• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Next saw Stihl MS 271 or MS 261 C-M ?

Kel71

Kel71

ArboristSite Operative
I want to pick up a new saw. I have a 4 yr old Dolmar 5105.
My 5105 is in good shape and I can trade in to a new 271 for $100 or less.
Going up to a new 261 C-M would cost me about $275.
Saw will be used about 10-12 hours a month + work around my place and any
future storm damage.

Kel71

Kel71

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for the replies. I really like the 5105. It's just that it has more than a
few hours on it and there are no dealers around here.
I'm cutting less and was wondering about stepping down to a farm/ranch saw.
I really like the 261. The extra $ over the 271 isn't that bad. I guess it's a case
of buy once cry once. Anyway I really like the 261.

ammoaddict

ammoaddict

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks for the replies. I really like the 5105. It's just that it has more than a
few hours on it and there are no dealers around here.
I'm cutting less and was wondering about stepping down to a farm/ranch saw.
I really like the 261. The extra $ over the 271 isn't that bad. I guess it's a case
of buy once cry once. Anyway I really like the 261.
That Dolmar will last many many more years. 4 years old with 10-12 hours a month is nothing for that saw . If you like it, keep it. I wouldn't worry about a dealer, you can get anything you need for it online. If you really want a 261, then go get you one.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Kel71

Kel71

ArboristSite Operative
Dolmar has more than 10-12 hours a month on it. Probably
more like 6-8 hours per week. It still looks good and I can
easily get 300 maybe 350 for it.

Future cutting hours on replacement is only a prediction.
(Saw will be used about 10-12 hours a month + work around my
place and any future storm damage.)

82F100SWB

82F100SWB

ArboristSite Operative
Between those two saws, 261 no question, I have both, they are dimensionally the same, and even share the same piston, but run them side by side and the 271 is a heavy slow slug of a thing. Never ran a Dolmar like yours, but if it still runs well I wouldn't be too concerned about continuing to use it, 6-8 hours a week is still nothing on a quality saw.

LonestarStihl

LonestarStihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dolmar has more than 10-12 hours a month on it. Probably
more like 6-8 hours per week. It still looks good and I can
easily get 300 maybe 350 for it.

Future cutting hours on replacement is only a prediction.
(Saw will be used about 10-12 hours a month + work around my
place and any future storm damage.)
Obviously when it comes down to it, if you want to trade it in for a new saw then do it. What matters is that you are happy with the saw and get what you want because you’re the one that has to run it.

I think everyone on here will agree the 261 will hands down be the one to get over the 271, without question. For the price difference it’s an investment in a higher quality saw that will take care of you.

I don’t know anything about the Dolmar saws and don’t like them because to me they look funny :). But tons of guys love them so there’s that. But back to what I said first, if you want to trade it in for another saw then go for it...or keep it and get another saw you have a backup :)

computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
I fail to see the point in selling off a perfectly good 5100/5105 to get either of those two saws, frankly.

The 271 would be a step backward. The 261 would be a wash, functionally the same as what you have. If you want a new saw, fine, but don’t think for a minute you need a new one here.

nettle

nettle

ArboristSite Member
I had a MS260 that I was never very happy with and considered both the MS271 and the MS261C-M for a replacement. The MS271 and MS260 have the same HP.

I went with the 261C-M which has 1/2 more HP. The improved performance of my 261C-M verses my old MS260 is pretty substantial. The 261C-M is whole different level of saw.