difference in the saws, but it is not a scale error. I regularly use my scales to weigh boxes for postage, and my scale is always within .5oz of the PO scales. I also have checked mine against the PB postage meter at work and it is within a couple .1's of an ounce using a 10lb dumb bell. I also know that all saws are "clean" and drained. There might be an ounce of gunk, bar oil, and fuel in the lines, combined, but it is a very close weight.

11.9 lbs is quite a bit more than 11 lbs 9 oz - and 11 lbs 7 oz is quite a bit less than 11.7 lbs. :msp_wink:

Also, that 346 is an E-tech, which adds a couple of ounces.

Quibble all you want about a few ounces; all I know is since I put together my 254xp I've barely used either my 026 or ms361. And I sold the ne346xp i had picked up :eek2:

Latest posts

Back